News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCB3, mobcrack, creakycane and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

Quote from: rford on August 18, 2013, 14:58:56 PM
Has anyone heard or know about a possible draw down of Philpott Lake in the next month or so?  I have heard that they have a leak in the dam that means generating until they lower the lake by 60 feet.  That will mean a good deal of 24/7 generating.

Heard nothing Roy. Will keep my ear to the ground.

Dougfish

Per the Philpott Operations Manager, there is work scheduled (as always), but no drawdown is scheduled. Rumor squashed.

Woolly Bugger

I thought about getting some fishing done on Sunday afternoon, so I headed up to the Smith.

I should have gone to a pool party, but no, I headed up to VA only to find the lower river high, and the old special regs section muddy. I hit the section above town creek, no risers, nymphed with a zebra and a soft hackle to no avail, I should have stayed home and expressed the dogs anal glans! The only saving grace was the cold beer stashed in the cooler!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

no fish were harmed making this report.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

I headed up there Saturday and fished for a couple of hours in the rain.  I caught a grand total of 5 fish before surrendering.  I went to Poppa's and ate some pizza.  I got up the next morning and headed way upstream.  It was still cold but the water was getting clearer.  I caught a grand total of 2 in the first 2 hours.  I got back n the car and went about a mile downstream.  Lo and behold nobody was in that spot.  I went downstream hopped in the river and started fishing.  It had warmed up some and no rain was to be found.  I started catching fish immediately.  The first 3 were all under 10 inches.  Then I started catching them in the slot.  They were barely in the slot, but what the heck.  I then got back in the car and headed down to a hole I normally save for the fall, but with the river muddy below Town's Creek I didn't have much choice.  I parked and walked downstream to where I normally hit the river and saw some sucker on the other side of the river fishing upstream.  I don't know where the heck he came from but he told me he was going to fish on upstream.  No choice for me, but to keep walking.  I walked  downstream to where I could get in the river and fish a stretch I hadn't fished in years.  I won't wait that long the next.  The first spot was dead, but the next pool had 10 and 11 inch fish stacked up against the bank and I had a ball for the next hour or so.  The water was fairly shallow and they nowhere to go but up.  They were jumping like 10 and 11 inch salmon.  They have changed photobucket on me and I haven't had the time or the inclination to figure out how to resize them.  Here are a few pictures if it works.

Dougfish

WB, tough luck brother. We were Smiffing Sat. until a little voice told us to go to a higher stream. It spoke the truth.

5x, persistence pays off.  'c; Glad to see a Smith reportage from you. I thought you got mad and went away. :laugh:
And, congrats and thank you at the same time on your winning ticket a week+ ago.  bd;0

5xTippett

Doug, I've barely fished this summer.  My twins moved home from Atlanta in May and are now working here, so I had to get them situated.  Also, my 84 year old mother had back surgery in June.   My wife and I have been keeping an eye on her while she is in rehab getting her strength back. It seems like every time I could get away they were generating. It is just getting to the time of year I like to fish up there anyway. -0-

Dougfish

Quote from: 5xTippett on August 20, 2013, 19:55:46 PM
...... It is just getting to the time of year I like to fish up there anyway. -0-

I thought I saw some "green" in one of those pics.  ::)

Sorry about your Mom. I am heading down that road soon myself. Not fun.

Big J

Quote from: 5xTippett on August 20, 2013, 19:55:46 PM
My twins moved home from Atlanta in May and are now working here, so I had to get them situated. 

Nice report 5x.  Your twins didn't like Atlanta?  I told you my thoughts on Atlanta haha

5xTippett

They enjoyed Atlanta for 6 or 7 months and then they got tired of the traffic.  Forty five minutes to get to work if you left at a certain time, and an hour if you left fifteen minutes later.  It is nice to have then back in town.

Woolly Bugger

Ben, that water nowhere resembles what I saw on Sunday... to me it looked like Yahoo....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fin

Woolly, I hit the river above Towne Sunday evening as well.  Not gin clear as it normally would be but not Yoohoo either.  Conditions looked perfect, and I did catch fish, but not quite the evening I had anticipated.  Lots of dinks even by Smith River standards. 

5xTippett

Keith, it was clear by about 1:30 which is about the time I started catching fish.  I ended up about a mile above you when I quit fishing at around 5:30.  They started eating when it started warming up.

consumnfire1229

Nice reports!  Fishing the Smith has been unpredictable with rain every 15 minutes for the past 3 months, not to mention cold fronts.
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

After a spring and summer of wearing out the Smith (when fishable  b';), I went down this AM for some mental health time and more slaying.
Nay nay, cocky bastard!
I get to the Mirror Plant and some numb nuts had parked right in the middle of the entrance. A huge grass lot and he stops right off the road? There's your sign. I suit up and walk down through the hayfield wondering where nummsie put in. The river was mucho cloudy. WTF! 0.13 " of rain in the last 60 hours and Townes Ck. is running Yoo-hoo. I assume the parking impaired walked down the tracks 'cause the spider webs are all intact. I string up and ease out to the middle to let the river creatures calm down. While tying on my flies I notice the guy about 100 yards downstream. Fishing downstream. He plows through a hundred yards of river and starts back up. I chuckle, then stop. I can't buy a fish. Maybe he's got the right idea.  :o   I missed a couple. Made numerous fly changes, dropper changes. Throw on a big ass foam hopper and four fish slash at it. No strikes, just violet slashes. "Get that shit out of here!" slashes. I caught a few on three different droppers. The really dumb ones, obviously. I ended up chucking a  bugger through the last hole to see if I could get an attack or two. Not easy with the 4 wt. and unsuccessful, too. Fudge it. Home beckoned. Back to the truck and on the road by noon. Four vehicles in the lot, nummsie in the entrance. Two VA plates, two NC and one MD. Poor saps.

Sigh. Very few fish were hurt in the making of this TR. I ended up with one guy above me and two below when I took out. Not a lot was going on, fish wise.
Happy Labor Day from your Smith River finicky fishes!

5xTippett

Went back this weekend to have at it again.  It was more or less a replay of the last time minus the rain with a few more fish caught.  I tried an experiment Saturday afternoon.  I parked in Bassett and walked way downstream to the next bridge and fished back to the car.  Two hours later I had 4 fish and was thoroughly disgusted.  I won't be back there.  I hopped in the car and headed downstream to another spot where I normally end up.  I managed 6 fish in an hour.  One was pushing 14 inches which was the highlight of a somewhat disappointing day.  I spent the night and hit the river the next morning.  The first spot started slow but it picked up somewhat.  I went back to the car, got something to eat and headed back to the river.  The next spot I went to was a replay of the last time I fished there except I caught more fish and had even more fun.  The fish were up against both banks.  I stood in the middle and caught fish everywhere.