News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Arrests in Pakistan

Started by flatlander, May 04, 2010, 12:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

I thought the failed Times Square bombing was going to be the work of some lone malcontent--probably a pissed off white guy that the media would link to the tea party movement.  Now it looks like they are arresting people in Pakistan in addition to the primary suspect they caught at Kennedy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/04/AR2010050400192.html?hpid=topnews

Is it me, or are Islamic terrorists just incredibly inept?  Maybe we just keep getting lucky (911 aside), but it seems like most of these attempts wind up being duds.  I don't know anything about explosives.  Is constructing and detonating a bomb as difficult as it appears?  The IRA seemed pretty good at it.

flip

Let us be thankful they are no smarter than the camels they ride

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: flip on May 04, 2010, 14:40:19 PM
Let us be thankful they are no smarter than the camels they ride hump

fixed
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: Flatlander on May 04, 2010, 12:22:35 PM
I thought the failed Times Square bombing was going to be the work of some lone malcontent--probably a pissed off white guy that the media would link to the tea party movement.  Now it looks like they are arresting people in Pakistan in addition to the primary suspect they caught at Kennedy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/04/AR2010050400192.html?hpid=topnews

Is it me, or are Islamic terrorists just incredibly inept?  Maybe we just keep getting lucky (911 aside), but it seems like most of these attempts wind up being duds.  I don't know anything about explosives.  Is constructing and detonating a bomb as difficult as it appears?  The IRA seemed pretty good at it.

I teach a class related to this stuff out on Ft Bragg/Pope AFB and in last nights session we discussed this incident. We have been very lucky up to this point. It has just been BS luck that the "underwear bomber" and now the "Times Square bomber" were not able to pull it off. Even without a successful detonation they have cost us millions of dollars and changes in the way we go about our daily lives.

I have said this before (and caught flack for it) - We are at war with Islam. We could pull out of Iraq & Afghanistan and give up our support of Israel - the only thing that would change would be that Israel would cease to exist. We (The "West") would still be at war with Islam. When we turned tail and got run out of South Vietnam the Communists were happy to just savor their victory. Our current conflict is different - they will not stop until we all either die or bow to Mecca. 

Unfortunately many of our elected leaders fail to see or more likely do not want to see this reality. We are not going to be able to negotiate or talk our way out of this one.

Trout Maharishi

Al has this one nailed. We have been lucky as hell. The idiot at Fort Hood could have made a much bigger mess as well. This bomb and the underwear bomber incident could have killed thousands. The way the present administration has treated Israel is ridiculous. We kiss nations asses like Iran and Saudi Arabia's and won't even have a meaningful dialog with the only real friend we have in the region. Our own president is pro Muslim because he is one. Between him and the rest of the clowns running the show our safety is far more compromised and in jeopardy than the average person realizes.  They are taking over Europe simply by population growth. WAKE UP THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL US AND WON'T STOP UNTIL WE ARE DEAD OR KNEELING ON A RUG WITH THEM!

Almost forgot, this guy was already on a watch list. Who the hell was watching him? He was also "screened" upon his last return from Pakistan. How in the hell does someone like him end up making a bomb and for all practical purposes detonating it? Or security that this president has appointed might be better suited to working security at WalMart.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

You know I agree with you both- but I will take exception to the notion that we are at war with Islam.  This simply isn't true.  We are at war with extremists who just happen to be Muslims.  There are millions upon millions of Muslims who disagree with the extremists.   Many emigrated here to the US and other countries to get away from these terrorists.   Muslim extremists want us to say that we really are at war with Islam so they can push their cause.  We don't need to pour gas on their fire.

Al

Quote from: Beetle on May 05, 2010, 09:21:19 AM
You know I agree with you both- but I will take exception to the notion that we are at war with Islam.  This simply isn't true.  We are at war with extremists who just happen to be Muslims.  There are millions upon millions of Muslims who disagree with the extremists.   Many emigrated here to the US and other countries to get away from these terrorists.   Muslim extremists want us to say that we really are at war with Islam so they can push their cause.  We don't need to pour gas on their fire.

When I see those "millions upon millions of Muslims who disagree with the extremists" stand up and denounce their fellow mulsims and actively involve themselves with helping us fight them then I will stop saying we are at war with Islam. Sure, we have a few that speak out but very few     - as far as nation states helping us, they are happy to take our money but they are secretly and often not so secretly saying "atta-boy" to the so called extremists.

