Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!

General: Fly Fishing BS => The bar is open.... => Topic started by: Onslow on October 22, 2020, 19:34:11 PM

Title: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 22, 2020, 19:34:11 PM
Seriously considering putting together an outing for the weekend after Easter of 2021.  Lets discuss.

Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Woolly Bugger on October 22, 2020, 19:39:09 PM
Mortimer is closed right now
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 22, 2020, 19:53:20 PM
A primitive option is needed in case things are ugly with Covid. I need to scout out a roadside NF site for a no facility option.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Dougfish on October 22, 2020, 20:22:07 PM
I'll come play if it's not ugly with Covid. If it's ugly, I ain't going far.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: rbphoto on October 23, 2020, 05:39:11 AM
I have no idea what springtime will look like, but I'm in.

I prefer primitive, off-the-beaten path locations.

Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 23, 2020, 06:56:33 AM
Quote from: rbphoto on October 23, 2020, 05:39:11 AMI have no idea what springtime will look like, but I'm in.

I prefer primitive, off-the-beaten path locations.


Did you want to backpack in, or just find a dark corner?
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: rbphoto on October 23, 2020, 07:09:59 AM
Quote from: Onslow on October 23, 2020, 06:56:33 AM
Quote from: rbphoto on October 23, 2020, 05:39:11 AMI have no idea what springtime will look like, but I'm in.

I prefer primitive, off-the-beaten path locations.


Did you want to backpack in, or just find a dark corner?

 :o  :o  :o

Not certain what you are insinuating . . .

Not afraid of backpacking.

Only afraid of the dark around this bunch of miscreants.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 23, 2020, 08:08:52 AM
I'll attend if it is after Virginia's spring turkey season.  Not interested in fishing in NC, but I would like to camp there.  The last time I camped in NC was back in 1975.

I'd like to visit around a bold campfire with some of you.  Very much like to talk with Yaller; even though we disagree on much, the mental picture I have of him is that of a tough outdoorsman that knows how to survive in the wild.  I want to converse with Ken – fascinated by his choice of words.  I'd like to meet troutrus to see if he/she is really as liberal as I am. I'd like to meet several, those that I may even have met before, but am confused by their forum handles.  I'd like to enjoy Boss's exotic camp supper – that concoction he served years ago at Grindstone.  I'd like to see A-a-ron, Ben, Grayson, Beetle, River, etc. again.  And The Dude would be a welcome surprise for me. 

I'll bring some firewood.  Evening fire must be massive enough to see the eyes of all the rummies, big enough to locate Big J's position for the customary scolding over his wife dressing him and packing his bags, so immense of a fire to see Doug's eyes closed and mouth drooling --- it would be a hoot!

Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Big J on October 23, 2020, 08:28:11 AM
Wife is due with our third the beginning of March.  Spring will be iffy at best for me. 
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 23, 2020, 08:35:11 AM
Quote from: Big J on October 23, 2020, 08:28:11 AMWife is due with our third the beginning of March.  Spring will be iffy at best for me. 

As I have told all my male friends, those with an itchy unit ---- you can use that thing to piss!!!

Congratulations!!!  3 is good.  I am obsessed w/ odd numbers.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 23, 2020, 08:43:48 AM
Hiner, there are some worthy areas to camp, but do require some hoofing. A night at Harper Creek Falls would be splendid. However, much of the flora int he area is blah until one reaches the 4000' mark. It may be challenging to reconcile all the expectations and objectives of a large crowd.



The main question is simply this, do we want to fish, or do we want to socialize?  In normal circumstances, I would prefer food & fellowship, but Covid could complicate things if campgrounds were to close again, and then there is the risk of transimission. I believe we could group dine provided meals are hot, and one pot.

If it were just Doug, Raymond, and myself, we'd probably would backpack in to Harper Falls, or the confluence of Stackhouse & Wilson, and go from there.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Woolly Bugger on October 23, 2020, 09:19:43 AM
i'm a maybe...  :Dance  :cheers  :drum

fuk this virus..

btw @Onslow peeps that are on mobile don't see the poll.. ...

Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 23, 2020, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: Onslow on October 23, 2020, 08:43:48 AMHiner, there are some worthy areas to camp, but do require some hoofing. A night at Harper Creek Falls would be splendid. However, much of the flora int he area is blah until one reaches the 4000' mark. It may be challenging to reconcile all the expectations and objectives of a large crowd.



The main question is simply this, do we want to fish, or do we want to socialize?  In normal circumstances, I would prefer food & fellowship, but Covid could complicate things if campgrounds were to close again, and then there is the risk of transimission. I believe we could group dine provided meals are hot, and one pot.

If it were just Doug, Raymond, and myself, we'd probably would backpack in to Harper Falls, or the confluence of Stackhouse & Wilson, and go from there.

Believe it or not I find some you interesting.  I'd prefer a mass, primitive campsite, meet those I have not met, and revisit with those that I know – a rendezvous type deal.

Hiking with a Baker and Whelen ain't in the cards for me.

But, I am only one of many that may enjoy such an outing, so it is your gig. 

