• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
November 28, 2020, 09:45:27 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2341
Latest: Rock_N_TN
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150689
Total Topics: 14534
Most Online Today: 507
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 470
Total: 482

Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 02, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Feds formally adopt salmon, dams plan
Strategy calls for Snake River dams to stay, more water to be spilled to help salmon runs

>>>The federal government formally adopted its salmon and dams management strategy Tuesday that relies on spilling water at Snake and Columbia river dams to speed juvenile fish to the ocean but keeps the four lower Snake River dams in place.

The Army Corps of Engineers, Bonneville Power Administration and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation issued a Record of Decision committing the agencies to a plan centered on balancing the needs of Endangered Species Act-protected salmon and steelhead with carbon-free hydropower production and efficient barge transportation on the Columbia and lower Snake rivers.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/feds-formally-adopt-salmon-dams-plan/article_0ec395f4-a14d-5a7b-83a5-11cf167a54f1.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

October 16, 2020, 07:35:04 AM #31 Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:37:02 AM by Woolly Bugger
Africa's largest dam powers dreams of prosperity in Ethiopia — and fears of hunger in Egypt

As the reservoir fills on the Blue Nile, people in both countries are preparing for changes the dam may bring

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2020/grand-ethiopian-renaissance-dam-egypt-nile/?no_nav=true&tid=a_classic-iphone

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 16, 2020, 07:35:04 AMAfrica's largest dam powers dreams of prosperity in Ethiopia — and fears of hunger in Egypt

As the reservoir fills on the Blue Nile, people in both countries are preparing for changes the dam may bring

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2020/grand-ethiopian-renaissance-dam-egypt-nile/?no_nav=true&tid=a_classic-iphone

This will not end well.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Washington state tribes, utility consider old dam's removal

>>>SEATTLE (AP) — Tribal leaders in northern Washington state have announced an effort to determine the feasibility and costs associated with removal of a dam that has not generated electricity since 1958.

The Enloe Dam, built 100 years ago, blocks fish from reaching the Similkameen River and is of no use to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation wanting to bring salmon back to the river, The Seattle Times reported.

"It's got to go," tribal business council Chair Rodney Cawston said, as he watched the river cascade over the 54-foot (16-meter) dam. "Our people have lived off salmon for thousands of years. This is of just huge importance to us."

https://tulsaworld.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/washington-state-tribes-utility-consider-old-dams-removal/article_27fdcab6-5587-55a4-93db-01808013a20b.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

For over a century, one of the most important salmon runs in the United States has had to contend with historic dams – and now four of them are set to be taken down.

>>>"My great uncle and my grandma and my great grandparents and, I'm sure, their great grandparents: they were all fishermen. That's just what they did – they fished and it was out of necessity to support their families. And it's because that's what we've always done and we've never known another life," says Amy Cordalis, the general counsel of the Yurok, and a member of California's largest indigenous tribe.

It's hard to overstate how important this livelihood has been to the Yurok people who have lived for millennia in rural Northern California. And yet this livelihood has been diminishing for decades after the Klamath River – which flows through the tribe's territory – was dammed for hydroelectricity. But now, after years of painstaking negotiations, the fortunes of the Yurok could be set to change, with the largest dam removal project in US history given the green light.

Although she grew up in Ashland, Oregon, Cordalis would often visit Requa, a tiny village near the mouth of the Klamath River in northern California, to see family, attend tribal ceremonies – and to fish. Her father – "the ultimate Yurok fisherman" – had four daughters and a son, and he taught all of them to fish.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201110-the-largest-dam-removal-project-in-american-history

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A coalition of environmental and fishing groups are suing a water district in southern Oregon over an aging, privately owned dam that they say hinders the passage of struggling salmon populations in the pristine North Umpqua River.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Eugene, asks a judge to order the Winchester Water Control District to build a new fish ladder and make major repairs to Winchester Dam, which dates to 1890 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The dam is one of the oldest in Oregon.

https://www.middletownpress.com/news/article/Fishing-environmental-groups-sue-over-Umpqua-15717520.php

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Klamath River deal revives plan for major dam demolition to save salmon

>>>ORTLAND, Ore. —  An agreement announced Tuesday paves the way for the largest dam demolition in U.S. history, a project that promises to reopen hundreds of miles of waterway along the Oregon-California border to salmon that are critical to tribes but have dwindled to almost nothing in recent years.

If it goes forward, the deal would revive plans to remove four massive hydroelectric dams on the lower Klamath River, emptying giant reservoirs and reopening potential fish habitat that's been blocked for more than a century. The massive project would be at the vanguard of a trend toward dam demolitions in the U.S. as the structures age and become less economically viable amid growing environmental concerns about the health of native fish.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-11-17/apnewsbreak-deal-revives-plan-for-largest-us-dam-demolition

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

B.C. outdoor group calls for removal of U.S. dam
Defunct obstruction on Similkameen River cuts off 500 km of Canadian salmon habitat

>>>A B.C. outdoor group is hoping some cross-border diplomacy will lead to the dismantling of a defunct dam in Washington State that's blocked salmon runs into Canada for the past century.

The Enole Dam is concrete wall, 18-metre tall, 88-metres wide, constructed around 1920 near Oroville, WA, about 11 km south of Osoyoos. Designed without fish ladders to enable fish migration, it eliminated salmon and steelhead runs from the Similkameen River and its tributaries flowing from B.C. through Manning Provincial Park and past the communities of Princeton, Hedley, Keremeos and Cawston.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/b-c-outdoor-group-calls-for-removal-of-u-s-dam/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Huge dam demolition could save salmon on the edge of extinction

Spring-run Chinook salmon, critical to Indigenous fishers along the Klamath River, are in steep decline. But two recent developments may offer a path to their recovery.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2020/11/dam-removal-project-genetic-discovery-could-be-good-news-for-key-salmon-species/

me -There's a season?

+-Recent Topics

Movie Thread. by Woolly Bugger
Today at 08:46:05 AM

unlimited odds and ends by Woolly Bugger
Today at 01:00:15 AM

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles... by Woolly Bugger
November 27, 2020, 09:18:45 AM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Sedition and Pockets
November 26, 2020, 10:06:56 AM

Unlimited Everything Everglades.... by Woolly Bugger
November 26, 2020, 09:28:38 AM

Native Tree/Plant Plight by Woolly Bugger