Rain Gear Repair

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 05, 2023, 11:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 05, 2023, 11:44:02 AMI have an LL Bean Goretex paclite rain jacket, its about 12 years old best guess. The other day on the Smith it "wetted out" and didn't breathe properly, therefore the inside became wet. It was still better than not wearing it though. It was time to wash it and reactivate the DWR (durable water resistance) coating of the fabric. This is done by either low heat in the dryer or ironing. I stuck it in the dryer and while the coating appeared to be renewed, it also melted off some of the seam tape. Crap! I think I have some wader repair tape, not sure if its heat activated or needs to be applied with aquaseal.

Gave the recoated jacket a test yesterday / 4 hours in a light drizzle / enough to have the hood on but didn't need to zip up the front.

Water beaded up pretty well on the sleeves, hood and front where I could see ... after a while I noticed some areas weren't looking so good and had started to wet out!

I may give it the wash in treatment or buy a new jacket

Saw a torrent pataguchi for $88 — it's a two tone model but what the heck! @greg how do you like your jacket so far?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

If you are asking me, the recoated jacket is working well with no "wetted out" spots noted.  That being said, on a trip to DC a week ago, forgot my coat when I knew it was going to rain/snow!!  b';  Friends we stayed with live in Georgetown where there is a Patagonia store (who knew of such a thing?).  Bought a new one on sale for $100.  This was last year's model which I like better.  Current year model has flashy waterproof zipper that stands proud and loud.  I'm sure it works well, but I am not a fan of the look.  I just prefer a more traditional look.

My sale model sheds the crap out of water/snow.  Goes to show that the wash-in recoat, as good and cheap as it is, still doesn't bring it back all the way.  I wonder if they use any pressure when applying the original coat?  Sure is stiff and I assume that is because it really is in there!

Anyway, now can use my old coat for fishing, if I ever get back out there!

That's my report.

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

troutboy_II

PS - Just checked the Pataguci website and they have the old style Torrentshell (like I just bought) for $106 with free shipping if you wink at them.  Pretty good deal even if you weren't stranded in a snowstorm.

My .02>

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

greg

I bought a torrent from Patagonia last year before a backpacking trip to glacier national park. First day I had to use it it rained all day non stop. Jacket worked great   I had borrowed a pair of marmot rain paints from my son. They were several years old and h e had only used them a few times. They wetted out after an hour or so. Granted I was walking through brushy wet trails a lot of the time. As a soon as I got home I washed and retreated both coat and pants. Hope it helps the coat last longer. Only issue with the torrent for me is no Chest pocket. I use my phone for map. Pocket that he'd phone hit under hip belt on backpack. That was a pain. Other than that great coat.

greg

I got a new ll bean goretex coat in 2019 before a trip to boundary waters. I have washed and retreated it  few times.  It wets out fairly easy but does keep me dry for the most part.

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 25, 2024, 17:08:35 PMWaxed Cotton!!!

https://www.txfowlers.com/products/avery-heritage-collection-wading-jacket-a1010004

This product definitely appears to be easier on the environment since it appears to be largely biodegradable. Seems like a wise choice.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 25, 2024, 14:37:54 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 05, 2023, 11:44:02 AMI have an LL Bean Goretex paclite rain jacket, its about 12 years old best guess. The other day on the Smith it "wetted out" and didn't breathe properly, therefore the inside became wet. It was still better than not wearing it though. It was time to wash it and reactivate the DWR (durable water resistance) coating of the fabric. This is done by either low heat in the dryer or ironing. I stuck it in the dryer and while the coating appeared to be renewed, it also melted off some of the seam tape. Crap! I think I have some wader repair tape, not sure if its heat activated or needs to be applied with aquaseal.

Gave the recoated jacket a test yesterday / 4 hours in a light drizzle / enough to have the hood on but didn't need to zip up the front.

Water beaded up pretty well on the sleeves, hood and front where I could see ... after a while I noticed some areas weren't looking so good and had started to wet out!

I may give it the wash in treatment or buy a new jacket

Saw a torrent pataguchi for $88 — it's a two tone model but what the heck! @greg how do you like your jacket so far?

Are there any more available for $88?
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2024, 10:00:12 AMAre there any more available for $88?

