News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennario, Woolly Bugger and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

AAGoldsmith

Quote from: Dee-Vo on August 17, 2016, 08:59:41 AM
Muddy does bugs.

I hope he at least uses bug-friendly lube.

Entomology presentations are boring too
If only I knew what I was getting into

Al

Simmer down boys - I just hope someone asks them about their working relationship with VDGIF and Smith River TU.

I have told both individuals before and it applies here as well - "We are or should be in this together. Together we can accomplish a lot, separately not so much"

Big J

Quote from: Al on August 17, 2016, 09:16:31 AM
Simmer down boys - I just hope someone asks them about their working relationship with VDGIF and Smith River TU.

I have told both individuals before and it applies here as well - "We are or should be in this together. Together we can accomplish a lot, separately not so much"

According to Brian, it is great.  He is a Smith River TU member he says.  And VDGIF was in on the meeting about the weekend release.

Dougfish

The only sure thing about all of this is that if Brian's lips are moving, he's lying.
Those are only two of countless ones he's spouted.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutfanatic

I've spoken to a couple people and I'm texting with others. A plan may be in the works. I am not a TFF member anymore. I relocated to PA last year.
However, if the speaker remains Williams, perhaps a few of our PHWFF members from the local chapter will be willing to drive up to the meeting and thank him for making the river so easily wadable for older fishermen and disabled folks. I'll know tomorrow evening as we have our meeting.

Onslow

Quote from: troutfanatic on August 17, 2016, 10:00:02 AM
I've spoken to a couple people and I'm texting with others. A plan may be in the works. I am not a TFF member anymore. I relocated to PA last year.
However, if the speaker remains Williams, perhaps a few of our PHWFF members from the local chapter will be willing to drive up to the meeting and thank him for making the river so easily wadable for older fishermen and disabled folks. I'll know tomorrow evening as we have our meeting.

At a minimum, perhaps desirable flows could be scored at the behest of the PHWFF during Veterans Day and Memorial Day.  Of course Brain would take.credit for such a thoughtful move.

While on the subject of handicap accessable water,  WTL is developed for those who are mobility challenged at the hatchery section.

troutfanatic

It's a novel idea (for him) but some political types were contacted this spring. If that achieves anything, I'm sure the elected will take credit.

Keep dropping the 94.00 comment. I am but one nonresident who has not bought a license this year. I did pay 16.00 to fish the two times I went this year.

The money saved, paid for licenses in two other states.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: AAGoldsmith on August 17, 2016, 09:05:08 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on August 17, 2016, 08:59:41 AM
Muddy does bugs.

I hope he at least uses bug-friendly lube.

Entomology presentations are boring too

My bug talks were not boring --- well maybe they were, but I am no longer in the game.  I've presented my last critter talk. 

Now I am on the fried chicken tour giving speeches on "why men should never wear skinny jeans" and "a woman as president equals fewer wars."
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

swervinmervin

Back to the regularly scheduled programming . . .

Made it out yesterday morning, as I parted ways with the job place ten days ago. Unemployment certainly suits my fishing schedule. This was my first time on the Smith- I wanted to see if it lives up to the hype.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Should really spend more time in Floyd.

Fish were plentiful and mostly punes.

Last fish was the best fish. Almost everything was on dries, though I had a big hit on a streamer at one point.

Got out of there as it heated up around lunchtime. Beautiful day on the water. Back home to the wife, dog, and new baby.

Dougfish

That's getting it done.  y;

Between jobs, or just say fuck it, I'll live off Doug, Mud, Woolly and the boys?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

Good job Mervin - How was the water flow?  Seems like you found it wadeable.

swervinmervin

Between jobs. Last boss and I couldn't come to an agreement on terms, paying my previous contract, etc. Frustrating, but a guy has to eat. In the meantime, lots of fishing and baby time.

Flows were quite reasonable, I thought. Gauges were st 300 cfs.

Woolly Bugger

Holler next time you are planning to go , love / hate that water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

I was sitting at the bar with my third gimlet in hand listening to what I can only assume was some kind of tinder date. They were both spouting off their resume of education, jobs and goals.  Then they started talking about how people don't notice change or ask why things were the way they are. I could talk about change, they were both too young to have observed any real change. They both grew up with the Internet. I remember when the main drag in town ended to a two lane flanked with farms where we would drive down the dirt roads and smoke dope, drink and screw while listening to 8-track tapes of Jefferson Starship and Led Zepplin. They know this area as Hanes Mall, the shopping mecca of Forsyth County. I was drinking while I was waiting for a friend to arrive home from an overnight visit to the hospital because of a stress induced cardiac event. A couple day prior, I had unrelenting neck and chest pains and after consulting WebMD, I checked myself into that very same ER. EKG, enzyme and other blood test ruled out anything serious and they chalked it up to a musculoskeletal issue. I had to cough up a $500 obamacare copay for that shit. But at least I know the ole ticker is keeping time and no nasty clots are threatening to lodge in my lungs or brain. These kids were really starting to get on my nerves as they drank iced coffee as if they needed any caffeine in the first place. A couple of shots of tequila might have served them better. The women was especially brilliant in her "we are all slaves to capitalism", as this was an original thought. On and on they went, even touching on white privilege, I had enough and as I left I assign them a history lesson, to watch
on YouTube, just for some perspective. 

But this is a trip report, I was on a roll the first half of the year, hoping to hit over 100 days this year, but as you may or may not have noticed, things have slowed down dramatically the last couple of weeks since dad broke his elbow and I've been staying close to home. He's improving and getting around the house about as good as can be expected, so I slipped out of town for a couple of hours. Added some beer and ice to the cooler and made the drive up the road to the closest trout waters. Hell, I might even cook up a couple of them pune bitches! As I hiked on down to the my spot on the river, old man Philpot drove on past me in his old pickup, damn, I wish he'd of offered me a ride, it was bejezzies hot and humid, pushing the feels like temps to Fucking HOT! By the time I got down to the corner, he was driving back and stopped to let me know that there was a bear laying down in the back corner of the corn field. I said thanks and headed off out into the cool water while drinking a beer. I few bugs were floating on by, a couple of yellow drakes, some sulfurs, bwos and midgets. Tied on a dry and went to work. Damit it! I forgot to but the memory card back in the camera! Fuck, I can only take 4 photos with the built in memory. Why the hell they can't put in 8, 16, or 32 GB of memory is beyond me! Well hell, one fish photo and one beer photo is all you're gonna get for today's report.

Well it took a while to post this up, cause while I was at work yesterday, dad had another fall, passed out on the bathroom floor, mom called 911 and they transported him to the ER. Spent the day having him checked out and bringing him back home, he's pretty much back to his old self. When the splint comes off in two weeks, I'm headed up on a spring creek road trip with the Spork and Translywader...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 18, 2016, 11:28:56 AM
When the splint comes off in two weeks, I'm headed up on a spring creek road trip with the Spork and Translywader...

He's on speaking terms with you again?  Lucky! I'm no longer FB friends with him  :'(

P.S. young people are stupid