News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fake News

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, October 11, 2017, 14:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on October 15, 2017, 09:43:56 AM
Hiner is serving up more non sequitur casserole.  Boy Scouts implies boys, not white boys, and not girls.

Now it also implies girls – deal with it.  Implications and inferences are often wrong.

Ken, you're just making me cerebrally exhausted! 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

JMiller

The ultimate question here is: Is there any value in segregating young men and women at certain ages?

It would seem to me that a parent might rightfully think there is and might want this as an option.

The military seems to think there is some benefit. And (although I wasn't very active in scouting) the scouts are found on/loosely based on military protocols.
Educators seem to thinks so as well, considering that we have all-girls schools, dorms, etc.

I don't view myself as a conservative, but to to have an organization focused on providing such an option for young men  seems like a worthwhile endeavor, to me.
That it is viewed as exclusionary in nature, and the organization ultimately caved from it's mission by abandoning its strongest attribute (IMO), is an indictment of growing insecurity and unreasonableness in our culture and spinelessness of leadership.

Should a girl not have the right to every opportunity that a boy has?
Certainly she should.
Girl scout leaders (or any other organization who wants to take the torch) are free to build an organization and infrastructure offering the same activities and benefits. Hell, I bet boy scout leaders (those opposed to this move) would (probably already do) share their considerable facilities and infrastructure (built and donated very specifically for them and their precise mission) to help them meet this goal.

Instead? We get a fun social experiment. Man Im getting old. 

EDIT:
NO, I obviously didnt read the article first. LOL
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

do that many girls really want to be in the boy scouts?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: JMiller on October 16, 2017, 09:37:16 AM

I like the way you think!  Social experiment?  Being a fan of testing, research, trial and error, investigating, I am all for it.  Will this "social experiment" work?   Is the impetuous for this tryout truly "growing insecurity and unreasonableness in our culture and spinelessness of leadership", or is it visionariness and prophetic?  Have other similar "social experiments" demonstrated merit and longevity?  Failures?

How do we compare to others occupying this pale blue dot when it comes to gender parity? 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/women-full-list

Native Fisher

Onslow,

I have a link to a 40 minute video of Michael Surbaugh the Chief Scout Executive talking about the changes if your interested in it.  You can pm me.

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 16, 2017, 10:36:31 AM

I like the way you think!  Social experiment?  Being a fan of testing, research, trial and error, investigating, I am all for it.  Will this "social experiment" work?   Is the impetuous for this tryout truly "growing insecurity and unreasonableness in our culture and spinelessness of leadership", or is it visionariness and prophetic?  Have other similar "social experiments" demonstrated merit and longevity?  Failures?

How do we compare to others occupying this pale blue dot when it comes to gender parity? 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/women-full-list

So men don't matter?

WTF is the definition of equal rights?

JMiller

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 16, 2017, 10:36:31 AM

I like the way you think!  Social experiment?  Being a fan of testing, research, trial and error, investigating, I am all for it.

Great.
To set up such an experiment properly, it seems like we'd need a mixed-gender scout group, then a control group entirely comprised of boys, to compare their performance against. If only we could find one of those...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

BSA Venture Crews are already Ceod.

For those who did not hear...VENTURE CREWS ARE ALREADY COED.

Where is the support for the boys who joint to join the Girl Scouts?  Male adult leaders??????  Dammit, I'm going to lawyer up!

JMiller

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on October 16, 2017, 11:10:54 AM
So men don't matter?

A stupid fucking question earns a thoughtless fucking answer.

There's always Al Bundy's NO MA'AM (National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood/Numb Old Men Anxiously Awaiting Morticians).

Quote from: Onslow on October 16, 2017, 11:10:54 AM
WTF is the definition of equal rights?

I have no idea; I've never seen or experienced it. 

Onslow

You are the one who starts the silly heckling contests.  You are an expert on churchgoing/religion, and scouts, but appear to only fraternize with a small handful of churchgoers, and are presumably not affiliated with the BSA in any capacity. 

You pretend that Venturing (bsa) and Sea scouting (bsa), Girl Scouts (non bsa) does not exist by failing to acknowledge them.  By doing so, you are diminishing the value of the girl scouts, and the Coed BSA programs.  You are part of the bias problem.  No amount of vacuous posturing will change this.

Beetle

Ken, you can't win.    Neither can the scouts.

Big J

I have no earthly idea what is going on in this thread.

I knew an eagle scout once.  He was on the wrestling team.  He had to wrestle a girl (I use the term very loosely) and she ended up pinning him, which caused our whole team to start laughing, which caused him to start crying out on the mat, which caused us to laugh harder.  He quit wrestling the next day.  Maybe the girls are meant to toughen up some of these boy scouts.

Aka

Quote from: Big J on October 17, 2017, 07:45:10 AM
I have no earthly idea what is going on in this thread.

I knew an eagle scout once.  He was on the wrestling team.  He had to wrestle a girl (I use the term very loosely) and she ended up pinning him, which caused our whole team to start laughing, which caused him to start crying out on the mat, which caused us to laugh harder.  He quit wrestling the next day.  Maybe the girls are meant to toughen up some of these boy scouts.

When I wrestled, and after, I could never understand why so many other wrestlers cried so much. The sport is chock full of guys that let the waterworks go at the drop of a hat.

Big J

Quote from: Aka on October 17, 2017, 08:25:19 AM

The sport world is chock full of guys that let the waterworks go at the drop of a hat.

Fixed.  This is a different issue.  Men in general cry too much these days.  I'm on the opposite end of spectrum and wife can attest to that.  She was pissed at me when I didn't cry when she walked down the aisle, daughter 1 and 2 born, etc.  Wish I was a little more in middle, but oh well, she knew who she was marrying.   

I will say my brother cried after every match he loss until he was in 10th grade, and then it was like every other match he loss he cried. 

Sports tend to bring out a lot of emotions.  Just look around.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login