Keep us posted. And I am sure everyone will monitor the virus.
Peace.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Dee-Vo on October 23, 2020, 14:41:08 PM
Nice little camping spot on the side of Wilson Creek via the White Rocks Trail. Enjoyed this area. The trail is listed as difficult, but it is no such thing.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: greg on October 23, 2020, 16:19:53 PM
I dint think I have ever met anyone here. Sounds like a good time to do so.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Phil on October 23, 2020, 16:56:58 PM
That whole area was my stompin ground years ago. I quit going down there much cause the fishing got pretty sparse. May be its gotten better, I dunno, but kind of doubt it.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: driver on October 23, 2020, 20:57:02 PM
I down, depending on the situation. I know some really good primitive camp site. A couple in the WC drainage. And a couple on the N. Toe drainage.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Woolly Bugger on October 23, 2020, 22:47:25 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on October 23, 2020, 14:41:08 PMNice little camping spot on the side of Wilson Creek via the White Rocks Trail. Enjoyed this area. The trail is listed as difficult, but it is no such thing.

You cannot see attachments on this board.


I'm not familiar with that trail name more information is needed you can PM if you don't wanna post it here
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 25, 2020, 11:37:15 AM
In light of the fact the Linville Falls campground does not open until mid May, perhaps the best option is  to plan for a Mortimer gathering with the understanding there is a possibility the Thorpes Creek bridge repairs many not be wrapped up by April. If the bridge is not complete, then the B plan will be executed

Plan B would be to cap attendance to about 8 people, meet Friday evening at a roadside primitive camping area to commune/dine after a possible day of fishing, then disperse to wherever Saturday morning.  My intention is to backpack in somewhere Saturday, and stay Saturday night in the backcountry.  This area lends itself to this type of activity. 

There are several great spots where backpacking pairs could slink off to, e.g., Harper Creek Falls, and either fish together, or parallel play on different beats in near proximity for two consecutive days. The fishing may be mediocre, but the scenery, and experience should be satisfying. There are a ton of spots for non backpackers to explore. Some are very remote, inaccessible dark corners, e.g., SF Harpers above Kanawa.

A large one pot meal would make sense for Friday.  We'll discuss deets later.
I'll probably do Saturday morning breakfast (Dutch Oven Mountain Man) for all. Non backpackers could do their own thing Saturday night at the roadside primitive.


Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 25, 2020, 19:56:25 PM
While the weekend in mind is opening weekend of NC turkey season, I may be open to adjust the date, but I suspect as the season wears on the crowded things will be.  Mother's day is the 9th, and then Memorial is obviously right around the corner. There are not many good options. I don't backpack between Memorial Day, and Labor Day in Carolina. It is too damn hot.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Sedition and Pockets on October 26, 2020, 19:05:27 PM
I'd be interested in catching up with folks if we can do it reasonably safely.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Onslow on October 26, 2020, 19:20:52 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 23, 2020, 08:08:52 AMI'll attend if it is after Virginia's spring turkey season.  Not interested in fishing in NC, but I would like to camp there.  The last time I camped in NC was back in 1975.

I'd like to visit around a bold campfire with some of you.  Very much like to talk with Yaller; even though we disagree on much, the mental picture I have of him is that of a tough outdoorsman that knows how to survive in the wild.  I want to converse with Ken – fascinated by his choice of words.  I'd like to meet troutrus to see if he/she is really as liberal as I am. I'd like to meet several, those that I may even have met before, but am confused by their forum handles.  I'd like to enjoy Boss's exotic camp supper – that concoction he served years ago at Grindstone.  I'd like to see A-a-ron, Ben, Grayson, Beetle, River, etc. again.  And The Dude would be a welcome surprise for me. 

I'll bring some firewood.  Evening fire must be massive enough to see the eyes of all the rummies, big enough to locate Big J's position for the customary scolding over his wife dressing him and packing his bags, so immense of a fire to see Doug's eyes closed and mouth drooling --- it would be a hoot!



Once this Covid nonsense is somewhat suppressed, perhaps we can stay here in 2022.  I really like this place.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233975

200 per night, but this is the ideal venue for a larger group. Damn good fishing in the area too!

This outing will be called the Rough Butt Rendezvous.  RB is a name of an area stream.
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Woolly Bugger on October 27, 2020, 09:05:49 AM
I've stayed at the Balsam Lodge many times — our TU chapter had an annual deal there, and I strawbossed PFF there
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Sedition and Pockets on October 28, 2020, 08:46:32 AM
Throwing this out, probably not for next year, but maybe 2022.  Would there be any interest in a Low Country, SC summer redfish bash on a flood tide weekend?
Title: Re: 2021 BRFFF Roundup
Post by: Dee-Vo on November 10, 2020, 14:14:04 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 23, 2020, 22:47:25 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on October 23, 2020, 14:41:08 PMNice little camping spot on the side of Wilson Creek via the White Rocks Trail. Enjoyed this area. The trail is listed as difficult, but it is no such thing.

You cannot see attachments on this board.



I'm not familiar with that trail name more information is needed you can PM if you don't wanna post it here

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you need more info.