Another Cold Day on The Smith

Started by rjs123, January 03, 2010, 17:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I fished today again for a couple of hours.  I started in Koehler and that proved to be a waste of time.  The wind was again really brutal and it was coming right down the river. With temps in the 20s I left there before I got completely frozen and headed to Bassett.  That proved to be the right thing to do.  There the fish were hitting really good.  I lost track but probably caught a dozen with 4 or 5 browns in addition to the stocked rainbows. In spite of the cold I had a really great time.  It indeed was a hassle with lots of ice in the guides and my reel freezing so it wouldnt move.  I fished there for about an hour and didnt even move more than 20 feet so I guess the fish were hungry and stacked up in the hole I was fishing.  I could have caught a few more but got tangled pretty bad so I left the river about 4:30 and headed home to thaw out.  Its after 5 now and I can finally feel my toes :)  No big fish but a lot of hits and caught fish in a short time so Id say it was a good day.  The ticket was a really ugly #14 bead head nymph I tied up.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ice floating near the bank across from me.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

fly4u

Now I feel real bad that I did not come up. You are the man. I kept thinking about it but every time I went out and thought of the  1:15 drive just to freeze to death I thought I was playing it smart. I also told my self I would spend time with my 16 year old son........We did manage to go to REI where I got a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves.  They are not what I really wanted but a start. My son has a 40.00 gift card that I tried to pay him 20.00 ...OK 25.00 cash for but he would not take it. He decided he would buy a shirt instead so he is having it shipped in , unless he changes his mind......children !

We did agree to go to the new 5 Guys Hamburgers and Fries. I paid. On the way home his car needed gas and he paid for that.....I just sit in the car....priceless !!!!!
" Thank You For Your Support "

rjs123

Well Im sorry you didnt come up.  I have to say it wasn't pleasant though, Im still cold.  Im not sure what got into the fish but they were really hitting. Maybe I wouldnt have done as well if I had fished another spot though,  Im not sure.

Im not dedicated Keith... just crazy  ;D

dossphoto

I drove down to Bassett where Bob was fishing today, but it was too freakin cold for me to get out of the truck!!!  I did get a picture of him fishing though......

rjs123

Nice Darrin !  ;D  That IS what I felt like!

Trout Maharishi

You are officially hard core! ;D I draw the line at ice in the guides. If I can't apply a little paste and keep the guides ice free; I'll be in the truck with the heater running drinking your hippie beer or scotch >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

rjs123

We had a heat wave today and the I guess the temperature reached 31!  I tried it for a short time in the same place and at first thought it would be as good as yesterday.  I got a hit on the first 5 casts but couldnt hook up.  What I didnt say in my post yesterday was I was getting most of my hits on the swing or just letting the fly sit downstream before I made another cast.  It was the same today but unlike yesterday I had a harder time hooking them.  I did get 2 rainbows but then it was like somenone flipped a switch and they stopped competely.  No more hits, not more fish.  I only fished for about an hour and headed home.  The river should have been up too when I got there but it wasnt.  They couldnt have generated till 11 like they were supposed to.

I guess we are supposed to get above freezing this week so I'll probably try it again a few times before I head for Florida on the weekend.