News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Movie Thread.

Started by RiverbumCO, December 22, 2014, 19:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Full on pandemic binge mode led me to Netflix's Manhunt Deadly Games

Its 10 episodes cover's the whole Atlanta bombing, Richard Jewel, Eric Rudolph saga.

I thought it was very well done until they got into the militia in the Nantahala -- they had enough to make it interesting without all this fictional involvement protecting and then joining in on the manhunt for Eric.

So after watching that I followed up with Clint Eastwood's movie, Richard Jewel

now I'm a Hollywood expert on the subject. At the end of the NF series it mentioned the Eric wrote a 243 page account of how he evaded the FBI for five and a half years. A quick search revealed that it's online as a pdf.

https://www.armyofgod.com/EricRudolphPDFLinesOfDrift10_23_13Final.pdf

It's an interesting read and covers the ground that he traveled, camped and hid out in, as well as his early life growing up. It is filled with his political and moral views but those chapters can be skimmed over or ignored.

I converted the PDF to mobi to read on the kindle... pm if you want that format

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

This promises to be pretty amazing (if you're a Beatle Fan}
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 21, 2020, 10:38:06 AM

Sorry, if the Beatles or Elvis were all that were available then I'd choose to listen to my stomach growl in unison with my ramp farts!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Just finished Eric Rudolph's fictional account of his crimes and life "on the run"

It's interesting for a while but after the first 6 months his tale begins to become unbelievable.

I skipped over most of his political and moral writings as they aim to justify his crime.

p;-
me -There's a season?

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 21, 2020, 10:38:06 AM

I will see that one. Looking forward to it.  V:;

Dougfish

We just finished a good movie/series run.
I can recommend:
The 2018 A Star Is Born. Bradley Cooper directs and stars. Does his own singing, too.Lady Gaga is awesome.

The Queens Gambit on Netflix. Season one, 7 episodes.
The story, the acting, the music, Anya Taylor-Joy's eyes. Really, really good.

The Outpost on Netflix. Based on Jake Tapper's book. Holy shit. You will flinch more than a few times. And drink.
The Bulwark podcast has a great episode with Jake talking about his interest in the story, the book , the filming, and his relationship with the soldiers and their families. Really, really good listen.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Many thanks Doug.

Here is one that I discovered on Netflix.  Black '47.  Wonderful movie!  I've watched it twice and will watch again to pick up on the minutia.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutboy_II

OK - this one is a little out there and not in the same ball park as most (all?) of the previously mentioned excellent movies, but try "Soul" on Disney+ if you get it.  This isn't a kid's movie IMHO, but a thought provoking and musically cool way to spend some time.  Like Bagger Vance was really about the Bhagavad Gita, and Ground Hog day was about Karma Yoga, ths one examines the Bardo for all you Tibetan Book of the Dead fans.  Not a fan?  That's OK, I think you will find this unique movie interesting at the very least and worth the time.

Or not.  You hold the controller after all.  My $.02.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti...   ;D

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

I've been on a Hitchcock kick and am knocking off his top 30 as rated on the IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000055371/

Rear Window -  V:;

North by Northwest -  V:;

Shadow of a Doubt - V:;

Notorious - V:;

Strangers on a Train - V:;

Rebecca -  V:;

Foreign Correspondent - V:;

Dial M for Murder - V:;

Vertigo - V:;

The 39 Steps - V:;

Frenzy -  V:;

To Catch a Thief - V:;

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog - V:;

Saboteur - V:;

Marnie - V:;

Lifeboat - V:;

Number 17

The Man Who Knew Too Much 1934

Murder!

Young and Innocent

The Man Who Knew To Much 1956 - V:;

Rope - V:;

The Trouble with Harry - V:;

Blackmail

The Wrong Man

Sabotage - V:;

Topaz

The Birds - V:;

I've seen a lot of the more famous ones several times in the past

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I just blitzed back through Queens Gambit.
Better the second time. Got damn.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

I assumed Netflix would run out of good ideas eventually, but not this soon.

Woolly Bugger

Didn't know where to put this...

Damn Dams, It's the water Stupid, Odds and Ends, or Movies...

New film chronicles environmental 'outlaw' Ken Sleight's fight to restore Glen Canyon
"The Unfinished Fight of Seldom Seen Sleight" will be screened for free online Tuesday.

>>>When river runner, wilderness guide and legendary environmental provocateur Ken Sleight tells his life story, he likes to start at the beginning.
"I'm a farm boy from Paris," he often says. "Paris, Idaho."

Sleight grew up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but when he uses words like "temples," "paradise" or "heaven" now, at the age of 91, it refers to an earthly fold of the Colorado Plateau, a place he first visited in 1955, named Glen Canyon.

As one of the few commercial outfitters to guide rafts through Glen Canyon prior to its submersion under Lake Powell in the 1960s, Sleight remains haunted by the lost beauty of a place that few non-native Americans experienced as a flowing river.

"I don't understand human thinking — to destroy temples, cathedrals," Sleight says in the opening sequence of a new film by Sageland Media, "The Unfinished Fight of Seldom Seen Sleight."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/10/new-film-chronicles/

"The Unfinished Fight of Seldom Seen Sleight'' will be screened for free at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 12, by the Utah Film Center. Doug Fabrizio of KUER's Radio West will moderate a question-and-answer session after the screening featuring filmmakers and others. The film will only be available for viewers who tune in during the livestream event. Visit https://www.utahfilmcenter.org/event/the-unfinished-fight-of-seldom-seen-sleight/ for more information and to pre-order the livestream.

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Phil

Hotel Rwanda -- heavy flick.  :o

Woolly Bugger

Very cool bit of history in The Dig on Netflix

me -There's a season?