• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2331
Latest: CBarclay
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 149788
Total Topics: 14465
Most Online Today: 472
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 30
Guests: 411
Total: 441

For the love of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Very nice Phil.  I have been thinking about incorporating a shot timer into my range sessions. I also need to have more range sessions but Corona has really messed that up.
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." Hemingway

Big J

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/06/910194857/black-gun-ownership-rises-amid-pandemic-protests-for-racial-justice

Maybe something even Mudwall can get behind.  Big chunk of first time gun buyers going on right now is black females.  Hope as more people get educated on gun ownership and gun buying process, they learn that the majority of gun control on the books are due to racist intentions. 
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." Hemingway

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on September 08, 2020, 08:18:47 AMhttps://www.npr.org/2020/09/06/910194857/black-gun-ownership-rises-amid-pandemic-protests-for-racial-justice

Maybe something even Mudwall can get behind.  Big chunk of first time gun buyers going on right now is black females.  Hope as more people get educated on gun ownership and gun buying process, they learn that the majority of gun control on the books are due to racist intentions. 

What are you trying to say?

Is the gun culture in America a white privilege?  Is packing a gun in public also a freedom of whites?  Were inexpensive firearms banned (gun control I guess) in the south after the Civil War, so poor whites and blacks could not purchase them and threaten the racial hierarchy of the powerful and wealthy?  Did we cry "we need gun control" when the Panthers and Dr. Newton attempted to arm themselves?

Then, on the flip side, we gun-wielding, white Americans try to defend our status by opposing gun control, funding for schools, healthcare for all, etc.

Damn it all; I am confused!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Is the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

I'm considering purchasing a variety of poleaxes from Ragnarok, both short, and long handled ones. Hopefully LARP won't be taken to the next level come late November.

Big J

Quote from: Onslow on September 08, 2020, 19:55:48 PMIs the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

I'm considering purchasing a variety of poleaxes from Ragnarok, both short, and long handled ones. Hopefully LARP won't be taken to the next level come late November.

Is ammo shortage legit? haha.  I haven't seen a box of 9mm in any brand or variety in 4 months at a store.  Online they want $1.25 per round of 9mm when you can find it.  Scary thing is, it is still selling at those ridiculous prices online.  This is easily worse than the 2012-2013 shortages and depending on what happens in November I expect this to continue for a while. 

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 08, 2020, 19:03:08 PMWhat are you trying to say?

Is the gun culture in America a white privilege?  Is packing a gun in public also a freedom of whites?  Were inexpensive firearms banned (gun control I guess) in the south after the Civil War, so poor whites and blacks could not purchase them and threaten the racial hierarchy of the powerful and wealthy?  Did we cry "we need gun control" when the Panthers and Dr. Newton attempted to arm themselves?

Then, on the flip side, we gun-wielding, white Americans try to defend our status by opposing gun control, funding for schools, healthcare for all, etc.

Damn it all; I am confused!!!

Back in the day gun control targeted the African Americans.  If the gun culture today is fighting against gun control wouldn't that make them fighting racism?  Sure you have your NRA fudds who believe the second amendment is about hunting who do not trust a black man walking through Kroger with a gun on his hip. But the majority of the true gun current gun culture is for everyone who is legally able to, and wants to, to have a gun.  I wasn't alive when all the events took place, but I would hope I would of been against all of those scenarios.  The Philando Castile case I was angry about. Just because it is easier, better optics, and more socially acceptable by non gun people for a white person to have a gun, doesn't mean it is condoned by me.  I'm fighting against that.  It is the politicians, media, and ignorance that fuels that, not me, not the majority in the gun culture.  I had a conversation with a non gun person who was feeling uneasy about a black man open carrying in a store.  I said "I have a gun concealed on me right now, if someone saw it at this store on me, would they have any reason to feel uneasy?".  They said "no".  I replied with "they have every right to open carry that gun as I do and I actually commend anyone who open carries". 

Right now you see gun control not targeting African Americans directly, but indirectly.  The political elites are putting taxes, permits, and fees on the right to own guns which pushes people in poverty or lower income out of the ability to own a firearm.  They put annual training requirements which cost money, permits which cost money, taxes on firearms which cost money, and taxes on ammo.  Someone that could maybe purchase a $200 firearm for their family now is looking at double that or more in some states.  All while the elite who are enacting that are unchanged because they are walking around with private security or even publicly funded security.  Oh the hypocrisy.  Guns for me, but not for the peasants.

troutrus

I recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.
So, who now is being blamed for shortages?

Big J

Quote from: troutrus on September 09, 2020, 08:31:52 AMI recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.

More gun control has been passed under Trump in 4 years than 8 years under Obama.  You are barking up the wrong tree.  The bumpstock ban using an executive order with ATF is the most atrocious piece of gun control in the history of gun control.  The President literally changed a definition that was voted on by congress in 1968 with a stroke of a pen.  The precedence this sets is horrifying. 

hcrum87hc

Quote from: troutrus on September 09, 2020, 08:31:52 AMI recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.

Current shortages are due to a run on all things gun related.  This occurs every election year, but it's been made much worse this year due to riots and COVID.
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

September 10, 2020, 12:21:36 PM #789 Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:24:12 PM by Woolly Bugger
Quote from: Onslow on September 08, 2020, 19:55:48 PMIs the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

My sources say that it is flying off the shelves... 9mm especially is "ripped" from the hands of the associates restocking the shelves when a shipment comes in...

and while their store has no limits on purchases, they ask the customers to be considerate of others, as they continue to empty the shelves and purchase as much as they can... ammo sales are 300% above last year...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

+-Recent Topics

Corona Virus by Onslow
Today at 18:30:47 PM

Brookies galore by Yellow_Rose_Fly
Today at 14:41:38 PM

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 09:47:01 AM

Video of the day... by Dougfish
September 17, 2020, 18:41:08 PM

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by troutrus
September 17, 2020, 17:16:07 PM

instagram favorites.... by Woolly Bugger