• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
November 28, 2020, 09:44:13 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2341
Latest: Rock_N_TN
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150689
Total Topics: 14534
Most Online Today: 507
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 472
Total: 484

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutrus

Maybe the show will be better than the book.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on November 17, 2020, 10:32:52 AMMaybe the show will be better than the book.

This is usually not the case. Any novel/non-fiction story, for the most part, is much better in the original book version. Film adaptations, in my opinion, are generally rather horrid. Non-fiction stories tend to be better than their fictitious counterparts.

troutrus

I remember my mom banned this from my reading list when it was popular among the young. She's been gone for quite awhile, so I figured I'd give it a try. Should have listened to my mom. ❤️
 Proof positive that privileged spoiled brats roamed the earth long before the millennials that are so often credited.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on November 18, 2020, 11:11:08 AMI remember my mom banned this from my reading list when it was popular among the young. She's been gone for quite awhile, so I figured I'd give it a try. Should have listened to my mom. ❤️
 Proof positive that privileged spoiled brats roamed the earth long before the millennials that are so often credited.

Read this about 2 years ago. I can't seem to grasp the reasoning behind this book's popularity. Did not enjoy this. However, I do agree with the spoiled brat comment.

Mr. Don

I'm always changing my list of top 5 must read fiction recommendations. Currently in no particular order:

East of Eden
The Road
Sometimes a Great Notion
Lonesome Dove
American Tabloid

Read each at least 3 times and they still affect me. Never doing The Road again as it screws with my sleep and happiness.

Honorable mentions:

The Killer Angels
Cain at Gettysburg
The Stand
Anything by Raymond Chandler
No Country for Old Men
Louis L'amour westerns

The faster we go the rounder we get.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mr. Don on November 20, 2020, 19:19:48 PMI'm always changing my list of top 5 must read fiction recommendations. Currently in no particular order:

East of Eden
The Road
Sometimes a Great Notion
Lonesome Dove
American Tabloid

Read each at least 3 times and they still affect me. Never doing The Road again as it screws with my sleep and happiness.

Honorable mentions:

The Killer Angels
Cain at Gettysburg
The Stand
Anything by Raymond Chandler
No Country for Old Men
Louis L'amour westerns

Have only read The Stand out of these lists. Will be sure to look into the rest for future reading.

Dee-Vo

November 22, 2020, 11:37:43 AM #306 Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:02:27 PM by Woolly Bugger
Another great book from Harlan Coben. This is the second of his that I've read. Relevant topics twisted into an always suspenseful plot make for a great story.

#HarlanCoben #read #RunAway #booklover

Yallerhammer

Have any of y'all read any Ron Rash? If not, I highly recommend his books. Really good local writer. Start with "The World Made Straight."
Women want me, doughbellies fear me.<br /><br />Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on November 25, 2020, 07:43:33 AMHave any of y'all read any Ron Rash? If not, I highly recommend his books. Really good local writer. Start with "The World Made Straight."

Will look into this. Appreciate the recommendation.

+-Recent Topics

Movie Thread. by Woolly Bugger
Today at 08:46:05 AM

unlimited odds and ends by Woolly Bugger
Today at 01:00:15 AM

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles... by Woolly Bugger
November 27, 2020, 09:18:45 AM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Sedition and Pockets
November 26, 2020, 10:06:56 AM

Unlimited Everything Everglades.... by Woolly Bugger
November 26, 2020, 09:28:38 AM

Native Tree/Plant Plight by Woolly Bugger