Trout Maharishi

Beetle you may be right, but I have a hard time agreeing with that. Yes there may be a few muslims who disagree with the agenda of the radical segment, but where are they? Why don't I hear anything from them, why are they silent? I believe that just like the radical segment their beliefs are that you are either Muslim, or you are an infidel and must obey or be killed.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

bugman

Al, I will admit I know very little about worldly affairs.  But how can we be at war with an entire religion?  Or could we be at war with certain Islamic factions? I don't have a clue; I am just asking.

As for the so-called non-violent Muslims remaining silent, perhaps they are very similar to the non-violent Christians.  I also fail to keep abreast of most of the violence of so-called extreme Christian factions.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall too many outcries from the "sane" peaceful Christians when one of these wingnut Christian entities goes off the deep end. 

On another front, because I am well past the big 50, I must ask, is it wisdom or paranoia that comes with age?

Al

Quote from: bugman on May 05, 2010, 10:06:56 AM
Al, I will admit I know very little about worldly affairs.  But how can we be at war with an entire religion?  Or could we be at war with certain Islamic factions? I don't have a clue; I am just asking.

As for the so-called non-violent Muslims remaining silent, perhaps they are very similar to the non-violent Christians.  I also fail to keep abreast of most of the violence of so-called extreme Christian factions.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall too many outcries from the "sane" peaceful Christians when one of these wingnut Christian entities goes off the deep end. 

On another front, because I am well past the big 50, I must ask, is it wisdom or paranoia that comes with age?

You are most likely right when you say we are at war with certain faction of Islam - but the silence of the others makes you wonder.

We certainly denounced Timothy McVeigh and what he did. We also applaud when the FBI take down some of these so called militia groups. I just wish the media would give as much attention to Islamic training camps right here in the United States as they do "right wing nut" groups.

Age related wisdom or paranoia - maybe a little of both. I like to think of it as being based on experience and years of watching history unfold.

Gotta go - I need to check on the expiration date of my Y2K food and meet with the contractor who is building the bomb shelter in my backyard ;D

flynhokies

Quote from: bugman on May 05, 2010, 10:06:56 AM
Al, I will admit I know very little about worldly affairs.  But how can we be at war with an entire religion?

uh, crusades?
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

bugman

I'm a little fuzzy on my history, but the crusades were expeditions to deliver the Holy places from the prophet of Islam as part of some fulfillment of a promise made to God, correct?  And I may be mistaken but I think the other side was ultimately declared the victor. 

Flynhokies, when they discover that the holy angling places are occupied by some religious group, you can sign me up for the crusade.  We probably know each other and I am darned easy to find.  Keep me posted.

Beetle

Al- I think the "silence of others" is just not newsworthy or interesting to the American media.   But to clarify my earlier comments, I believe that most Muslims don't disagree with the ends- just the means. 

http://www.freemuslims.org/issues/terrorism.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/30/opinion/islam-and-the-opposition-to-terrorism.html
(note the date 9/30/01)

flynhokies

Quote from: bugman on May 05, 2010, 15:40:24 PM

Flynhokies, when they discover that the holy angling places are occupied by some religious group, you can sign me up for the crusade.  We probably know each other and I am darned easy to find.  Keep me posted.

deal...i'm in
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

Al

Quote from: Beetle on May 05, 2010, 16:23:04 PM
Al- I think the "silence of others" is just not newsworthy or interesting to the American media.   But to clarify my earlier comments, I believe that most Muslims don't disagree with the ends- just the means. 

http://www.freemuslims.org/issues/terrorism.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/30/opinion/islam-and-the-opposition-to-terrorism.html
(note the date 9/30/01)

Here's part of the problem - I copied this from one of the links you provided..............

"So far, the few Muslims who choose to speak up against militant extremist Islam have faced threats of violence and accusations of being anti-Islam. Even members of this Coalition face threats as they carry out their work. In effect, the message disseminated by radical Muslims is that merely discussing Islamic terrorism is to be construed as an attack on Islam."

We could debate this until the cows come home - it is a mess and is not getting any better. It is only a matter of time before we have another attempt - Our luck with inept terrorists can only last so long.