News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gizzard Shad?

Started by Fire-Fly, March 06, 2008, 13:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Has anyone ever flyfished for gizzard shad, i was wondering if you can actually catch them on a fly. They run here on the Dan River in Danville Va.. I have caught some before in the throw net casting for theadfin. I know they are right heavy in the James also. I have seen some as long as 30 inches, look like fun on a fly rod.

phg

None of the shad feed during their spawning runs, but American Shad and Hickory Shad will snap an annoyances, making it possible to tease them into biting.  I am told, by experienced shad fishermen, however, that the grizzard shad rarely display this behavior, so they are very difficult to catch, without resorting to snagging or lining.

No personal experience with Grizzard Shad, though, so take it for what it's worth.

rockroller

I have foul-hooked dozens of 'em while fishing for the other shad and stripers in the Potomac and I've foul-hooked a fair amount in Burke Lake when chasing crappie, whereas I can't recall ever foul-hooking a hickory or American.  Out of the dozens of "gizmos" I've foul-hooked and landed over the years, last year was the first time I hooked one in the mouth but I have wondered all year if that wasn't just a well-placed accident.