News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Another good weekend

Started by Hatch, July 18, 2008, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatch

Fished down off Atlantic Beach on Saturday. Seas were kind of sporty in the morning but we managed to get by.  Lots things were working against us in the morning, finding bait, rough seas, 15-20 knot wind, ext. We ended up running off shore about 6-7 miles to some live bottom and a wreck. Found tons of cigar minnows and stocked the live well. While the bait was being caught I strung up my 12 wt. and tied on one of the largest popper flies I had. Figured with rough seas I wanted something that was going to make a tone of noise on the top. Well, took two cast off the bow and an Amber Jack exploded on the popper. 10 min later he we were taking pictures of him. My buddy that was fishing with me does not fly fish so we promptly rigged up a spinning outfit with a large popper. A few min later Another AJ was hooked up. We decided not to put any live bait in the water due to the fishes willingness to hit the flies and artificials. We picked away at the AJs for a while and then started to notice some very large Cudas form time to time. By this time i had already lost two flies due to the Cudas. I tied on a needle fish fly with some wire in hopes of hooking one and actually getting it to the boat. Well, I hooked one and it threw the hook :evil: Got tired of Cudas breaking me off so I put a popper back on and we got back into the AJs. This is when things got a little interesting....My buddy is throwing a popper on the spinning and I am on the fly. Both poppers are about 5 feet from each other as we are working them back to the boat. About 10-15 yards before we get them back to the boat a huge bill comes up and slashes right through both poppers. I feel the line go tight and then nothing. I watch in disbelief as a large sail swims away. No one spoke on the boat for about 30 seconds due to the shock of what just happened. We were looking at each other like "did I just see what i think I saw" Very cool experience! Well, ended the day with 4 AJs on fly.... and 2 Cudas on live bait at the end of the day. My buddy landed 5-6 AJs, I can't quite remember, and 2 Cudas. One of his Cudas was pretty nice, probably in the 25 lb range. I was surprised we did not hook up with any kings or large spanish with so much life around us. We did see a few mystery fish crashing through the bait balls. Had something chasing one of my flies that I could not tell what it was but did see a very large bright blue/green fish when a swell came by. Probably a dolphin but not sure.

Very fun day out on the water and I can not wait to do it again next weekend with my fiance in Charleston.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

fanfuckingtacular  --  :o Sounds like a great day on the salt... those forked tale devils must put up an awesome fight... 12wt hun?

can't wait for the pics of the fiance in da boat!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

dalton

Sick report, what kind of boat is that?

EDIT - Just saw your other report, from the bow looks like a Jones Bros Cape Fisherman?

Beetle

Nice report.  Those are some nice reef donkeys.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

brownhunter

Most excellent report  0--0

Can't wait for more  ;hb
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me