• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2331
Latest: CBarclay
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 149286
Total Topics: 14431
Most Online Today: 542
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 33
Guests: 460
Total: 493

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto, The Dude and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

>>> Klak's lab has partnered with State University of New York, the American Chestnut Foundation, and others to speed breed blight-tolerant American Chestnut seedlings in his lab and greenhouse, helping them produce pollen much faster than it would take if they grew naturally. For the first time this summer, this blight-tolerant pollen will fertilize some wild American chestnuts in Maine.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20200715/partnering-to-restore-keystone-species

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

To save the hemlock, scientists turn to genetics and natural predators

>>> The eastern hemlock is not one of those ubiquitous, celebrity trees such as the white oak or the white pine. Throughout much of its range — from northern Alabama up to New Brunswick, Canada, and Minnesota — the hemlock has lurked mainly in dark mountain valleys, where the cool, moist climate favored it over competitors. In northern states and Canada, it mixed with sugar maple, beech and other cold-hardy forest dwellers. Still, the tree has inspired naturalists and writers from Henry David Thoreau to Robert Frost, who took solace from snow falling from a hemlock.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/to-save-the-hemlock-scientists-turn-to-genetics-and-natural-predators/2020/07/31/dc520050-b7b4-11ea-a510-55bf26485c93_story.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Infighting Over Genetic Engineering Splinters Efforts to Save the American Chestnut

>>>SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. — What would you do to save something you love? How far would you go?

The passion that pushes the legions of volunteers in their mission to save the American chestnut borders on fanatical obsession. Since 1983, members of The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF) have dutifully cared for, bred, and attempted to restore a tree that was once the pride of U.S. woodlands before blight decimated the species.

In the nearly four decades since the Asheville, N.C.-based organization was founded, another quest for the tree's redemption has been running concurrently to TACF's backcross breeding program. It has the same aim, but employs different means.

It has various names: transgenic tree, OxO tree, genetically engineered tree. But the premise is the same: Play God, and then pray to God it works.

read://https_www.ecori.org/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecori.org%2Fnatural-resources%2F2020%2F7%2F28%2Fchestnut-wars-splinter-recovery-efforts

me -There's a season?

+-Recent Topics

Back again by Woolly Bugger
Today at 12:22:41 PM

Inyo National Forest by Dougfish
Today at 12:14:33 PM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 11:07:19 AM

Native Tree/Plant Plight by Woolly Bugger
Today at 10:55:54 AM

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 10:32:58 AM

Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal by Woolly Bugger