Spinning rods are the future fam

Started by Michael Toris, July 14, 2017, 23:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Yes and yes, Jason and Phil. Same family of fish, so great similarities in texture and taste. I just hate the bones in yellow perch. I wish I had a good place locally to toss a beetle or hopper pattern at them but when you find them around here, they are uber pune.

Onslow

I've just reviewed USGS maps to determine the native ranges of Walleyes, and smallies.  If taken literally, both bass walleye were did not exist upstream of the Sandstone/Brooks Falls area of the New River prior to introduction.  The maps are suspect.  Someone with a clue needs to clear this up.  I thought smallmouth were always ubiquitous in the whole of the New Basin.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 18:29:31 PM
I've just reviewed USGS maps to determine the native ranges of Walleyes, and smallies.  If taken literally, both bass walleye were did not exist upstream of the Sandstone/Brooks Falls area of the New River prior to introduction.  The maps are suspect.  Someone with a clue needs to clear this up.  I always thought smallmouth were always ubiquitous in the whole of the New Basin.

In Freshwater Fishes of Virginia, Jenkins and Burkhead state, "In Virginia the smallmouth bass is native to the Big Sandy and Tennessee drainages and is nonnative to the New and all major Atlantic drainages." 

Roughly the same statement for the Walleye, "In Virginia the Walleye apparently is native only to the Tennessee and Big Sandy drainages."

For what it is worth, Jenkins and Burkhead were meticulous in preparing this manuscript; it took them years and they refused to leave any stone unturned.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

Ken, have you ever looked in that hole by the pumphouse below Primland?    I think it's full of them.  Always wondered if they were stocked or native.

Great report G!   

Onslow

I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.

A closer look.  The last minute of this video is quite amazing.  Rather gnarly line.

Onslow

Quote from: Beetle on July 16, 2017, 19:16:14 PM
Ken, have you ever looked in that hole by the pumphouse below Primland?    I think it's full of them.  Always wondered if they were stocked or native.

Rumor has it someone bucket stocked Northern Pike, and Walleye in the puddle up the hill.

troutfanatic

Freshwater Fishes of Virginia is an excellent reference. I wish there was similar effort in books about the Carolinas. I have yet to find anything similar, unless it is about trout.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 PM
I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.

Ken, you're killing me!  You deleted some of your classic bloviating, again!

I agree.  Hard to believe they did not make it over those falls, which makes me question the old distribution records.  Perhaps the lower New records are suspect.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 16, 2017, 20:01:33 PM
Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 PM

Ken, you're killing me!  You deleted some of your classic bloviating, again!

I agree.  Hard to believe they did not make it over those falls, which makes me question the old distribution records.  Perhaps the lower New records are suspect.

Yes, Kanawha Falls is a bit larger.  So how did the flatties get up that?

NCsporksman

SCIENCE FIGHT.....Spinning rod is tits, need something longer, weird beard seems to think ice fishing poles get the jerb done...he has much to learn about angling the walleye

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

driver

I actually have loomis 7ft walleye rod. It was the FIL's. So the wife won't let me part with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on July 16, 2017, 21:31:04 PM
I actually have loomis 7ft walleye rod. It was the FIL's. So the wife won't let me part with it.

Sell me that shit

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: NCsporksman on July 16, 2017, 21:03:10 PM
SCIENCE FIGHT.....Spinning rod is tits, need something longer, weird beard seems to think ice fishing poles get the jerb done...he has much to learn about angling the walleye

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Keep casting upstream and losing my shit.

6' is as long as I go. Vertical jigging boss

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

driver

Btw wtf is fam?