Main Menu

3,000,000 Gallon"accident"

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 07, 2015, 16:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Plume of orange muck creeps toward New Mexico
http://nyp.st/1DvAkSX

What a disaster!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sanjuanwormhatch

It's really sad if you look at before and after pictures.  Damn shame.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 08, 2015, 11:05:33 AM
The sad thing is that it was caused by the EPA! Fuckers

Please explain.  Never mind, I now get it.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

It's that fucking George Bush again b'; Don't worry though the government is in control now. BHO will save us all. They have already saved millions just by telling us not to drink it :P This is just another example of why we let other countries fuck up their environment  to supply our needs in the heavy metals area. Besides it's too expensive to mine it with all those pesky regulations and expensive union labor.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Some of you may not be aware of this, but whole mountains in Co are being leveled for the purpose of extracting gold from ore.  The ore is stacked on a membrane that is designed to prevent the cyanide solution from leaking into the soil.  The Cyanide solution is sprayed on on the ore, not in some contained environment, but in vast rubble fields.  To the best of my knowledge, this spent ore is just left lying about on the supposedly impermeable layer of membrane indefinitely.  This according to my brother in law, a former resident of this area.

This should pique yer interest.

http://phas-wsd.org/documents/Cyanide%20Leach%20Mining%20PPT.pdf

http://snobear.colorado.edu/Markw/Intro/Summitville/summitville.html

http://www.amesconstruction.com/job-site.cfm?id=191&submarket_id=6&market_id=2

Pics of a Cripple Creek leach pad.

One of my nephews was born and raised in the San Luis Valley in Co.  The environs in this dusty valley are hardly suitable for human habitation.  The lad's mercury poisoning was off the charts when he was just 9 years old.  He also will have to spend the remainder of his life coping with chronic asthma, probably due to inhalation of the toxic dust in the valley.  The young man, now 30, is doomed to spend the rest of his years within close proximity of the Pacific coast in Cali, or Hawaii. The fresh clean ocean air is the only air he breath without putting himself at risk with a lethal asthma attack.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Transylwader

Woolly, did you read Eph's post on Nemo's board? Holy fucking shit mayne.
EPA, do as I say, not as I do. Fuckers are among the worst in this nation at protecting the environment.
They are scum of the earth. Can't tell you how many times I have seen builders deliberately cut corners and cause all kinds of cataclysmic fuck ups and the EPA turns a blind eye because a billion dollar corporation has them in their back pocket.
I suppose humans will never quit fucking shit up. It's time we start prepping our hands to get used to a game controller so we can "fish" on TV because the outdoors will be a memory.

Grannyknot

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Al

Quote from: Grannyknot on August 10, 2015, 15:27:23 PM
Here's a pretty good article that a friend from Colorado sent me just a few minutes ago...
http://www.hcn.org/articles/when-our-river-turned-orange-animas-river-spill

Very good link by Grannyknot - take the time to read it. Also click on the comments section because there is more good info there. If nothing else this should be a wake up call.  Lots of similar situations just waiting to happen and not all of them are caused by the current owners of the mines or holding ponds. Many times they want to do something but the EPA and state agencies block them so they just sit there and hope for the best.

One positive note is they placed 100 trout in a holding cage in the yellow mess and they are doing fine so far with the exception of one which probably was injured during transfer to the cage.

sanjuanwormhatch

disasters are not frequently caused by current owners because mining interests will create an entity for particular projects, complete project, dismantle entity.  for them to say "well it wasn't us that even put the [mine/coal ash pond/etc] there" is total bs.  may not have been "blue ridge mining I, llc" but it was probably blue ridge mining, llc. 

Shane

Probably should just let the extraction industry police themselves. They'd like to, they want to, but regulations keep getting in the way.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

flatlander

No worries.  The EPA says the Animas is already "restoring itself".  It's too bad a private company didn't cause this fuckup.  Think of all the missed fund raising opportunities and prime-time news coverage this would have gotten.