• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2331
Latest: CBarclay
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 149791
Total Topics: 14465
Most Online Today: 436
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 25
Guests: 385
Total: 410

Simms or Orvis LW boots

Started by Big J, January 02, 2020, 19:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Wading boots are ok, but as with waders, they are not essentials.  Forgot them one day while creekin this past year, with pair of Merrills, and all went well.  My next pair of wading boots will be a pair of Bethel tactical boots that can be purchased at Robbies in Mt. Airy NC.

I've had too many slip incidents on mud/wet dirt that nearly put me on some rocks that would have resulted in serious injury. I believe conventional vibram soles are generally more functional for the overall fishing experience which also involves hiking/hill scrambling. 

Dougfish

I'm hiking in lightweight boots and wading (what little there is) in even lighter sandals. GT are the other GT.
 :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " <br />-Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

If there's any distance to it I usually use my hiking shoes nowadays and slide the wading boots on once I get to the fishing part. My Merrell hiking shoes do not do well in streams concerning grip, not at all. @Onslow - what type do you use? Also, Robbie's is a no-go for me.  p;-

driver

I forgot my wading boots one day. So I wore what I had on. Keen Detroit Mids. On land these are the grippyest shoes I have ever worn. And they did exceptionally well on the stream. But I do have to keep in mind this was a high elevation granite brookie creek with very few slick rocks.

That also being said hiking boots are not designed to be wet all the time arlnd are likely to fall apart and rot quicker than a wading boot.

With all that being said, I've had good luck with Simms in the higher price ranges. Freestones... not so much.

+-Recent Topics

Corona Virus by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0
Today at 10:13:57 AM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 08:26:54 AM

Brookies galore by Yallerhammer
Today at 07:07:07 AM

Video of the day... by Dougfish
September 17, 2020, 18:41:08 PM

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by troutrus
September 17, 2020, 17:16:07 PM

instagram favorites.... by Woolly Bugger