• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
October 26, 2020, 17:01:43 PM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2337
Latest: Tbird479
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150340
Total Topics: 14503
Most Online Today: 534
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 32
Guests: 364
Total: 396

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Eat jellyfish instead of fish and chips to save endangered species, scientists say

Conservationists revealed that close to a hundred endangered species, caught in oceans around the world, have ended up on diner's plates

Scientists have found jellyfish to be rich in vitamin B12, magnesium, iron, and low in calories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/21/eat-jellyfish-instead-fish-chips-save-endangered-species-scientists/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Plans laid for dam removal in Whychus Creek

Barrier removals open up 38 miles of stream for fish

>>>For Chinook salmon heading upstream in Whychus Creek in search of prime spawning grounds, the journey is about to become much easier.

Work is underway to remove the Plainview Dam, a barrier that for decades prevented fish from migrating to the farthest reaches of Whychus Creek.

Work to remove the dam started earlier this month and was planned for completion by late October. The recent fires and smoke impacting Oregon temporarily halted the project, but organizers remain hopeful the work to remove the dam can resume this fall, according to Kris Knight, executive director of the Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, which is leading and managing the project.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/environment/plans-laid-for-dam-removal-in-whychus-creek/article_31374fa4-f940-11ea-8d7d-53c029ff3bd3.html

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Plan to use fish killer rotenone in N.B. lake, river delayed by environmental assessment

>>Salmon conservation groups are now watching the clock as invasive smallmouth bass, already known to have arrived in the Miramichi River, approach spawning age.

A plan to eradicate the invasive fish this month by spraying the water with the fish-killing pesticide rotenone on a 15–kilometre section of the river and to Miramichi Lake is now on hold after New Brunswick's Minister of Environment, Jeff Carr determined the project must first undergo an environmental impact assessment.

The fish were first spotted in August 2019 in the McKiel Brook pool of the river's southwest branch.

More than 100 smallmouth bass have since been captured in an attempt to limit their spread in the river or in Lake Brook, the avenue they are believed to have used to migrate from nearby Miramichi Lake.

All were between 19 and 28 centimetres long. Female smallmouth are believed to be large enough to spawn sometime after reaching 28 centimetres, or between four and five years of age.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/invasive-species-smallmouth-bass-rotenone-fish-pesticide-lake-river-treatment-poison-1.5732853

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>> In the Pacific Northwest, Native Americans paint images of salmon on to stones. They say that if you rub those stones you will acquire the fish's two great qualities: determination and energy. Not so long ago these communities' diets consisted of more than 80 per cent salmon, and they believed it to be a wondrous thing that the migratory fish returned on the same week every year. They also believed they 'owed the salmon respect and gratitude' — and if they failed in this they might stop coming back.

In the 19th and 20th centuries their fears were realised. But it wasn't Native Americans who were disrespectful to the once abundant salmon; it was those who came from Europe, with a wish to get rich and tame the wild. Mark Kurlansky's book is an epic, environmental tragedy, with the salmon at its centre as the abused hero, and a long list of supporting characters, from Scottish fly fishermen to Japan's indigenous Ainu people.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/born-to-be-wild-the-plight-of-salmon-worldwide

me -There's a season?

Aka

September 27, 2020, 10:00:07 AM #304 Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:12:11 AM by Aka
A couple scenes in this are from the river I grew up on. At 0:56, I used to camp back in the woods there in high school. We'd fish during the day and drink beer around the camp at night. At 2:05 is the flood plain on the lower section of the river where the mouth of the river meets Cook Inlet. As sobering as this is it's still neat to see images of the river I grew up fishing.

Woolly Bugger

The governors of the four Pacific Northwest states pledged Friday to work together, and with Native PNW govs. to work together on restoring fish runs
Agreement between Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Montana leaders says tribes, stakeholders will also be involved in plansAmerican tribes and regional stakeholders, to restore Columbia River salmon and steelhead stocks.

>>>The executives signed a letter of agreement that outlines their commitment to develop a collaborative process aimed at finding actions that will help the region meet robust goals set by the Columbia River Partnership Task Force, a group sanctioned by federal fisheries officials that met over the past three years. The group's goals far exceed delisting criteria for wild salmon and steelhead runs protected under the Endangered Species Act.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/pnw-govs-to-work-together-on-restoring-fish-runs/article_9931caaa-e0cc-5c80-8424-1a75cbe662be.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Study will investigate the genetic impact of escaped farmed salmon

>>>One of the most comprehensive studies of wild Atlantic salmon genetics, which aims to gauge the impact of any interbreeding between wild and escaped farm-raised salmon, has been launched today

The study has been launched in response to a recent escape of farm-raised salmon and will be managed by the wild-fish conservation body Fisheries Management Scotland, supported by scientists from Marine Scotland Science, and funded by Mowi Scotland.

The multi-year study of 115 sites aims to confirm wild salmon's current genetic profile and to track for the potential of genetic changes should interbreeding of farmed and wild salmon occur.

In late August, Mowi Scotland confirmed that 48,834 farm-raised salmon escaped from its Carradale farm in the Firth of Clyde after it became detached from its seabed anchors during a combination of strong weather events.

https://thefishsite.com/articles/study-will-investigate-the-genetic-impact-of-escaped-farmed-salmon

me -There's a season?

#CommissionsEarned

+-Recent Topics

New River 2020 by Onslow
Today at 16:32:51 PM

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by Woolly Bugger
Today at 14:35:47 PM

Corona Virus by troutrus
Today at 04:47:59 AM

2021 BRFFF Roundup by Onslow
October 25, 2020, 19:56:25 PM

Smith-Continued by Woolly Bugger
October 25, 2020, 09:06:40 AM