News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tarpon Fishing?

Started by flatlander, April 17, 2015, 06:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Somebody set up the Cuba group trip! Do we still have to fly through Canada or Mexico to get there? Has to be cheaper that hookers and blow, right?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

I'm sure both hookers & blow are cheaper in Cuba.

Darthmonkey

1. There are still no direct flights from US airports to Cuba, closest one I believe is from Nassau, don't quote me on that. Toronto has daily flights to Havana that don't involve props or sketchy Russian pilots.
2. No need for hookers; most bars and clubs around tourist areas are off limits to locals. However were a gringo to bring one or a half-dozen ladies into a club as his personal guest(s), they'll be your girlfriend for the duration of your stay along with all that implies. Then again; Russian, Nordic, Canadian and British collegiate spring-breakers have unofficially made Cuba one of the hot spots. If you've never experienced a 19 year old Swedish chick on the hunt and mad with cabin fever, you're in for a treat.
3. Blow is so 80s, Molli is what's up.
4. Yellowdog and Frontiers travel do have annual trips to Cuba, not cheap and the permitting process is a royal fuckton of asspain.
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

Transylwader

Fuck you, Westie. You're going to Christmas Island. Bastage!

Darthmonkey

Quote from: Transylwader on April 22, 2015, 06:51:33 AM
Fuck you, Westie. You're going to Christmas Island. Bastage!
I'm also double majoring in computer science & electrical engineering, I have no life.
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

Peddler

So what should I be tying up for these alleged tarpon?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Peddler

No big report here. Got down to the Keys just in time to see the calm air and water off to be replaced by a constant high wind. We tried every night and hooked up quite a few times but just couldn't bring one in. We had the place to ourselves because no other fools seemed willing to fight the wind, waves and tide. We'll blame the wind, barometer, Obama or Bush, the BP shit spill or anything but it was frikkin' tough out there.
I got up and packed to leave on Saturday but seeing flaccidity in the flags for the first time since my arrival had me rethinking things and then at the perfect time my host asked me to stay and give it another shot. Good move all around as the boating was easier and now we could actually hear the tarpon out playing. A couple hits kept our interest up then the outgoing tide rang the real dinner bell and it was on. Two beasties over 100# to the boat after a whole lot of scrambling between me, the fish and the skipper trying to chase the fish and keep the boat in deep enough water in narrow channels on moonless nights. If we were in a flats boat we could have spun the boat around and chased better but then we wouldn't have been out there in that shit.
Damn those fish are strong and it's stale muscle groups on this guy that had me saying 'no mas' after the second tarpon. After a couple mishaps with a couple of the dainty new 12 weights Gary Jones 12 weight saved the night. It made delivering the groceries a snap in the wind when we used it and has the butt strength to maul those fish. Through both fights I learned a few things; One I ain't built right for this shit but can't wait to get back there, winding with the right hand makes sense now and every rod 12 weight and over has to have a fore grip. I was dying to straighten my arms out even a little bit during the fights but between reel handling and hanging on to a near normal length cork grip breathers weren't in the cards.
I didn't even know this was a bucket item until I added and scratched it off the list while still in the boat.
No pictures because our hands were pretty full and besides, it was pitch black out there.
Croaker (and I) wanted a scale and I was told sure as long as I let them have a thumbnail in return
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

croaker

Congrats!
Endeavor to persevere...
'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Dougfish

Good score for you. Persistence, indeed.

Dainty 12 wts? WTF?
(but then again, I have a 9 wt. that seems dainty)
I get what you are saying about a foregrip. The big, heavy vintage glass that's out there all had foregrips. Why did they go away?

sanjuanwormhatch

Best picture-less report I've encountered.  That sounds awesome.  Hope you celebrated with some cold beverages.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Good deal, Jack!  Glad someone made it down there.  Next time you gotta try it during daylight.