• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
October 20, 2020, 09:22:41 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2337
Latest: Tbird479
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150257
Total Topics: 14499
Most Online Today: 509
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 21
Guests: 431
Total: 452

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 21, 2020, 08:26:30 AMFishing report: Know your bugs

>>>How important is it for us to know about what insects are in the Bitterroot and when they hatch? I have always promoted the pocket guide for insects written and published by Orvis. A new book has been published, written by Paul Weamer, titled "The Bug Book: A Fly Fisher's Guide to Trout Stream Insects." This book promises us a complete guide to aquatic entomology for fly fishermen, covering all the important insects and their imitations for the entire United States. I don't know about you but I don't plan to fish all of the United States in the remaining years of my life. I plan to fish a few rivers in Montana and maybe Wyoming, but do I care about the hatches in New York or Maine? Are the insects the same there as they are here? The answer to these questions and others that you may have are in the book or books that have been published in the past. Insects won't evolve in my lifetime or in several lifetimes to come, but knowing about your own home river might be a challenge to the novice fly fisherman.

https://ravallirepublic.com/news/local/article_67bc13b6-8bfb-5de7-b9a8-6e372eb3cad4.html

Never heard of Paul Weamer, but it appears he is one hell of a photographer, and this text seems worth it.

From my brief perusal of his work, it seems he has a certain concentration on the upper Delaware River watershed.  Fishing trips to the west and east branch of the D were some of my favorite angling memories.

There was an eddy downstream of Deposit that I visited several times.  I'd perch on the left descending bank and watch for hours and hours this eddy for emerging insects.  I collected a ton of different mayflies, and it was the only place I have ever fished where a brown would be feeding on one species of mayfly, and another brown a few meters away would be feeding on another species.  It was damn fun!  I still have many of the mayfly and caddis specimens in storage.  Most of the "yellow" mayflies I gave to a researcher in Indiana who was revising the group.

More power to those that want to expand their understanding of the critters.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Kill fish to save fish: Behind Colorado's effort to revive the Rio Grande cutthroat trout

The multi-agency project to restore the native species has been years in the making. But the optics still can be shocking.

>>>On a beautiful early September day, Ken Gierhart hiked a trail familiar since boyhood to Music Pass in the Sangre de Cristo mountains above Westcliffe. As he dropped off the saddle toward the Sand Creek lakes, he noticed people heading the opposite direction with fishing poles.

"How's the fishing?" he asked one woman.

"They're all dead," she replied, saying nothing more as she passed.

Puzzled, Gierhart came upon another woman heading away from the lakes and tried his question again.

"There is no fishing," she said. "They're all dead."

This time, the angler paused to explain that Colorado Parks and Wildlife, according to signs posted in the area, had used a chemical called rotenone to kill all the fish in the lakes and Sand Creek, which meanders south down the mountain before veering west to eventually disappear, after 13 miles, into the depths of the Great Sand Dunes.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/09/24/kill-fish-to-save-fish-behind-colorados-effort-to-save-the-rio-grande-cutthroat-trout/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Alaska's Tongass National Forest combats climate change, supports Indigenous communities, provides clean water

>>>A plan released by the U.S. Forest Service will set the stage for the federal government to open millions of acres of old-growth temperate rainforest to logging and development. 

The Final Environmental Impact Statement, issued Sept. 24, is one of the last big pieces needed before the administration can remove protections from more than half of the 16.7 million-acre Tongass National Forest in Alaska.

Proposed changes would exempt the Tongass from a law called the "Roadless Rule," which is designed to protect the very wildest parts of America's forests from reckless development. For the most part, people don't want this to happen: a majority of some 140,000 public comments solicited by the Forest Service about the plan favored keeping the Roadless Rule intact. And the president of the Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska has said this rule-making process "repeatedly disrespected and ignored sovereign tribal nations and their tribal citizens." 

https://www.wilderness.org/articles/blog/3-reasons-ramped-logging-our-biggest-national-forest-could-be-disaster#

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Nate Burr of Rexburg hoists at 31-inch Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout from the Snake River, clinching the newest Idaho catch/release state record fish.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/outdoors/yellowstone-cutthroat-trout-catch-and-release-new-idaho-record-nate-burr/277-3a0eb8a6-71ce-47ef-b210-49e68e590520

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Experienced Perthshire anglers left stunned after 20lb salmon leaps right into their boat
Arnot McWhinnie and Peter Keay, friends for decades with a combined 120 years salmon fishing between them, were left open mouthed with amazement

>>>Two experienced anglers were left stunned when a 20lb Atlantic salmon leapt right into their boat.

>>>" I heard Peter's warning shout and my first reaction was to look at the rods thinking a fish was on. Then something slammed me in the back as Peter roared a salmon had jumped into the boat.

"It was absolutely amazing. The salmon smacked me a couple of times before Peter managed to grab it and held it for a very hurried photograph before returning it to the river.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/experienced-perthshire-anglers-left-stunned-22821118

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Colorado cutthroat restored to 23 miles of Hermosa Creek
Decades-long project creates longest continuous stretch for native fish

>>>A decades-long effort to restore the Colorado River cutthroat trout to the upper reaches of Hermosa Creek has been completed, resulting in the largest continuous stretch of waterway for the native fish species in the state.

"This is a 35-plus-year vision come true," said Jim White, an aquatic biologist with Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

After Western settlement in the late 1880s, the Colorado River cutthroat trout were fished to the point of extinction. Then to make matters worse, settlers dumped other, more competitive species of trout into the cutthroat's habitat.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/349899-colorado-cutthroat-restored-to-23-miles-of-hermosa-creek

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Hatchery salmon that survived Archie Creek Fire will be raised at elementary school

>>>ROSEBURG, Ore – The 700 coho salmon juveniles from the Rock Creek Hatchery that survived the Archie Creek Fire will be raised at Eastwood Elementary School and released next spring in Cow Creek, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlifre said Thursday.

"This is a great outcome for the coho juveniles, and we're grateful for the partnership with Eastwood Elementary where we've had the ODFW 'Fish Eggs to Fry' program and a steelhead smolt program for years," said Evan Leonetti with ODFW. "It's a change for the kids to raise coho instead of steelhead, and it's a great opportunity for them to learn more about our native salmon."

The coho were the only juvenile fish to survive the fire. Another 700 adult spring chinook and summer steelhead survived and were transferred to Cole Rivers Hatchery and are being spawned to meet Rock Creek's production goals.

The fish will be headed to Eastwood elementary next week.

https://kcby.com/news/local/hatchery-salmon-that-survived-archie-creek-fire-will-be-raised-at-elementary-school

me -There's a season?

#CommissionsEarned

+-Recent Topics

bear season, oh my! by Grannyknot
Today at 08:26:34 AM

Search continues for Asheville man in Shining Rock Wilderness by hcrum87hc
Today at 08:08:19 AM

Sunday Hunting? by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0
Today at 08:00:12 AM

Unlimited bear news by Onslow
October 19, 2020, 16:56:19 PM

Movie Thread. by Woolly Bugger
October 19, 2020, 09:00:15 AM