News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Public vs. Private Water

Started by WoodrowCall, July 09, 2009, 15:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay to fish private water with a rod limit on a public stream?

Definitely, no matter the price!
1 (3.1%)
Maybe, if it was cheap and not crowded
11 (34.4%)
Not sure, I'd have to see
4 (12.5%)
Probably not, doesn't seem right
5 (15.6%)
Definitely not, it's not American!
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

flatlander

Quote from: WoodrowCall on July 09, 2009, 17:03:53 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. The Davidson has a private section like it, and the Rivers Way section also. Just wondering how everyone feels about private water on an otherwise public stream.

Yes, I think I would support a beat system on some rivers/streams. 

A couple of points though.

As Woolly said, Bullhead was formerly a private fishing club.  If you look at the flat rock to the right in the home pool, you can still see the club name inscribed there.  The beat system on Bullhead effectively gave the public access to its own "private club" and it worked well for many years.  However (and this is important), just creating a pay/beat system will not make a stream great. What made Bullhead so great was the group of park rangers that ran it for years, specifically Larry Trivett.  After he left, it went down hill fast.  You have to have people really watch after a piece of water to protect it, otherwise the public will eventually destroy it.

Secondly, let's not perpetuate the myth that River's Way has a private section of the Holston (at least until we're proven wrong).  They are charging for access to the river from their property ( Ihave no problem with that), but I do not believe they are restricting use of the water itself to people who access it legally from other areas...unless something has changed in the recent weeks with all the hoopla. 

Shane

I don't see anything with charging access fees to what is rightfully held by anyone, private or public. Helps things run. Creates some fishing where before there was none, preserves others, eliminates some others.

I personally have no desire for exclusivity. I'd just as soon have a conversation with a family in jeans and riding tubes on the Davidson as I would with some of the members of clubs I've met. The main difference between those two sets of people is that the family of tubers don't actually put that many fish down when they slog through a hole.

S

jwgnc

The kind of paid fishing I hope most people would accept is the $3.00 Bridge access on the Madison below Quake Lake.  An old rancher charged $3 to grade the parking lot every now and then, and help pay the taxes on the land.  Perfect situation for all involved.  Still open - with a $3 donation - and maintained by Montan Fish Wildlife and Parks.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

troutdawg

Quote from: Flatlander on July 13, 2009, 08:58:24 AM

Secondly, let's not perpetuate the myth that River's Way has a private section of the Holston (at least until we're proven wrong).  They are charging for access to the river from their property ( Ihave no problem with that), but I do not believe they are restricting use of the water itself to people who access it legally from other areas...unless something has changed in the recent weeks with all the hoopla.

That is correct.  For your Riversway fee, you get the right to park on the property and access the stream, assuming the rod limit has not already been reached.  You also get the right to rent the lodge for a weekend.  If you do rent the lodge, you have the run of the Riversway property--other members can't use it that weekend (In theory--it often doesn't work out that way in practice).  Unless something has changed very recently there will still be other anglers in that stretch of water who accessed it by other means.  It is very different from 'privatized' water.  More like a safe parking space, which does have some value in that area.

flatlander

Quote from: troutdawg on July 14, 2009, 07:17:32 AM

That is correct.  For your Riversway fee, you get the right to park on the property and access the stream, assuming the rod limit has not already been reached.  You also get the right to rent the lodge for a weekend.  If you do rent the lodge, you have the run of the Riversway property--other members can't use it that weekend (In theory--it often doesn't work out that way in practice).  Unless something has changed very recently there will still be other anglers in that stretch of water who accessed it by other means.  It is very different from 'privatized' water.  More like a safe parking space, which does have some value in that area.

How long does it take the 6 rod limit to fill on a weekend if no one is renting the lodge? How often is the lodge rented and what does it go for? 

diaz dassie

I guess after living in South Africa and UK for the better part of 20 years, I am open to the idea of paying to fish a part of a stream for a fee (a beat system is great because it ensures, for the better part, that you will have that portion to yourself for the day). The streams are run by a Piscatorial Society. The Members had to pay a pretty hefty annual fee and they were permitted to fish beat system creeks free, the public had to get a forestry permit and buy a day license. Kind of like Cherokee. Seeing the Davidson on some days is a major deterrant in itself. However, once you have become aquainted with the surroundings, theres fair game all over the place!Bullhead is alot closer to my home anyways so I always end up there. Too bad about the jackass locals who decided to make trout jerky or whatever the heck they did with those poor beasts they drag netted outta Bullhead.I don't actually know what is worse than the crowded Davidson, seeing the corn flinging assholes on DH opening day?

rjs123

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 10, 2009, 20:59:43 PM
Quote from: troutrus on July 10, 2009, 20:18:18 PM
Here's a place that may interest you. Sounds like they'll even clean and cook 'em for ya, and you probably don't even need a license.
http://www.grandfathertroutfarm.com/

that's what I'm talkin about!

So how much did that one cost him?  Probably be cheaper to go to the super market.

rjs123

There is a place in Rural Retreat VA that charges 50 bucks to fish all day. They say they only stock 2lb and larger trout and stock it daily.

Ive never been there and dont plan to go but met a guy who spin fishes that went and said he liked it. There are a lot of bait fisherman that fish this place from what he told me.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Blue.Springs.Trout.Fishing.276-621-4238

troutfreak

If you eat fish, go to the damn super market and buy it.  I am a catch and release man and would hope everyone else would try to be due to the fact our wilderness, animals, and habitats are changing daily.  I dont understand why someone would fish/hunt, keep, and eat.  If I wanted to eat fish, I would simply go to the supermarket.  Fishing is a sport for me...not a source of food.  I enjoy fishing so I can catch it and release.  So, someone else can enjoy it also.  just my 2 cents.  Not trying to offend anyone.  Its just we need to be more aware of our wilderness and habitats of the wilderness, then appreciate them being there for us to relax and enjoy fishing.

Al

Quote from: troutfreak on November 18, 2009, 10:54:07 AM
If you eat fish, go to the damn super market and buy it.  I am a catch and release man and would hope everyone else would try to be due to the fact our wilderness, animals, and habitats are changing daily.  I dont understand why someone would fish/hunt, keep, and eat.  If I wanted to eat fish, I would simply go to the supermarket.  Fishing is a sport for me...not a source of food.  I enjoy fishing so I can catch it and release.  So, someone else can enjoy it also.  just my 2 cents.  Not trying to offend anyone.  Its just we need to be more aware of our wilderness and habitats of the wilderness, then appreciate them being there for us to relax and enjoy fishing.

I agree. I just wonder where the super markets get all that meat and fish they sell ???.  Must have some machine out back which manufactures it some way and then wraps it in saranwrap.

SmallieRod

5xTippett

Troutfreak, have you paid your PETA dues for the month?

flatlander

Would this be a good time to remind everyone to...

EAT MORE PERMIT! ;D

Trout Maharishi

I hear all the fish taco stands in the Keys are switching to them ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

5xTippett

Wonder what this guy would think of Beetle's offshore jaunt? :angel: