News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 5/2

Started by thenextlevel, May 02, 2010, 18:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenextlevel

I'm new here to this forum.  I have been fly fishing since I was 8 (27 now).  Took a long break up until recently.  I decided to give the Smith a try as it's fairly close to home, and I know the water pretty well.  Ended up with 5 fish, all about the same size, 10-12 inches.  All of them hit a size 16 nymph.  I don't know what it is called, I picked it up at Orvis last week and it's not listed on their website.  I will be going back Monday to get the name of the fly and pick up some materials to tie more. Overall had a great day.  I only had time to fish for about 2.5 hours.  Next stop is Mossy Creek!

jwhop3

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

Woolly Bugger

good stuff -- getting five in a short trip ain't bad at all...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

That river is addicting.  Good job!

thenextlevel

I'm going back to Orvis tommorow to find the fly.  I'll post a picture  ;D

thenextlevel

The fly I used was called a Psycho Prince in a size 16.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Heres a link to a pic

http://shopflyfishingspecialties.com/umpqua-mercers-psycho-prince-pr-16186.html

I was using the blue one.  It worked really well, but thats not say any nymph wouldn't have worked. I just like it because it has some sparkle to it.  ;D

jwhop3

Apparently the trout agreed with your color choice. :j
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~