I didn't order, because there is a $90 minimum for free shipping. It was $10 to ship...

I'll post a link shortly

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-torrentshell-3l-rain-jacket/85241.html?dwvar_85241_color=OBPL
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Quote from: greg on January 27, 2024, 07:19:52 AMOnly issue with the torrent for me is no Chest pocket. I use my phone for map. Pocket that he'd phone hit under hip belt on backpack. That was a pain. Other than that great coat.

I agree about the lack of inside chest pocket. For me, that's the sunglasses storage spot. Interesting thing I spotted in the new model coat - they recommended washing regularly. I think that is key to avoiding the wetting out problem, perhaps more than recoating. Nothing scientific in this conclusion, just based on experience.

But, then they will move production to another country and the new jackets won't fit right and waterproofing will suck. Sigh....   n!n

TB

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 27, 2024, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 25, 2024, 17:08:35 PMWaxed Cotton!!!

https://www.txfowlers.com/products/avery-heritage-collection-wading-jacket-a1010004

This product definitely appears to be easier on the environment since it appears to be largely biodegradable. Seems like a wise choice.

Yes, a wise choice for some.

I fully understand the waxed cotton garments are a bit "heavy" and damned hard to pack, but I like the smell with no, or little, synthetics.  They tend to take on the scent of the owner (somewhere between the odor of a canvas tent and an aging male).  The truth is that my waxed cotton may smell because I've never washed them. 

I own several Barbour and Filson waxed jackets, all of some age.  Somewhere in storage is a Barbour wading jacket that I used for years; stored because it no longer fits.

I have this one, recently used at VT's Military Bowl back in December in Annapolis during a driving rain.  It held up very well, but after an hour or so I smelled like a wet dog wrapped in canvas.  No longer made from what I can tell from the Ebay listing.  Damn, at a grand!  Can't show the wife or she'll be selling it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116036714799?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1JJGMJdU2SbyvOHIVVlx5Dw49&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=116036714799&targetid=4580771614098650&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247547&mkgroupid=1234752552191001&rlsatarget=pla-4580771614098650&abcId=9316119&merchantid=51291&msclkid=c138d493dcd114475d3ab125715be70c
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

driver

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 28, 2024, 15:01:05 PM
Quote from: Onslow on January 27, 2024, 09:58:46 AM

Yes, a wise choice for some.

I fully understand the waxed cotton garments are a bit "heavy" and damned hard to pack, but I like the smell with no, or little, synthetics.  They tend to take on the scent of the owner (somewhere between the odor of a canvas tent and an aging male).  The truth is that my waxed cotton may smell because I've never washed them. 

I own several Barbour and Filson waxed jackets, all of some age.  Somewhere in storage is a Barbour wading jacket that I used for years; stored because it no longer fits.

I have this one, recently used at VT's Military Bowl back in December in Annapolis during a driving rain.  It held up very well, but after an hour or so I smelled like a wet dog wrapped in canvas.  No longer made from what I can tell from the Ebay listing.  Damn, at a grand!  Can't show the wife or she'll be selling it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116036714799?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1JJGMJdU2SbyvOHIVVlx5Dw49&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=116036714799&targetid=4580771614098650&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247547&mkgroupid=1234752552191001&rlsatarget=pla-4580771614098650&abcId=9316119&merchantid=51291&msclkid=c138d493dcd114475d3ab125715be70c

My bird hunting jacket was made in the 60's American Field by Ketrick. I picked it up at an estate sale many years ago. I have walked through miles of briars and it is still holding on strong. It could used a fresh coat of wax.

greg

Quote from: troutboy_II on January 28, 2024, 09:24:49 AM
Quote from: greg on January 27, 2024, 07:19:52 AMOnly issue with the torrent for me is no Chest pocket. I use my phone for map. Pocket that he'd phone hit under hip belt on backpack. That was a pain. Other than that great coat.

I agree about the lack of inside chest pocket. For me, that's the sunglasses storage spot. Interesting thing I spotted in the new model coat - they recommended washing regularly. I think that is key to avoiding the wetting out problem, perhaps more than recoating. Nothing scientific in this conclusion, just based on experience.

But, then they will move production to another country and the new jackets won't fit right and waterproofing will suck. Sigh....   n!n

TB
I noticed the same label about washing more.