News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

NCsporksman

Woolly has all my pics hopefully he can compel Satan out of my SD card

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: NCsporksman on March 07, 2016, 09:53:58 AM

all yer chit is uploaded to google driver, i sent a link to yer email... <-;:

i'm convinced that operator error was involved in your problems....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JWJ

The Smith, finally able to get a little love. Nice work.

NCsporksman

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 07, 2016, 11:27:36 AM
Quote from: NCsporksman on March 07, 2016, 09:53:58 AM

all yer chit is uploaded to google driver, i sent a link to yer email... <-;:

i'm convinced that operator error was involved in your problems....
Keep talking that shit old man.....u jelly

Woolly Bugger

2016-27

With news of a fire at the Philpott dam and a weekday minimum flow, I took off and hit the old special regs section hoping for a sulfur hatch and some dry fly action. Another angler, a local TU member who knows Al, but who's name I've forgotten, had the same idea to take advantage of the break in generation.  We found black caddis working in the riffles, but the fish weren't rising.  The old timer, was doing well with a soft hackle pheasant tail by using a twitch retrieve, "They can't stand it," he in formed my when I asked about his fly and method. I sat down and drank a beer and watched for risers. When they hit the surface I was ready and in quick order brought three to hand. Then the water began to rise and I headed out.
Since I left the Oly TG at home I tried to use the iPhone and GoPro to capture the events of the day.

Rotating the GoPro, I captured an interesting perspective of catch and release, but tried to "fix it in post."

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Now that they restored power to the sluice gates and are dumping 500+ cfs, I'll need to get a boat to fish that bitch!

I sure hope the fish like the steady high flow!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

The COE dropped the sluice down to 100-150 cfs about 5 this afternoon. I could not stay away. Neither could Woowie. Since la grand sluicing will pick up again about 5 pm Friday, this could be the last evening sulfur hatch to be fished for the year.
And it was.........not epic. Very meh. But the little fish were turned on and full of spunk. So we caught them. A pune-a-rama for 2 1/2 hours until it was too dark to tie on a fly.

I was down a little early to do some work. After that I suited up and watched the water. Fish were rising at 500 cfs. Encouraging.

And I watched the water some more.

Finally, I decided it was starting to recede. Waded in, looked up river and the bossman was ready to step in, too.
Three quick fish. Then the switch was off. That's the way it was all the way through.

Realized I was still thirsty, so I waded in, grabbed my pack and little cooler bag and walked up stream to the master.
It's going to be another stellar corn crop.

We drank a few beers, bullshitted about the rest of you assholes, caught some fish and enjoyed the beautiful river.

And then we stumbled out and hit the road. He south, me north. 9:00 pm. 
0:0 to the Smiff.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

I respect the commitment you guys make with that flow. Righteous.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 20, 2016, 08:09:05 AM
I respect the commitment you guys make with that flow. Righteous.
I has its appeal, and the sulfur hatch is one of them!
me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

I've enjoyed it the few times I've fished it. Personally, I think if you can catch fish there, you can catch fish most places. The challenge is what I like about the river.

Woolly Bugger

Only One Day to Wade

TU national is meeting in Roanoke this weekend and some of the local guys managed to convince the COE to cut the flow for Friday so those gathering at the meeting could experience the Smith in favorable conditions. So they cut the flow for 24 hours, starting at 5:00 PM Thursday evening, giving us the only opportunity this year to fish the evening sulfur hatch, which can be specular.  I got to the river just past 6:30 and caught the falling water. There were a few bugs sailing and it took a while to spy a rising fish. A few cast later and I watched my target miss my fly. I switched up patterns to give him a different look and bam! A nice, for the upper Smith, brown trout with hugs spots and a butter belly. Of course I had forgotten my camera, but I did attempt to use the GoPro, but the fish got away before I could get a shot. Worked on my technique and managed to video a few of the dozen trout that I caught. The hatch never really came on strong, but the fish showed interest in the few that were floating on down the feeding lanes. Pretty location, some good beer and conversation with a fellow fisherman.

me -There's a season?

Al

I got out today. Had an order for some skillet Rainbows from my better half so fished the lower river down through Bassett. Didn't take long to fill that order.  That gave me time to mow the lawn at my cabin before going back down for some catch and release fun.

BTW -  talked with three local fishermen who are ticked at the weekend releases. Urged them to make the June 9th meeting which will be last chance to weigh in.

RiverbumCO

Git'n it

Keef what was the song in the vid.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: RiverbumCO on May 21, 2016, 10:47:48 AM
Git'n it

Keef what was the song in the vid.

Doc Watson, The Old Man Below off of the Home Again! album. I downloaded it off of Archive.org, but can't find that listing anymore....

Send PM if you want more info...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I did a little work on the Sulfur Hatch hook set video from the other day, a little zoom and slo mo and music...  :banana011:  :banana026:  /'/  -0- -0-

Sadly I may have misplaced / lost the GoPro Hero 4 Silver... I thought I put it in the car when I went off to fish with B.R.A. but, despite tearing apart the car, I've not found it....

:embarassed: :banana072: b';

first run at normal, second 1/2 speed on the hook set, fish jumps...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Ha, just found the bitch!!! -0- V:;
me -There's a season?