News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

5xTippett

I talked to a couple of people about just having a thread for the Smith.  I decided I was going to post mine on just one anyway.  So here goes.  I went back yesterday on 5 hours sleep due to one of my twin daughters calling me at 1:30 in the morning to inform me they ran into a girl from my home town they went to high school with, in a bar in Atlanta.  That's nice, but I do believe that news could have held on until 10 or 11 the next morning.  I got up bleary eyed and headed North.  On the way I called that knot headed daughter and woke her up! -0-   I arrived at the spot I was going to fish around 2 or so.  There was an elderly gentleman in the parking lot rigging up.  He was a nice guy and we talked for awhile.  I decided I was going to let him have that spot and head on upstream.  I went to a place I haven't fished in 2 years.  It took me a little while to get wired in, but once I found the fish I started catching some.  I ended up with 7 fish out of that spot, 1 rainbow and 6 browns.  Only 2 of the browns were under the slot.  I would have stayed there and fished for awhile, but I saw a man coming from upstream headed my way, so I headed back to the car.  I went back to where I started and the elderly gentleman had left.  I walked upstream and hit the river.  After a few minutes I remembered why I had not been back to that place in several years.  I hate that water.  I remembered where I had caught a decent fish the last time I had fished it several years ago, and eased down to where the spot was and cast under the limb and snatched one about 11 inches out.  As soon as I got him in, I cut my losses and headed back to the car.  I went on downstream and caught 2 more decent browns well into the slot.  I have been fishing some new flies I have been messing with  and they weed out the smaller fish.  I have enjoyed the last few trips big time.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dougfish

Quote from: 5xTippett on June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM
... I got up bleary eyed and headed North.  On the way I called that knot headed daughter and woke her up! -0-   ...

And a happy Father's Day to ya!  b';
I know the last of mine will chime in after I pass out on the sofa later. Jeesh.

Good going Ben! I am all for continuing this thread with all Smiff TR's.

consumnfire1229

Those Smith River brownies are no match for you man.  Nice work!   'c;
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

bmeador

I was able to fish Sat. morning.  Water was gin-clear and 52 degrees at first light.  I had a terrible time w/my hook set and was too slow on the strike!  Was fishing a nymph.  Finally got my act together and started connecting.  Landed 4 browns 7 - 12 inches, nothing spectacular.  Typical Smith brownies.  I did land what I think is the smallest 'bow I've ever seen in the river.  It might've been 6 inches!

[attach=1]

Had to quit at 11 and head back home (2 1/2 hrs.) but I had a good day on the stream.  Gas was $2.989 out in Bassett Forks!

5xTippett

Sandy, I've caught just a couple of little rainbows like that, but not many.  Scott told me they shock a couple every year.  Most of them come from upstream.

tomato can

Anybody going to the smith on Saturday?  I am simultaneously trying to get permission from The One Who Must Be Obeyed and talk Big J into catching some Browns.  Let me know if anybody wants to go a fishing.

Big J

Quote from: tomato can on June 20, 2012, 07:02:21 AM
Anybody going to the smith on Saturday?  I am simultaneously trying to get permission from The One Who Must Be Obeyed and talk Big J into catching some Browns.  Let me know if anybody wants to go a fishing.

What can I say, I'm addicted to the small waters  ;D

gamatt53

I may be floating somewhere saturday but if that falls though i'll be on the smiff.

Dougfish

Quote from: tomato can on June 20, 2012, 07:02:21 AM
Well crap, where were you last Sat.? Chores in WV this weekend.  b'; Sorry.

5xTippett

Family reunion in Aiken, SC for me.   Who ever goes wear 'em out!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Good luck gentlemen.  I am off the Smith grid for a few weeks, organizing for annual trip to Wyoming. 

Be sure to keep a few of those 8-9 inchers.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

consumnfire1229

Man I'd be down for Sunday afternoon
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

5xTippett

"Be sure to keep a few of those 8-9 inchers."  Stephen,  that is from the library on upstream.  From the library on down it is supposed to be in better balance.  I am only keeping the little ones downstream of the library, if they are bleeding like stuck pigs.

jwgnc

That water sure is clear - how'd yah fool em
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

5xTippett

Jay, I use 12 ft leaders with 3 feet of fluorocarbon tippitt.  I fish flat water.  I walk through water most people fish and I fish water most people walk through.  Other people use different lengths and sizes according to how they fish and what they fish with.  I don't do false casts either.   That river has taught me to never get cocky after a good day.  It will come back and hurt your feelings.  Man, it sure is pretty though.