• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
November 28, 2020, 06:04:55 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2341
Latest: Rock_N_TN
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150688
Total Topics: 14534
Most Online Today: 477
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 15
Guests: 467
Total: 482

New River 2020

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 24, 2020, 22:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Now that the sf new is finally below 500 cfs (498 to be exact) more rain is on the way  n!n
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

October 25, 2020, 07:08:02 AM #1 Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 14:37:20 PM by Onslow
Smallmouth fishing is screwed all over in our part of the world. I'm of the opinion the majority of the Yadkin watershed smallmouth fishery has collapsed. There are still some around, but it is about 30 % of what is was a decade ago. Every year since 2013, there has been at least one flood event during the spawn.  This past year has been the least painful.

3.4 inches in the rain gage in Elkin.  1.5 inches @ Kerr Scott Dam.

I'll just say it, I caught my 16 incher out of Burkes Fork in VA, lol.

RiverbumCO

The Ararat and Fisher are garbage. The Mitchell is ok if you get off the beaten path but they are dinky. Yadkin has those stupid canoe only launches so you can't get a raft in there to fish it properly. Plus it's nearly always yoo-hoo.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Fin

QuoteSmallmouth fishing is screwed all over in our part of the world

To your point, I talked to a guide in VA that said he and others are actively lobbying VA fish and game to take a more active (ie, stocking) role in Virginia's ailing smallmouth fisheries.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Here's to hoping they are successful.   

troutrus

Roanoke River (aka Staunton), appears to be the best choice for brown bass at this time.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/fishing/forecasts-and-reports/river-fishing-report/#region-2

Onslow

Quote from: RiverbumCO on October 25, 2020, 20:11:50 PMThe Ararat and Fisher are garbage. The Mitchell is ok if you get off the beaten path but they are dinky. Yadkin has those stupid canoe only launches so you can't get a raft in there to fish it properly. Plus it's nearly always yoo-hoo.

The A doesn't fish well when flows are in the 300s or higher. Best flows are between 100 cfs or less, and 200 cfs. I wouldn't touch the Yadkin if running more than 850 cfs in Elkin.

It will get dry again, but when it does the Yadkin won't be good for rafting in may areas.  Some of the best Y fisherman gain private access, fish one pool from a jon boat. One can fish the Y from a canoe if said canoe is rigged with a trolly anchor system, and if the flows are ok.

There is only one "canoe access" on the Y, and that is at Burch.  There are ramps at Ronda, Elkin, 601, and I believe the new access at Donaha is also a ramp.  I'll check it out soon. One can also access the river at Rockford, and launch, but a raft would need to be lifted off the trailer to launch. The most attractive float is between 601 and Rockford.  The most quiet float is between Rockford and shoals.

If I had a raft, I'd do a 3 day expedition on a 17 mile beat I will not name, some 15 mile up from where Dave fishes. That is on my bucket list, but water has been too high in recent years. 

+-Recent Topics

unlimited odds and ends by Woolly Bugger
Today at 01:00:15 AM

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles... by Woolly Bugger
November 27, 2020, 09:18:45 AM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Sedition and Pockets
November 26, 2020, 10:06:56 AM

Unlimited Everything Everglades.... by Woolly Bugger
November 26, 2020, 09:28:38 AM

Native Tree/Plant Plight by Woolly Bugger
November 26, 2020, 09:05:47 AM

Wet Wading in November by Woolly Bugger