As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Playin the Hetzer

Started by Onslow, May 05, 2016, 18:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

This creek should have been named doghobble creek

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The agenda today was to bust out 1.5 miles of this primary creek and fork off onto a trib that is rather isolated and test its waters.  No trails to or from, just an endless doghobble mess between between point A and B.

First effing cast, the bug de girdle was hammered.  Things were hot the first hour with hookup or strikes in nearly every pool and pocket.

This fella gave me a thrill.  As soon as resistance was felt, he broadsided the current and took off down the creek.  Made chase down a rapid, and then he proceeded to head for woody cover.  Squeezed the line and said a prayer for the 4x.  Thank goodness the leader had been reconstructed 15 minutes earlier!

After a while, things slowed down a bit.  The browns were biting but very gently and were simply holding the goods in their mouth whilst being somewhat stationary.  This was rather frustrating...could not detect the hook ups until lifting the rod tip. 

Managed to snap up a 9-10" brookie which was unexpected.  This is a fairly large drainage (9 sq. mi) and altitude low (1600'). 

Upstream movement was becoming rather tedious.  The falls was about 10'.  The rock bluff to the right that required flanking was about 40'.  In addition to obstructions, it was getting rather chilly and I was wet wading and cold. 

Damn, more ahead.  It was 3 pm....a bit late to be busting out crap such as this.  I needed to be home by 5.30.  Four fine hours on the water did the job.  I was about .3 of a mile short of my goal of making it up to a major trib.  I had hoped to molest some natives up there. 

Dee-Vo

Hetzer, for real. Good to see ya bust through to new water, maybe the trib can be conquered eventually.

Nice ass brown. The brookie concept is interesting. Oh, and that deep and dark hole looks like it has to be home to Brownzilla.

That creek is a real treat. Thanks for the report.

driver

That water looks like the sex!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Dayum you're hitting it again and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

DRIFTS

Wish I could get out...stuck at work...thanx!  /'/ bd;0 'c; -0-
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Onslow

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 05, 2016, 20:08:54 PM
Hetzer, for real. Good to see ya bust through to new water, maybe the trib can be conquered eventually.

Nice ass brown. The brookie concept is interesting. Oh, and that deep and dark hole looks like it has to be home to Brownzilla.

That creek is a real treat. Thanks for the report.

Topos indicate a drop off in gradient just up from where I stopped.  Perhaps upstream movement won't be so difficult upstream of log falls.

Btw, by the time I reached VW rock pool, the fish were already getting snooty.  The dark and deep pictured yielded just one fish. 

No love at smooth or big ledge.
Dayum you're hitting it again and again.

Define it :P Last three outings have taken place on three different creeks.....just sayin.

bamafisher

Beautiful stream and nice looking fish! Great spot to explore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mathew 4:19
"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." Gen Mattis, USMC

Yallerhammer

Good stuff.  'c; That's some fine looking water. There's probably one about two feet long in that big hole that done ate all the rest of them.

Bonus points for the Outlaws tune, one of my favorites.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ptfranze

Great looking water  'c; Looks like a great trip

Dee-Vo

I'm thinking further efforts are required.  V:;