Sex on the Windshield :)

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 18, 2006, 11:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

:o

As Lauri and I got back into the truck for the long ride home we noticed that the little yellow stone flies were copulating right there in front of us on the wind shield. This was better than a drive in movie and I decided right then that the title of this trip report would be "Sex on the Windshield"

The BRFFF James river float started early Saturday morning with a three hour drive to Buchanan Virginia. I pick up Damselfly in Martinsville and we continued up 220 North to Roanoke and on to I-81 and Buchanan. We ran into FT with his trailer carrying his toon and a borrowed toon for Laurie, thanks Brent, at a pit stop and then we continued on to the Springwood take-out on the James. Lepomis Macro was waiting in the parking lot and we all began assembling toons to stack on FT's trailer. We then headed up river to the Horseshoe put-in. By the way let me tell you that Virginia has done an excellent job with the river access points with easy access and plenty of parking. There were a lot of canoes and johnboats being launched along with our four toons. FT said were were on the water by 10:30.

Bruce Ingram's The James River Guide indicated that the post spawn fish would "be on vacation" and hanging out in deep pools and cover, not being as aggressive as in the pre-spawn months. With that in mind I had tied up some of Harry Murry's hellgrimates and clouser minnows. I started out in the first deep riffle with the hellgrimite on a sink tip but not fish came and I floated on down. Just below this riffle I caught my first hard fishing smallmouth. Spread out across the river all of us got into some bass. The day was hot and the sky was cloudless with the occasional hint of a breeze. The fishing was slow but consistent for most of the day and I caught more smallmouth, a few fall fish, redbreast, a couple of red-eye perch and bream. The hellgrmite was the most consistent producer, but I did manage a few on the surface with gurglers, poppers, and sneaky Pete's.

Later in the afternoon things slowed down and I went back subsurface with the clouser. I caught four out of a long deep run before moving on. Below the next rapid I caught two more on a cone head hellgrimate. Then we got into a long slack water stretch and things really slowed down. We were casting up against the bank but nobody was home. Finally I got into some red eye's and finished the day with a bluegill. We hauled the toons out at 8:00 PM and after the shuttle we drove to Buchanan for dinner at Marcelo's Pizzeria. It was after dinner and good buy handshakes and hugs that Laurie and I noticed the stoneflies mating on the windshield.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Bloy

Down in Floida there is some kind of little black flying bugs that are always 'hooked up'    :o  while flying. They're called "Love Bugs". When they hit your windshield it sure makes a mess.  >:(
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

badankles

i registered again just so i wouldn't miss this post.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

lepomis_mcro

was an awsome float, man im ready for the next one.

few pics from the trip

panfish with great colors
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fallfish around 8 inches

fat gill

was a little busy on the stream during the morning

there was a great view along the river..pic hardly does it justice

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

larrybug

thanks for the pict and the great report. it is so pretty

FT

I had a great time.  Here are a few of my pictures.

Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

badankles

man, that looks like fun!!!!!!!
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: badankles on June 19, 2006, 13:24:54 PM
man, that looks like fun!!!!!!!

It's more fun than a bass in your pants!   
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ditchmonkey

looks like a miss prissy there ft...   
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.

Brent G

Glad y'all had a good urn c ya on the next one

Brent G

Stone-Man

Sweet trip
I enjoyed the flicks ;D ;D

I figgered that Damsel would jerk em pretty good after all the "expert" advice that I gave her last wekend :P

JT

FT

Quote from: Stone-Man on June 19, 2006, 20:14:16 PM
Sweet trip
I enjoyed the flicks ;D ;D

I figgered that Damsel would jerk em pretty good after all the "expert" advice that I gave her last wekend :P

JT
It  might have been your advice, but she threw her all  flies away and used one of mine to catch 'em on. 
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

Trout Chaser

Great reports and pictures folks. 0--0  I'll try and make the next one.

TC

jamie

"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

rivetlber

Great looking pictures. But where were all the smiling faces ???