News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

few options

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 13, 2010, 19:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Not too many places close by where I feel comfortable taking to dog on the river. Left around noon and hit the Smith. Short hike in to the river

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sally cooing of after the hike.

Walked in just above another angler. It looked like he was throwing streamers, I didn't see him hook up but he did take a tumble. I was just looking for bugs and rising fish. No hurry because I really didn't want to nymph. Finally I spied a few bwos coming off and a fish or two that were rising to them occasionally. Tried a few patterns without much luck, I a moment of desperation I tossed out Ben's Beetle and took a fish on its first drift.

Moved on down to a favorite spot, there were midges and bows and perhaps an occasional sulfur popping off with fish rising everywhere. I looked like there were taking the bows off the surface, but my patterns didn't attract them. I tried 6 for 7 different patters. I missed a couple that went after the my smallest fly. But I couldn't get a solid hook up. I was thinking that my flies were a little too big as the naturals appeared to be 22s if not 24s. As a last resort I tied on  a #22 greased lightening and began to pick off the trout one by one.

Only had the cell phone with me so not great pics this time. Just enjoyed the afternoon with the dog on the river.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Get Bent

Can't beat a day with the dog.   -0-
Konichiwa Bitches!

5xTippett

Woolly,  I fished it for a couple of hours this afternoon and caught some on midges.  I left when I couldn't feel my feet.  The only bugs I saw were midges.  Teeny weeny midges!  I am gonna miss the summer.  I am glad the beetle worked.  I haven't messed with it since the middle of October.

diaz dassie

Good stuff there Woowee. The hounds sure do enjoy getting out. Using beetles this late in the year? :o I dunno how trout resist them anyhow 'c;

rjs123

Looks like a good way to reduce the small trout population. Feed them to the dog :)

Now I dont feel so bad.  Thought it was just me. Ive only been getting a couple when Ive been out lately. Pretty darn slow except for the day they stocked the rainbows near the dam.

Fished with Darrin today for about 3 hours. I only got one 10 inch brown on a #16 Allie worm and he missed a couple.  Darrin did almost step on a 20 plus inch brown that he said was bright red!  You know where we were :)

Woolly Bugger

Back at it on Sunday, had a few hours to get away, took the dog, she's learning the drill.

I don't know why she likes to lie down in that frigid Smith River water.

Typical brown on a dry. The hatch wasn't quite as prolific as the other day, and stopped and started many times during the afternoon. Mostly micro bwos ans midges 24 and smaller.

Sally sat on the gravel bar and kept my back, she started barking when another fisherman tried to low hole me.. good dog!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trouthemp

were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl....year after year........