Wounded Warriors & NCHCS Fish @ NCWRC Pechmann Center 8-12-09

Started by Al, August 13, 2009, 13:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The threat of rain did not deter at least twenty anglers linked to the Wounded Warrior and NC Handicapped Sportsmen community from participating in the 2nd Wednesday of each month fishing event at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center. Although we continue to call it a WW & NCHS event we have opened it up to all military connected personnel.

We decided to go right to fishing today and did not offer fly tying or introductory fly fishing instruction. As luck would have it we had a few folks who showed up for the first time just for that type of instruction. We improvised with one of the NCWRC technicians doing double duty on the fly tying vice (Sorry no photo). We remain flexible and will continue with fly tying and introductory fly fishing skills as the need dictates.

Lots of kids this time. We placed a spincast rod and container of worms in their hands just about the time the area was hit with a light drizzle.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First fish of the day was a nice catfish caught by this young fellow whose dad is currently deployed to the war zone.

Not to be outdone, his sister got in the act.

I have a new girl friend whom I call "Georgia" (real name is Savannah) - She is the daughter of one of the Wounded Warriors and comes out to just about every event. She loves to fish and can catch them as well or better then the boys.

This dad and his two kids started out with two rods but finally figured that to avoid lots of confusion it was better that they take turns with one rod. No problem - all three  had a blast. These 2nd Wednesday's make for some quality family time.

"Georgia's" brother tries to keep up with his fish catching sister.

It doesn't get much better then this. We often forget that the families of our soldiers are also in the fight. My own kids could tell you that being the family of a soldier during wartime is not easy. If these fishing events help smooth some of the bumps and bring a smile to troubled faces we have accomplished what we set out to do.

Our next Wounded Warrior & NC Handicapped Sportsmen fishing event will take place on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 from 1-5pm.

troutrus

Kudos Al.  0--0 0--0

No fishing more fun than with kids and their smiles.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!