Streamer and Nymph/Emerger
0 (0%)
Single Fly (tried it, didn't like it)
0 (0%)
Have not tried it
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

badankles

seems most folks like the dry and nymph dropper tandem, but have you tried other combinations? the article below discusses a few others that i'll have to try (e.g., a streamer dropped off a nymph).

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...em_combos.aspx

what's your favorite?
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

troutphisher

I usaully fish the fast waters, and don't think a double rig would work. But I have never tried a double rig? I might be missing out on something here?  ???
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Grumpy

Dry/nymph/midge got my vote.
I've witnessed folks fishing 2 nymphs & getting strkes on one, they tangle a lot, yet, they won't nip the fishless one off, for the life of me, i can't understand that one o-o

Grumpy

troutjedi

Stimulator on top, Hare's Ear on the bottom..............Old Reliable

phg

I won't double post, and my post count over here could use some help....

I do dry and dropper.  Like Disco, I tend to cast with big sloppy loops, so I rarely, if ever, get tangled.  When I first started using 2 flys, though, I would loose the dropper after a few casts.  I havn't consciously changed anything about my cast, but I have become more aware of the dropper, and rarely loose one anymore.

Like many others, I will start out with the dry and dropper just to see where the fish are and what they are taking.  Once a pattern is established, I may ditch one or the other.  The only real problem I have with the combo is that it is hard to adjust the depth of the dropper.  If I am fishing a riff or shallow pool where an 18" dropper is good, and then move to a deeper pool, I usually don't bother retying the dropper at a deeper setting.  That's a bit lazy on my part, and I'm sure it costs me some fish. 

On the other hand, when I have a strike indicator/nymph rig, I'm always resetting the depth from the strike indicator, depending on the stream conditions.

jamie

I am with Jedi on the stimulator/hares ear rig, but I also like the para Mr. Rapidan/PT combo and in the winter a double nymph rig gets used often if not exclusively.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

ditchmonkey

ive said it before, nothing beats a miss prissy with a dropper of my little yellow rasser, takes a fish almost every float sometimes
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.

Bluegiller

I voted 'Dry & nymph but as a Bluegill & Shellcracker fisherman what I mean is a size 6 or 8 popper & a 10 or 12 wet or nymph 12 to 24in. from the popper. I catch more Bream on the dropper than the popper. I have more success with a Black Gnat wetfly tied all white than other droppers. Ralph