• Welcome to Blue Ridge Fly Fishermans Forum. Please login or sign up.
October 26, 2020, 16:18:11 PM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2337
Latest: Tbird479
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 150339
Total Topics: 14503
Most Online Today: 534
Most Online Ever: 8245
(January 14, 2020, 00:59:16 AM)
Users Online
Members: 32
Guests: 419
Total: 451

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on September 17, 2020, 13:51:13 PMNot a war memorial but here is what we are reaping with all this lawlessness and rewriting our culture

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/09/16/caught-on-video-man-topples-statue-of-virgin-mary-outside-brooklyn-church-in-broad-daylight/

Needless destruction serves no one, but I question if anyone is attempting to rewrite anyone's culture. 

The perpetrator looks like a Steelers fan to me, at first glance.  Perhaps he did not believe in the immaculate conception, only the immaculate reception.  He kind of resembles Franco Harris anyway.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

$1.8 million contract for confederate statue removals being eyed in Richmond

>>>RICHMOND - Augusta County Commonwealth's Attorney Tim Martin has been named as a special prosecutor who will lead an investigation into Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney's handling of a $1.8 million contract reportedly given to one of his donors to remove the city's confederate statues.

https://www.newsleader.com/story/news/local/2020/09/19/augusta-county-prosecutor-looking-into-richmond-mayors-conduct/5838375002/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Re-watching 'The Civil War' during the Breonna Taylor and George Floyd protests
At 30, the landmark Ken Burns documentary hasn't aged well

>>>A cannon sits in silhouette on the horizon line, the pinks and purples of a sunrise — or is it a sunset? — painted across the sky. A fiddle plays. A man's gravelly voice recites a letter from 1861.

"Sarah, my love for you is deathless. It seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but omnipotence can break, and yet my love of country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly with all those chains to the battlefield."

Sullivan Ballou, the narrator tells us, was a major in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers. He was killed a week later in the first battle of Bull Run, dying in a Civil War clash in Virginia hundreds of miles from his home.

This scene has been played, parodied, rewound and played again countless times in the 30 years since it first aired on PBS. But it is no less affecting now than it was in 1990 when the Ken Burns series, "The Civil War," became a cultural phenomenon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/26/ken-burns-civil-war-breonna-taylor-george-floyd-shelby-foote/

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Fort Mill's confederate monuments point to conflict, heritage. The debate goes on

Read more here: https://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article245974750.html#storylink=cpy

>>> Names and the monument at the heart of downtown Fort Mill are set in stone. But opinions on the "faithful slaves" monument in Confederate Park aren't.

Even among people who trace their history to it thoughts have changed with time, and new generations are more likely to ask why it's there, who it's for and how it helps. More and more they're asking, what's next?

Daniel Watts is 83 and a lifelong Fort Mill resident. He's the first Black member to serve on the Fort Mill School Board (1972-80) and town council (1990-94). His grandmother's father is Handy White, one of 10 names inscribed on the monument. It was recently announced that a Fort Mill road will be named to honor White's memory.

Read more here: https://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article245974750.html#storylink=cpy

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Civil War monuments in Martinsville, Henry County stand quiet among the outrage
More than 155 years after Civil War, memorials for a local soldier and other links to history remain in Martinsville and Henry County even as they are left in rubble elsewhere.

>>>Across Virginia, the South and the nation, monuments to the Confederacy and the Civil War that have stood as totems to a troubling past have come down in recent months, at times amid violence and mass protest.

As millions took to the streets across the country this summer to protest the tragic killings of George Floyd Jr., Breonna Taylor and others, and the social issues those killings lay bare, monuments to the nation's war over slavery became obvious if not always easy targets.

There were other symbols razed, as well. Mississippi changed its state flag. Dozens of buildings, schools, and regional landmarks across the country were given new names that didn't honor slave owners and defenders. The Confederate battle flag was banned by NASCAR, whose crowds often were dotted with them. Politicians and business leaders often tried to move quickly to control the destruction while recognizing the issue.

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/local/civil-war-monuments-in-martinsville-henry-county-stand-quiet-among-the-outrage/article_f4ee8abf-332d-58f5-8ba7-da70b77520f5.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

a perspective...

Commentary: Let's consider repurposing the Confederate monument

>>>These men do need to be remembered. The hard part is to remember also that they fought and died serving a government whose constitution enshrined the institution of slavery in no less than four of its clauses. The Confederate States of America believed it acceptable to enslave our fellow human beings for economic gain and personal profit.

Did any of these 600 read the Confederate constitution before enlisting? Likely not. They answered the call of their community, county, and state leaders, and had they been born in Pennsylvania or Ohio, they would have enlisted in the Union army instead, for the same reason.

When Ulysses S. Grant met with Robert E. Lee at Appomattox, Grant says In his autobiography that he could not rejoice "...at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought...I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us."

read://https_www.nvdaily.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvdaily.com%2Fnvdaily%2Fcommentary-lets-consider-repurposing-the-confederate-monument%2Farticle_9b6f534b-a6df-53f6-a9c0-94ec166a47ba.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

In Gettysburg, Trump supporters clash with Black Lives Matter protesters as election nears

>>>ut the debate is also about this town's symbolic stature in American consciousness — what Gettysburg should mean and to whom. The battle that made it famous, some residents note, is seldom celebrated for what it was: a victory that advanced the cause of ending slavery and led to Abraham Lincoln's vow that the nation "shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Instead, visitors often immerse themselves in the minutiae of the opposing sides' military tactics. The reverence exhibited for soldiers' valor can at times blur uncomfortably into "Lost Cause" nostalgia for states that fought to defend white supremacy. Confederate statues have been toppled across the country, but Gettysburg's 40 monuments to the slaveholding states and their soldiers remain untouched.

"Very few Black people, in my experience, come to Gettysburg. It's not a very welcoming place, and the emphasis is on strategy rather than emancipation," said Karl Mattson, who retired as Gettysburg College's chaplain 19 years ago and still lives in town. "The hope is that a different narrative will develop."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/10/26/gettysburg-trump-black-lives-matter-clashes/

me -There's a season?

+-Recent Topics

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by Woolly Bugger
Today at 14:35:47 PM

New River 2020 by troutrus
Today at 08:48:35 AM

Corona Virus by troutrus
Today at 04:47:59 AM

2021 BRFFF Roundup by Onslow
October 25, 2020, 19:56:25 PM

Smith-Continued by Woolly Bugger
October 25, 2020, 09:06:40 AM

Murder Hornet Trapped! by Woolly Bugger