News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SoHo on June 30th..

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 30, 2007, 19:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Packing up for the trip I looked at the Sage 5wt for a moment, but left her behind, I've got a new girlfriend now.

Drove up 77 to 81 and back down to TN, there has to be a better way (helicopter???)

Stopped in at [urlhttp://www.championoutfitters.com/]Champions[/url] new store on the Holsten, met Matt, picked up a couple of Comparadun Sulfurs. Nice to have a shop right on the river. Flies were $1.60, not bad for stream-side pricing. Store has a complete line of fly fishing gear, rods, reels, you name it....

Drove on down to Big Spring Road, parked at the high tension wires hoping to get to the last hole it that stretch, but there was a guide and two clients working it and the run up above had another set of guide and clients so I worked the flat water. I missed seven fish! Was it the rod? Was it the fly?? wtf? I switched to an orange bodied deer hair comparadun and finally after a while hooked into my first trout on my Orvis Bamboo rod... I immediately looked for some gravel to toss the rod, reel and trout onto for a photo op, but settled for this instead.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First rainbow on the orvis battenkill! Sweeeet!

I continued to have success with the fly and ended up with 7 or 8 bows.

Another SoHo rainbow.

Squeeze them just right and they'll talk!

I stopped for lunch and found Forrest from Hunter Banks having lunch with his clients who were from New England and were down in TN for a wedding, leaving the details to the women they had taken off to fish.

Back on the water I waded across to the far side looking for big browns up against the bank. I hurled a hopper at the bank and finally took a decent brown which came off the bank. Unfortunately he got away while I was fumbling with the camera. Thunderstorms drove me from the water and by the time it passed I had to move downstream to stay ahead of the 3:00 release... Down below rock hold the water was getting stained from the runoff but I rigged up hopping to get a fish or two. I nymphed a deep run and watched the strike indicator just stopped, I was sure that it was snagged on the bottom. I lifted the line up and tugged once, twice and a third time before moving up stream to try and dislodge it from the rocks below. I tugged again with the line firmly pinched against the rod and then the line moved and tugged back and zoomed across the slack water and into the current. Before I could let the line go the fish had broken off the PT flashback nymph from the 6x fluorocarbon tippet. I tried for a while in hopes of catching that fish or another like it but the rain returned and the water was getting muddy so I packed it in and headed home. I'm going to assume that that fish was over 20".

scene of the crime...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Nice way to break in the new boo!  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on June 30, 2007, 19:54:10 PM
Nice way to break in the new boo!  0--0

Well actually my daughter and I broke in the boo with the dace, but it was nice to catch some trout on it too!

I thought that the 7 1/2 rod might not be enough for the tailwaters, but it proved to be an effective weapon. I could pick up the like fairly well and shoot it back out 50' with pretty good accuracy. One problem I've encountered is a pretty wicked tailing loop while using the boo. And I really wished I had the 9' plastic for the nymphing.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mstash

Good day WB
I hope to get over there this week

You might have run into Hugh Hartswell. I believe he was there

Sulphers???????????

Mstash

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mstash on July 01, 2007, 08:37:56 AM
Good day WB
I hope to get over there this week

You might have run into Hugh Hartswell. I believe he was there

Sulphers???????????

Mstash

I'm going to try and go next week also.... would have stayed overnight, but I thought I had to take care of the dogs, came home to an empty house, wife took them with her....

Sulphers =  sulphurs or sulfurs  ;D

me -There's a season?

Mstash

o-o

Any Bugs?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mstash on July 01, 2007, 09:14:20 AM

o-o

Any Bugs?

Down on Big Spring Rd. there was a slow hatch, there were fish rising and I caught all of the bows sight casting to the rise with a #14 comparadun sulfur. Foster reported that there was a more prolific hatch in the mile below the grates. However there was also a prolific hatch on angles on that section too. Matt Champion said he's been doing late floats and reported decent sulfur hatches on the high water.
me -There's a season?

Mstash

Perfect

Thanks
May run into you over there
If I can get a kitchen pass for two day's I'll stay

Mstash

outdoorguy3

Hey, hey, i wanna go..........Oh that's right, I am! :P

Ralph   0--0

Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on July 01, 2007, 12:01:14 PM
Hey, hey, i wanna go..........Oh that's right, I am! :P

Ralph   0--0

You might get visitors at the campground......
me -There's a season?

peter p

"I immediately looked for some gravel to toss the rod, reel and trout onto for a photo op, but settled for this instead."

You have to be in Montana to accomplish this!

Nice report. 
Peter

southernguide

hey wooly, it was Forrest from hunter banks, nice to meet you, I 'm sure I will see you around

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: southernguide on July 03, 2007, 07:46:22 AM
hey wooly, it was Forrest from hunter banks, nice to meet you, I 'm sure I will see you around

Okay, thanks, I've corrected the post.... I wrote that up after I got home that evening...At first I though you were the group above me in the run, but then realized that you were in my hole at the bottom :( , early bird get the best spots. I was forced to work that flat water, and I know that there are a ton of fish in there, but i like the broken water better. Hope you had productive days with your clients.

I've only been to Hunter Banks on a couple of occasions on the way to the Smokies. I think it's a fine shop and have always found exactly what I've needed there!

me -There's a season?

flatlander

Good report.  Anybody heading that way for the 4th?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: flatlander on July 03, 2007, 10:46:37 AM
Good report.  Anybody heading that way for the 4th?

Ralph (ODG3) and I will be there with the throngs of locals....
me -There's a season?