News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, trout-r-us, Dougfish, itieuglyflies and 177 Guests are viewing this topic.

consumnfire1229

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 08, 2013, 17:42:47 PM
cool Smith reportage, but now that the evening hatches have started, Dominion power is generation right on top of the hatch b';

I called today trying to plan an evening on the river after work, but they are generating 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. all week...smh
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

consumnfire1229

You can always tell when the fishing is getting good in other places when the "Smith-Continued" thread almost makes it down to page 2. 

Today, TU teamed up with Gateway for a spring clean up.  We all met up around 8 a.m. and shot the breeze over a lite breakfast and then started the trash removal around 9 and finished up around 12. 

A Smith River fogy and I had planned ahead of time to fish after the clean up, but torrential rainfall on Friday had Towne Creek blow to smitherines.  It baffles the fool out of me how much mud that creek will dump into the Smith.  We decided to try our luck up near the dam.  When I was suiting up, I noticed I was getting a headache.  I decided to press on anyway!

Beautiful stretches of water, but the wind and the sun were brutal...

[attach=1]

The fish were very active this afternoon and we started connecting early.

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

Flub...

[attach=5]

After a couple of hours, the sun started to dip behind the mountain, but the wind was still howling.  At this point my head was killing me and I had to call it quits.  It was a good thing because about that time, 2 guys came dragging their canoe through the shallow riffles and tossing spinners through the pools we were fishing.

One for Doug!

[attach=6]

Longest and most difficult drive home ever.  I almost lost my cookies a few times.  As soon as I got home I took a hot shower and took some pills accompanied with a three hour nap.  I'm still not top notch, but I feel like a million bucks compared to earlier.

We accomplished what we set out for.  Preservation!  Get out and enjoy the river!!

Until next time...

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

I came up there for a bit, fished the muddy part, tossed big streamers, didn't see a fish...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Glad you got some fishing in Scott. Fogey? Shut your mouth!
Silene virginica, BTW. Fire Pink.

tomato can

Woolly Bugger

greeting committee

lunch break

tasty

yup, it was muddy alright...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

planned to fish the SoHo Saturday, even left the party early and set the alarm for 5:00

Friday Night Party...

woke up at eight, wtf? oh, weekday alarm, silly rabbit

baked a pie in the morning, headed to the river in the afternoon, expected some rain and high stained water took the full sink line.
when I got there it was cloudy, clear water, sulfurs hatching and fish rising, banged the banks, moved a few good fish, drank a few beers...
shoulda gone today!

Next time I'll make sure I've got a floating line with me...

me -There's a season?

5xTippett

Glad to see some bugs out!  I was at a graduation.  I will get up there soon.  I don't own any sinking line, so I won;t have that decision to make.

gamatt53

I haven't been up there in way too long. Water looking good

5xTippett

Keith, If I didn't know better, I would swear a professional photographer followed you around. 'c;

gonephishin'

Anyone think this 24/7 generation will wash some of that rock snot out of the upper Smith? Love fishing up there but that shit is ridiculous!
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gonephishin' on May 30, 2013, 11:19:55 AM
Anyone think this 24/7 generation will wash some of that rock snot out of the upper Smith? Love fishing up there but that shit is ridiculous!

I think the flows will wash some away but be prepared for a bloom once it stops...
me -There's a season?

5xTippett

It's always thick above Town's Creek during the summer!  I think Keith hit the nail on the head.  However, the generation has to stop before we find out! >:D

gamatt53

Hmm looks like I finally may get to float the Smith on my bote if they run water on the weekends...

Woolly Bugger

the ran it last weekend...

don't know how long it will last...

me -There's a season?