As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Loved Brown Dog!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

River of Doubt and Lost City of Z were good.    Lost City of the Monkey God not so great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sanjuanwormhatch

I love Emerald Mile.  Have given that book as a present many times.

How is the stranger in the woods?

Jfey

[/quote]
I speak for us all in that we are very surprised, but happy you learned to read. If you liked Harrison and want another, A Good Day To Die is a good one.
[/quote]

Thanks.  It was a long road but I made it.  Prob keep riding the Harrison train.  Will check out your suggestion.
Yup, going fishing

Beetle

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 15, 2017, 08:16:02 AM
I love Emerald Mile.  Have given that book as a present many times.

How is the stranger in the woods?

Stranger in the Woods was a good read but danced around a lot.   You could tell the author had to weave in historical and philosophical references to fill pages because there just wasn't much story to tell beyond 9 hours of conversation with Chris Knight (in jail).   I'd wait and find a used copy if you can.

Emerald Mile was off the hook.    Funny you mention giving books as presents.    There's a bookstore (Blue Moon) in Lovingston, VA.   Every time I go there they have copies of The River Why.   I've bought at least 6 or 7 and given them out.     Blue Moon is a gold mine if you're ever nearby and have A LOT of time on your hands.   I've found several first editions in there.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 14, 2017, 16:57:50 PM
should read "well written".

I do wonder if there are so many characters it takes that long just to develop them to get into the meat. 

His book on the AIM movement in the 70s is great.  Also very dense but very through on an interesting topic (esp in light of Dakota Access stuff now).

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse? Yep, that's a good one that has a permenant place on my shelf, along with his Under the Mountain Wall: A Chronicle of Two Seasons in the Stone Age.

Interesting word from the latter: Horim-a gourd penis sheath worn by Papauan warriors.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

@Beetle -- So, if I get the book, is it going to be far more than the article I've included here? Or is it a bunch of mumbo jumbo? I love hermit stuff. I wish I could be a hermit..... :banana072:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/12/inside-maine-hermits-lair

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 15, 2017, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 14, 2017, 16:57:50 PM
should read "well written".

I do wonder if there are so many characters it takes that long just to develop them to get into the meat. 

His book on the AIM movement in the 70s is great.  Also very dense but very through on an interesting topic (esp in light of Dakota Access stuff now).

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse? Yep, that's a good one that has a permenant place on my shelf, along with his Under the Mountain Wall: A Chronicle of Two Seasons in the Stone Age.

Interesting word from the latter: Horim-a gourd penis sheath worn by Papauan warriors.

That's the one.  I fancy myself somewhat knowledgeable about US History but had never heard of AIM much less the two FBI agents involved in the shootout (double nevermind everything else that happened). 

Beetle

Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 15, 2017, 09:26:12 AM
@Beetle -- So, if I get the book, is it going to be far more than the article I've included here? Or is it a bunch of mumbo jumbo? I love hermit stuff. I wish I could be a hermit..... :banana072:

Honestly, I think you could read this article and google the rest to get the story.    The book doesn't add much more other than anecdotal references to other hermits or related cultural/religious practices.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Beetle on March 15, 2017, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 15, 2017, 09:26:12 AM

Honestly, I think you could read this article and google the rest to get the story.    The book doesn't add much more other than anecdotal references to other hermits or related cultural/religious practices.

This is what I gathered as well from just a quick search or two. Much obliged.

Woolly Bugger

The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That's the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/?utm_term=.3bcab8111266
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Surprisingly, this forum is trending up.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Beetle

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2017, 14:20:08 PM
The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That's the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/?utm_term=.3bcab8111266

Not hard to correlate here.     Think MTV, ESPN, IBM PSII, etc.

Plus, non-fiction rules!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phil

"Plus, non-fiction rules!"

Now wait a durn minute. I like fiction as well.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2017, 14:20:08 PM
The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That's the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent

I'll be damned!  Clinton won 232 of the 538 electoral votes in November, which is 43.1%, and only 43% of adults read at least one work of literature in 2015.   So, 0.1% of Trump supporters, or 5.4 electoral arena non-readers were confused and soiled their ballot.  Now that is a parallel I can believe! 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon