News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Work didn't work out

Started by Onslow, April 28, 2016, 20:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

One of the GCs  I sub work from lost a superintendent.  Their schedules went to shit which meant some unplanned fishing time today.

Headed up to a stream I've flirted with once, and planned to make a determined effort to cover some ground today.  There is an accessible portion of water below a 50' ledge complex/falls.  The area above that has been on my mind for a while.  Today I was prepared to climb around the falls and get a gander.  Caught several punes on the way up to the falls.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

After some huffing and puffing, I'm in!

Wasn't in the mood to inch up to the lip...poor view from the top.

I wish this rock could tell its story.

This creek appears to be rather smallish, but is comparable to lower Bullhead or Basin.  More brush beating around this 12' ledge.

The first hour was rather productive.  Second hour, things went dead.  Halfway into hour 3, a flurry of caddis activity appeared to stimulate the fish.  Much quality water yielded nothing, but believe some nice fish are here.

Called it quits here.  This place was rough as pig iron.  Clouds were billowing, and I had no interest in getting caught up here in a toad strangler. 

The return back kinda sucked.

Yikes!

After a break at the truck, preparations were made for a brief hit on another stream.  A quick drive, some brush beating...had an hour before needing to bug out to meet a client.  No sooner had I started the heavens opened up and let loose.  Made some adjustments, and hot damn, the fishing was on!  Landed about 4 and lost several, one was about 15", but the biggun didn't get a way.

5 minutes from my planned departure time, close proximity cloud to ground lightening ripped through the quite air.  There was one pool I really wanted to hit, but 7 of my nine lives have been used up already. 

I have first hand experience feeling the juice in the water.  Me and a bud were float tubing down the Tar river.  As the trip neared its conclusion, a very violent thunderstorm approached from our rear while pretending not to notice the lightening.  One bolt jumped ahead of the storm a bit and apparently hit the water probably a mile upstream.  Both Steve and I both were jolted.  I had no idea current could travel so far in the water!

Dougfish

Got damn, said the preacher man!  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

That stretch you covered above the falls is some seriously rough shit. Props given, and I'm glad you were able to finally tackle the mystery. I would like to know when the last time someone actually went where you went in that mess.

That brown is one handsome fish. Diggin' that shit.

I've been caught on the river while wading a mile or more from the truck in a hardcore lightning storm. Ain't no fun. A dude and myself were driving through a storm a few years back when a wicked-ass bolt flashed in our faces. The radio turned off in my truck, then it disconnected the phone call I was engaged in and reset the clock on my cell. Spooky.

Onslow

Jason, there is a very faint trail around the big falls and an even fainter one around the 12' ledge.  I don't think anyone has been above the 12' ledge except for land surveyors in the last 5 years.

Yallerhammer

Now that's a good day at work! Good looking water, and a helluva nice brown!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

Dang Ken, gettin work done. Nice brown.

Jfey

Impressive and well deserved!
Yup, going fishing

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on April 29, 2016, 04:40:52 AM
Jason, there is a very faint trail around the big falls and an even fainter one around the 12' ledge.  I don't think anyone has been above the 12' ledge except for land surveyors in the last 5 years.

Yea, I mean who in their right mind would want to attempt such a thing.....

ptfranze

Pretty good reward for all that work you put in.  Well done  'c;  Your TR make me tired just reading about them

Woolly Bugger

I needed a beer after reading that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

joe friday

"I have first hand experience feeling the juice in the water.  Me and a bud were float tubing down the Tar river.  As the trip neared its conclusion, a very violent thunderstorm approached from our rear while pretending not to notice the lightening.  One bolt jumped ahead of the storm a bit and apparently hit the water probably a mile upstream.  Both Steve and I both were jolted.  I had no idea current could travel so far in the water!"

I cross the Tar River several times a day here in Greenville....would much rather be in the mountains.  those were some sweet fish, there.

tight lines.

driver

Quote from: joefriday on April 29, 2016, 14:53:07 PM

I cross the Tar River several times a day here in Greenville....would much rather be in the mountains.  those were some sweet fish, there.

tight lines.

There's is plenty of good fishing down there. Plus its close to the salty action.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk