SAFFA heads slightly north.

Started by Big J, July 22, 2013, 07:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Shot TW a text to see if he wanted to get back into VA and fish this past Saturday.  We changed our plans a couple times to avoid rain and streams that were iffy.  Finally decided to hit a local stream in the AM and then hit a stream we were questioning had brookies.  A source who I won't name had told us he was told had brook trout  b'; but in all honesty, wasn't his fault and it was good to finally mark that stream off the list for good.  Luckily I had a back up stream close by.  Was a good time, and between the two of us I'd say we caught a hundred fish.  Mike took more pictures then me, but here what I got from the trip.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Turned out to be a great day weather wise.

Best fish of the day, not a beast by any means, but a solid 8 inches.  Mike had one that was around 11 inches come up and look at his dry, but no commitment.

A dead decomposing snake corpse.

A live Timber Rattler.  It was on the troutless stream we hiked to.  Mike about 20 minutes after this stepped on a snake while we were bushwhacking out and had the snake make a swipe at him.  I heard a yelp and saw him running saying he stepped on a snake.  We have no idea what kind it was, but we weren't going back to see.

Back up stream.

Dougfish

Nice.  'c;
Looking forward to TW's pics.
I wonder who that peckerhead was who gave you bad thirdhand intel?  ;D

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 22, 2013, 08:23:38 AM
Nice.  'c;
Looking forward to TW's pics.
I wonder who that peckerhead was who gave you bad thirdhand intel?  ;D

IDK, but I've given him a smite for it   >:D

Transylwader

Had an awesome time! Thanks for the invite dude. Rock Castle Creek is a shithole. Bleak! Photobucket & Flickr are banned at work. Got internet disconnected at the house because it is shit. No pix. Anyone who is friends with me on facebook can see the pix there. I espeically like the sticker Big J sports on his ride "just say no to weenies" courtesy of Mudflap. There is a "gatewood" road in Yanceyville, NC.
Doug, peckerhead is an understatement! More like chub chucker! That was a pretty crick but I just cannot see trout living in it because the James is no place for them to retreat in winter.

Dougfish

Quote from: Transylwader on July 22, 2013, 09:22:52 AM
Had an awesome time! Thanks for the invite dude. Rock Castle Creek is a shithole. Bleak! Photobucket & Flickr are banned at work. Got internet disconnected at the house because it is shit. No pix. Anyone who is friends with me on facebook can see the pix there. I espeically like the sticker Big J sports on his ride "just say no to weenies" courtesy of Mudflap. There is a "gatewood" road in Yanceyville, NC.
Doug, peckerhead is an understatement! More like chub chucker! That was a pretty crick but I just cannot see trout living in it because the James is no place for them to retreat in winter.

Keep telling everyone it's a shithole. Less people for me to run into.  ;D
Maybe there are trout in that chub crick? Hmmm. I will rub it in if I score.
FB pics are awesome, BTW.

The Dude

You could have at least picked up a case of Our Dog Blue or Black Dog whilst you were up thataway.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

It appears you guys had a great time.  Good job!

But I just can't stand it anymore.  I've got to inquire about the identity of your live snake on the rock.  That is the oddest rattler I have ever seen. 

Big J., I know you are a man of faith and conviction.  Let me suggest a short jaunt across the state line to witness real poisonous serpents.  I suggest dropping Mike off in Princeton, if he accompanies you.  His faith tracks differently and he would surely get bitten and die. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 23, 2013, 05:21:16 AM

But I just can't stand it anymore.  I've got to inquire about the identity of your live snake on the rock.  That is the oddest rattler I have ever seen. 

I agree with you.  I thought it was just a water snake until Mike pointed out the rattle.  You can see it on the end of the snakes tail in the picture.  I thought they were more brownish with patterns in them too like this.

But they also can be very black like this.

flatlander

Too many snake pictures!  Glad you didn't get bit, Tranny.

benben reincarnated

I can hear Mike screaming what I imagine he said when the 11" brookie rejected his fly... "DID YOU SEE THAT!?!?!?  Jesus Christ!". 

Snakes.    b';

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on July 23, 2013, 05:55:18 AM
  I thought it was just a water snake until Mike pointed out the rattle.

I don't see any "rattle".  I see a shiny tipped tail from exiting the water.  I don't see a "rattler" head.  I don't think this is a "rattler".  I think you relied on the senses and pseudo-Appalachian familiarity of a South African that smokes his socks, carries way too much tippet, likes mammoth reels, drinks like a fish, etc.  I enjoy Mike; he's one of the BRFFF'ers I will enjoy meeting someday.  But, in this case, I think he sold you a bill of goods.  How much had Mike consumed when he made this ophidian identification for you?   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 23, 2013, 06:30:17 AM
Quote from: Big J on July 23, 2013, 05:55:18 AM
  I thought it was just a water snake until Mike pointed out the rattle.

I don't see any "rattle".  I see a shiny tipped tail from exiting the water.  I don't see a "rattler" head.  I don't think this is a "rattler".  I think you relied on the senses and pseudo-Appalachian familiarity of a South African that smokes his socks, carries way too much tippet, likes mammoth reels, drinks like a fish, etc.  I enjoy Mike; he's one of the BRFFF'ers I will enjoy meeting someday.  But, in this case, I think he sold you a bill of goods.  How much had Mike consumed when he made this ophidian identification for you?

:laugh: I don't know what snake it is anymore, but it's a snake.  I wasn't going to get close enough to it to confirm it was a rattler either.

Beetle

As much as it pains me to say this, I am going to have to agree with Mudwall........  that's a nice water snake though   -0- 

Glad you guys had fun!   But I'm sure it wasn't as much fun as cutting grass (hay) all weekend. 

tomato can

Yeah that is a water snake.  I'm glad you tried that creek.  If its the creek I am thinking about, I hope you tried bombing your 10 weight at the confluence.  supposed to be a good place to catch a muskie.

Transylwader

:laugh:
:-*
:P
Mudders you are a laugh mate.
I never take time to study a snake. I am pretty scared of the slithery bastages as anyone with a brain should be. Get Bent woulda picked it up and probably hurled it at me and say, "see, he didn't bite, pussy". No thanks all the same. I was slightly inebriated when we came across the snake. Warm PBR, profusely sweaty Saffa ass and 90F 300% humidity makes for a tough time. The main thing is that the larger river has musky and I am amped to sling the 10 soon.
Yesterday I got my ass handed to me by 4 x 40"+ gar. I am humbled, baffled, gutted, but most of all frustrated. Let the bastards swim off with the clouser long enough to get them to swallow. I shall retreat to using a rope fly and hopefully my fortune changes. At work scheming up a plan. Whats with work anyway? I spend a good 6 hours a day on here talking shit, thinking of fishing, then dipping out two hours early and actually going fishing. Strange shit...