News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Pisgah 9/25

Started by supaflyGSR, September 25, 2007, 22:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supaflyGSR

Fished in the Pisgah today for the first time.  Started off on looking glass creek above the falls, absolutely gorgeous rainbows in the 4-7 inch range we're caught all day on anything yellow size 14-smaller.  Pretty neat little creek, good pockets and nice riffles even with the extremely low flow.

From there we headed to the davidson. Everyone talks so much about it i figured i might as well try.  For the first hour or so i tried every midge in the box with out so much as a look.   There wasn't much surface activity to speak of except for a few rainbows sky rocketing out of the water at mach 2!  I have no idea what they were doin' but it was crazy to watch.  Out of frustration i tied on a foam cylinder ant...Man was that the answer.  I was so shocked at the first 10 or so strikes that i completely missed the hookset or lost the fish within a couple seconds.  Finally i saw the fish sip the ant waited and struck;  what followed was pure madness.  This fish seemed as shocked as i was and swam right to me then decided against his previous decision and headed back towards the logs.  Finally got him in and boy...i measured him in at 18 inches on the tape and let him on his merry way.  Those rainbows are always gorgeous.  My worries of low flow quickly disspeared as the fish picked off a grasshopper floating by him as soon as he got back to his lie.  Unfortunately no pics this time as the camera was in the car.  o-o

that really is a neat river, i'd love to get back when flows are normal.  The fish we're stacked around undercut banks and overhanging vegetation. 

later on guys

-josh

man it felt good to be fishin' again!

Woolly Bugger

sounds like a most excellent adventure....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

kylemc

phg

Just had to try at the hatchery, didn't ya. ;)

Glad you had a good urn. 0--0

Trout Maharishi

I think the water is really too low to be fishing there. ^-^ Just as well you left the camera in the car.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Chaser

Josh,

I'm glad you found some running water and found a few fish that were hungry.

TC

supaflyGSR

yes i agree that the flow was very low but the gentleman at DRO said that it was enough to fish safely and that they were still taking clients out. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: supaflyGSR on September 26, 2007, 11:19:38 AM
yes i agree that the flow was very low but the gentleman at DRO said that it was enough to fish safely and that they were still taking clients out. 

He's gotta make a living guiding, the water is way low, give the fish a break, come back when the water's up...

Sure it's not as low as a couple of weeks ago.. and it sure is a temptation to fish when you get there...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

Anyone know what the water temp is by any chance?  I have heard it was in the high 50's before this last warm spell this week.   
Peter

troutfreak

I was in the Davidson back in June and the water was about halfway up my calf and I was there on school trip for my younger son & checked it out last week, it was about the same, so the water is there....there was three people in site and no one caught anything the 30 minutes I stood there watching.  One of the guys from Davidson Outfitter who eats lunch there everyday was talking to a Hatchery worker and I overheard him say the big ones are rising on the lower part under the trees.  he was saying how it was ok to be fishing as long as the temp was okay.