Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Update. They are reducing flow today from current 250 cfs to 150 cfs. Not sure of timing but most likely you will be able to see difference by mid afternoon.

My guess is that all the extra water has been disparated and without more rain they are only releasing enough to meet regulatory requirements. We definitely need to keep watch of the temperatures. 80 degrees is the danger point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Need to keep the water cool for my beer stash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fin

Quote from: Al on July 13, 2017, 11:52:20 AM
Update. They are reducing flow today from current 250 cfs to 150 cfs. Not sure of timing but most likely you will be able to see difference by mid afternoon.

My guess is that all the extra water has been disparated and without more rain they are only releasing enough to meet regulatory requirements. We definitely need to keep watch of the temperatures. 80 degrees is the danger point.

What's the latest on the damn dam?  I haven't heard any updates lately.

Al

Quote from: Fin on July 15, 2017, 07:04:46 AM

Just got home - Nothing new that I am aware of but let me check.

Fin

Quote from: Al on July 15, 2017, 16:55:22 PM
Quote from: Fin on July 15, 2017, 07:04:46 AM

When are the repairs/construction supposed to be completed?  I know it's been pushed back several times already; I was just wondering what is the new it'll be done date?

Al

Quote from: Fin on July 15, 2017, 21:02:53 PM

[/quote]
When are the repairs/construction supposed to be completed?  I know it's been pushed back several times already; I was just wondering what is the new it'll be done date?
[/quote]

Late August, early September is the last word which was passed on to me. I will check this week to see if that has changed and will post as soon as I know more.

troutfanatic

I need to do a bug expedition. I can use some help...

I had the kids up in the sulfur hole on friday evening, hatch was weak, but fish were rising. I didn't fish. I guided the kids. The roped in about a dozen. I pumped stomachs on a few, plenty of sulfur in them bellies, a smaller midge looking critter and some baetis.

Woolly Bugger

yeah the sulfurs are winding down, saw more bwos today.. and midges.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

I'll be up there Tues. Last time I was up there I had better luck on BWOs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

troutfanatic

I had kids throwing mixed bag, parachute and comparadun sulfurs- weak response. Switched one to Barr emerger in BWbro, and the other on a sulfur  CDC biot, that's when they started connecting. By spinner fall it was too dark to re tie so we caught lighting bugs.

Al

Heads up - here is latest. Got to give tip of the hat to COE & DGIF who are monitoring and working together to prevent a fish kill. Pray for rain or cooler temperatures guys because there is only so much water in the lake and we still have August ahead.

"We will be increasing releases this afternoon from Philpott. Currently releasing 150 cfs. Going to 250 cfs.

Water temperatures are rising in the Smith with our lower release. Temperatures are going to increase later in the week, with decreased chance for rain.

If we get some relief eventually with good rain or cooler temps then we will consider going back to the 150 cfs and being a little more conservative with our storage in the lake. Until then, we will need to maintain close to 250 cfs."

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 16, 2017, 20:59:35 PM
yeah the sulfurs are winding down, saw more bwos today.. and midges.

and those risers ate the hell out of my beetle ; -0-

Al

Answer to the question of when does Philpott expect to be back to normal operations

"Al, latest news I heard from work inside the Powerhouse was September.  There were a few issues getting modifications done within the contract.  I know this has been a long time coming but we are getting close"

Al

Cutting back to 200 cfs starting today. Anticipate this will continue for at least a week and perhaps longer.

They are watching downstream temperatures and are same time trying to conserve water. Philpott pool is currently below optimum level

Pray for rain

Dougfish

Need rain. Yes. A good pulse will go downstream for the river fest. Need more before, and after.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006