News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Piscary Report

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, June 12, 2017, 19:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Mother Nature's feathered-winged jets tacking up and down the corridor of Backaway Creek, morsels of newly emerged aquatic flesh arrested and consumed before my eyes.  The swallows had a story to tell; at this very twinkling all was well with my domain.   The tiny serpent concurred, quiescent on its 4.5 billion year old settee, sopping in the neutrinos from our life-giving hot plasma sphere, the burnt umber colored armor serving its body well.   

Trekking east on Rt 39 I was chagrined to discover I had but one Annelida remaining in my Bob-Bet Bait Box.    The antiquated belt attachment had failed me, leaving a ball of wriggling mass somewhere on the baking tarmacadam.  Impaling the last of mother earth's aerators on the Claw of the Eagle, adjusting the atomic number 82 pellet on the my 6 lb. thread attachment to the aquatic world, I fervently prepared in anticipation of hooking a scarlet side-striped cycloid scaled interloper or some other finned quarry.   Casting in the frothy churn, letting the slimy carrot flow through the glide into the deeper depositional area, a rock-solid strike coupled with an aging retort left me with a naked rig. What a waste, to miss the target with my last live bullet!

Calling on Captain Black and my steadfast Zippo, it was reassessment time.   Rummaging through the spinner box, I selected a diminutive gold-bladed gyrator with an orange fly, assembled and tied by Joe.   For the next mile, trudging in a positive rheotaxis direction, I targeted every lair that could embrace a fishy.  After several non-native Salmoniformes, a glut of almost-native James watershed smallies, and a pleasing number of aboriginal types, I was proximate to home. 

Peace.

Abbreviated Version:  I went fishing, lost all but one of my worms before I started, caught several on a Joe Flies spinner. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

'bout time you posted a trip report MW. Love that combo spin / fly rod outfit you have. bd;0 'c; bd;0 'c; bd;0

Dougfish

This is an example of why you don't get invites.

But I'll sell you more old shit I don't need if you want it.  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

BrookieHunter

Hell yea!!  'c;

I see a nightcrawler vs red wiggler shootout in the future.  V:;

Yallerhammer

"Carrot" in the cynosure of all that flamboyant, convoluted verbiage? I woulda went with "lumbricid enticement." :D

Looks like a good day of unembellished angling. Nothing like one of those old Centuries, they were in a class of their own.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

You sir are peaking in retirement. 

No picture of your Zippo?  :laugh:

sanjuanwormhatch

No one cares about you and Cary's fetishes. 

troutfanatic

The century on the eagle claw is a classic, but I still prefer the old Zebco UL4.

Lithwan

That got me thinking of all the great summer mornings I would spend digging up sacrificial worms with my brother, as a mischievous youth in NW Jersey. Very Nice.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on June 14, 2017, 09:19:24 AM
The century on the eagle claw is a classic, but I still prefer the old Zebco UL4.

Actually, the rod is my first fly rod, a Shakespeare Wonder Rod sold by Sears as a Ted Williams Special.  My late father bought me the rod when we were on a trip to Sears Town on Williamson Road in Roanoke in the mid-60s.  I had it refurbished sometime in the early 90s by a gent in PA. 

I learned quickly as a kid that it was a great fly rod, BUT also a wonderful tool for manipulating bait and spinners when equipped with a push button reel.  Push the button against your body, then flip – easy peazy.  With the Zebco 33, my reel as a kid, you had to reel backwards if you held the rod as a fly rod – no big deal.  With the Century, you can switch the reeling direction, an upgrade from my youth; I can accept certain new paraphernalia.

Rock on, you snobs!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on June 12, 2017, 19:45:38 PM
This is an example of why you don't get invites.

But I'll sell you more old shit I don't need if you want it.  :laugh:

Hey, I know you're the quintessential purveyor of certain worthwhile old shit, but if you're not offering to sell me those old bait containers, then you can kiss my ass.

I hope a rattler crawls up your pants leg this weekend and bites you on the dick.  I know Big J will refuse to comfort by sucking out any poison.  So, your unit will swell and lengthen.  Then you can carry your new tool home and show the Mrs. what 6 inches really looks like, because I am damned sure you've been bamboozling her for years on measurements, certainly after seeing your "14 inch" brookie.  If that brookie was 14" then I am in line to be the next dictator of Equatorial Guinea.   Buy a cheap tape and provide some real data!

You and J be careful among those Scot-Irish inhabitants.  Ransom J if you have to; I've heard him squeal like a pig. 

Dougfish

Suk it. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

You leave me out of this.  Too much dick and squealing talk. 

Also we are not fishing where you think we are fishing  8)  Close to it though.  We'll drop a rattler off to you on the way back. 

troutfanatic

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 15, 2017, 06:52:50 AM
Quote from: troutfanatic on June 14, 2017, 09:19:24 AM

Actually, the rod is my first fly rod, a Shakespeare Wonder Rod sold by Sears as a Ted Williams Special.  My late father bought me the rod when we were on a trip to Sears Town on Williamson Road in Roanoke in the mid-60s.  I had it refurbished sometime in the early 90s by a gent in PA. 

I learned quickly as a kid that it was a great fly rod, BUT also a wonderful tool for manipulating bait and spinners when equipped with a push button reel.  Push the button against your body, then flip – easy peazy.  With the Zebco 33, my reel as a kid, you had to reel backwards if you held the rod as a fly rod – no big deal.  With the Century, you can switch the reeling direction, an upgrade from my youth; I can accept certain new paraphernalia.

Rock on, you snobs!

The Ted Williams gear was the hotness back in the day. I have a blaze orange hunting jacket I was given many years ago by an elderly friend of my grandmother. It no longer fits, but I keep it for nostalgic reasons. I was turned on to the fly rod spinning reel game by the local sporting goods store owner as a kid. My first rod was also a shakespeare. I think it was an "Alpha" model. He said, use this with a zebco underspin reel for smallies and you can throw a spinner a country mile. I bought a UL4 and I loved it. The rod broke decades ago, but the reel held out until 2008. I still have it and I constantly scour ebay for parts. I now own about four of them, but the modern Chinese version is garbage compared to the UL4 Classic made in 'Merica.