Lake Rim (JEPFEC) "Take a Kid Fishing"

Started by Al, June 02, 2007, 20:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Today, (Saturday, June 2, 2007), I volunteered to help at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center (JEPFEC), "Take a Kid Fishing" event. The event was a joint effort of the NCWRC and Fayetteville Parks & Recreation. Walmart donated several hundred dollars worth of fishing related door prizes.

Kids and their parents were allowed to fish six ponds which contained catfish, bass and sunfish. With the exception of the bass pond, the ponds all contained hundreds and perhaps thousands of fish. I am not aware of anyone who did not catch at least one fish. Most caught many more then that.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Over 500 adults signed in. Each adult was accompanied by one or more children. You do the math. We had a bunch of folks.

This young fellow could catch them but required my assistance in posing for the picture.

One pond recently received 75 bass, ranging from two pounds to over seven pounds. These were brood stock that are no longer productive that came from one of the nearby hatcheries. They were brought to the JEPFEC as training assistances for the Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic which will be held on Saturday, June 9th. Because of the huge turn out for the "Take a Kid Fishing" event we opened that pond for fishing and several bass in the 4-6 pound range where caught and released.

In addition to fishing, many of the kids competed in a casting competition. Top casters won some fairly significant prizes.

Smiles, that is what it is all about.

Everyone had fun. The number one question of the day was, "When are you going to have another event like this"?  The answer to that question is, Saturday, June 16th (Two weeks from now) when the NCWRC and the FP&RC will host a Fathers Day, "Take Dad Fishing" event.

lepomis_mcro

thats some wonderful work you guys are doing there AL. you seem to be making alot of kids happy with a sport they can spend the rest of their lives having fun with.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

phg

That looks great.  Are there any more kids dates?  I'd love to bring my granddaughter down....

Al

Quote from: phg on June 04, 2007, 15:59:28 PM
That looks great.  Are there any more kids dates?  I'd love to bring my granddaughter down....

I expect there are but do not have dates. Check when you are down here doing your volunteer thing this Saturday for the Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic.

I think once the new building is finished the JEPFEC will have it's own website for schedules and other information. Things are in flux right now due to all the construction going on.

troutphisher

Very nice!!!! they could be the future fisher's
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Bloy

WOW! :o :o What a great turn out! How is the construction coming on the JEPFEC center? Seems like when I was there in February it was only framed out.
Great work Al!
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Al

Quote from: Bloy on June 06, 2007, 10:05:29 AM
WOW! :o :o What a great turn out! How is the construction coming on the JEPFEC center? Seems like when I was there in February it was only framed out.
Great work Al!
Barry

It is shaping up pretty well, but like all construction projects there have been delays. Right now they are talking about having the Grand Opening sometime in September.