News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson

Started by MuddlerMan, October 20, 2010, 19:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuddlerMan

I've been wanting to fish the D below the hatchery for a while, and with the dropping water temps I figured today was the day. The whole drive up I was wondering what I was going to throw.

The instant I got out of the car I saw a massive caddis. Made it down to the water and saw tons of caddis but no fish rising. Tried my hand nymphing to no avail. Finally saw a fish rise upstream. Matched the hatch and immediately nailed this guy
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

One more cast and this guy came to hand

Fished on a little further with no success. Saw fewer and fewer caddis until there were none. It was still morning and pretty cloudy. Then a little grey bug caught my eye. There were some BWOs coming off. I managed to catch a few little rainbows and didn't bother taking pictures.

The sun started peeking through the clouds and the fishing got pretty lousy, but the scenery was very nice

With the fishing going cold, I decided to head up to the hatchery to see what was happening there. After a few drifts I nailed this guy

Caught a few more but, again, didn't bother with photographing them.

The day was good  -0- -0- -0-
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Just how low was the water?  By the way, pretty fish! -0-

MuddlerMan

Quote from: 5xTippett on October 20, 2010, 20:43:43 PM
Just how low was the water?

The water was crazy low.  We need rain REALLY bad everywhere
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead

jdavis22

Have fly rod will travel!

Cowboy

Excellent work muddler! Just wondering, are those fish really wild, or "glorified stockers" as transylwader says? I might have to put the big D on the list. Catching fish that nice in an environment like that sure would beat dodging turds on the "sewer" in WV. ???

diaz dassie

Stockers! Every last one of 'em. Muddler will have to pray to the Brookie God's for forgiveness for his weakness in having that shit arse creek lure him like a catholic priest would a small boy in Ireland... :o

possessed

Strictly my opinion, hopefully I do not offend those that like to fish the D.

Just my $.02, above and below the hatchery, they are wild. 

At the hatchery, they are pellet eating domestic livestock.  Look at the coloration on most hatchery D fish, they look like HS/DH trout. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some beasts in there and they are hard as hell to catch. 

MuddlerMan

Quote from: Cowboy on October 21, 2010, 15:43:10 PM
Excellent work muddler! Just wondering, are those fish really wild, or "glorified stockers" as transylwader says?

Possessed pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Above and below are wild, but I think there's probably some hold over fish that moved up the river from the HS stretch.  The fish below the hatchery get hammered pretty hard too though, and are pretty wary.  I spooked a nice fish who in turn spooked a monster brown that would measure up to any beast in the hatchery stretch  :o.  They're in there and they are smart.  It's a good place to fish but needs some water right now.  And Transyl can just leave these "stockers" to me  -0-

Cowboy

Might have to put the big D on the roster sometime. Hopefully transylwader won't disown me for it ;D

Get Bent

Quote from: Cowboy on October 21, 2010, 18:16:17 PM
Might have to put the big D on the roster sometime. Hopefully transylwader won't disown me for it ;D

Yeah go to the D-bag... Leave the sewer for me! 8)
Konichiwa Bitches!

Cowboy

Quote from: Get Bent on October 21, 2010, 18:43:11 PM
Quote from: Cowboy on October 21, 2010, 18:16:17 PM

Yeah go to the D-bag... Leave the sewer for me! 8)

Actually weren't we supposed to be planning a trip up there? I am actually game to fish the turd floater again. Me and transylwader almost went but that plan fell through.

I really miss having some dude trying to pimp out his ugly girlfriend for 20 bucks.... I take it you know that guy?
One time I saw a brown pickin' corn kernels off the bottom :'(

diaz dassie

Jesse, what do you expect in WV? Cue the banjo music :laugh: