Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will host our end of year meeting on December 1, 2016, 6:30 p.m., at Rania's Restaurant, 147 Main St, Martinsville VA . This is the meeting where George Palmer, DGIF Fisheries Biologist gives his annual "Health of the Smith River Fishery" presentation. Water flows have been messed up due to work at Philpott Dam but DGIF has been sampling using a newly acquired raft and finding some nice fish. No one knows for sure what the prolonged flows and increased sediment has done to the fishery but George is optimistic and will share his thoughts on what 2017 may look like.
Other business to wrap up 2016:
1) Secretary & Treasury Reports
2) Overview of events the Chapter has participated in during the past year
3) The latest projections as to when the repairs will be done at Philpott Dam (Perhaps Rocky Rockwell will be there to give us an update)
4) Annual National TU meeting coming to Roanoke VA, September 27-29, 2017
5) Nomination and election of officers to lead the Chapter in 2017
Don't forget the Swap Table - If you have not participated you may be missing out. In the recent past we have had books, magazines (free for the taking), rods, reels, tying vises, waders, vests, tackle boxes and more. Bring what you want to sell or trade. Slap your name and a price on it and recycle the stuff you don't use or need. Look around for those "it was a good idea at the time" purchases you made but now reside in the back of your closet or garage. Be ready to haggle. Bring some extra cash and walk away with some neat "I need one of those" items!
Giving this a bump to the top just before I head out the door on my latest adventure / volunteer mission - makes me wonder how I had time for work before I retired.
Hope to see all you Smith River addicts on Thursday evening.