News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

legend of shit

Started by driver, June 05, 2017, 20:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

Had to go up to PA this weekend to my MIL's. I had all day Saturday to fish. I have never had a great day of fishing in PA. I don't think I've ever had a day where I caught more than 5 fish. I have never lived there and only fish there during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I usually only fish the eastern side which seems to just suck for wild trout.

After a conversation about PA with Spork, and being used to not catching anything in PA. I decided to hit one of the legendary limestoners of south central PA. From what reading I have done, they all sound like crap now, and the pressure is ridiculous. I'm not really into throwing size 24 flies. After a very little research and a quick chat with a guy at the LFS, I went to Big Spring Creek, he said it would be the most true to feel limestoner. My hope of catching a fish was very low to start with, so if I didn't catch anything I was fine with that. At least i get to see a pretty cool crik.

Got in to the MIL's at 2am Saturday morning, so getting up early for the 1.5 hour drive was tough, then hit horrible traffic on the interstate. After stopping at the LFS to get some stream specific flies, it was 11:30 when I got to the stream and all of the clouds had burned away to blue bird skies.

Well this is a very interesting stream. Unlike anything i have fished before. The watercress and other vegetation on the streambed was definitely different.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

One thing I love about PA is the barns, they aren't the half ass log tobacco barns we have here. They are huge, ornate, and about 12 inches of the road.

This is where this creek comes out of the ground, I found it cool that this creek comes out of the ground as a medium size creek

The only fish I caught, A stunningly colored bow with an orange belly.

I saw lots of fish, but 99% were punes and didn't want anything to do with what I had. There were only midges coming off. I did run into a local riding his bike down to the river to have a look, we BSed for an hour about fishing and hunting and comparing states. He told me he had been living there since the 60's and told me about giant 20-30 inch browns that used to be here. But he said he rarely ever fishes Big Spring anymore because it just isn't worth it anymore.

Was a great experience and I will probably never go out of my way to do that again, but I'm glad I got to have a look.

itieuglyflies

Nice report and a new experience....and you did land a beautiful fish on a famous limestone stream. I too have fished some " legendary" waters only to find I was a few years too late but that is ok. It just makes us realize  some of our home waters are pretty damn good and things change. I have found in my many years that if something is good go for it, and enjoy it , as it is very likely that it will not stay that way.

Dee-Vo

Pretty area. At least you got a fish.

DRIFTS

Nice... any fishing time no matter how it goes down is still ok by me  0:0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Yallerhammer

Man, that's a nice rainbow. I absolutely suck at fishing slick water where you can see the fish. I am not into flies the size of dandruff flakes and 25-foot 7x leaders.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

Spring creek USA = Hammered into oblivion.

Purdy, though.  'c;
Nice fish, btw.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Grannyknot

you mentioned not using size 24 flies...what size did you catch that one on?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

BrookieHunter

Looks like some tough water for sure.

Beautiful though and infinitely better than not fishing.  'c;

driver

Quote from: Grannyknot on June 06, 2017, 06:29:56 AM
you mentioned not using size 24 flies...what size did you catch that one on?

size 20 adams

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 06, 2017, 05:20:11 AM
Man, that's a nice rainbow. I absolutely suck at fishing slick water where you can see the fish. I am not into flies the size of dandruff flakes and 25-foot 7x leaders.

Did this at the SoHo last year. Tiny flies, super long and light leaders. Pain in the ass for me. I will admit that I found it challenging as it required me to really focus -  to the point that I almost didn't make it out of that river when the water was coming up. That was scary.

sanjuanwormhatch

Spring creeks are tough.  I too am not a yuge fan of size 24 files but I imagine if I had the time to dial it in, it'd be pretty sweet.

tomato can

I love limestone spring creeks.  I gotta get up there to PA this summer and fish some. 

Yallerhammer

Hell, it would take me a half an hour to get a #24 fly tied on nowadays.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

driver

Quote from: tomato can on June 06, 2017, 15:28:56 PM
I love limestone spring creeks.  I gotta get up there to PA this summer and fish some.

I have yet to discover a reason to drive PA to trout fish. But I've have only fished SE and SC PA. I need to try the Poconos and Central, I usually only have a day to fish and those make long day trips.

NCsporksman

My brother lives too close to not justify making a "pilgrimage" to Letort or some such. It's the talk of summer time musky stacked up in a certain river that's gonna light a fire under my ass to actually do it..maybe next month or year.... or whatever, who's got a bote and wants to take a shot in the dark?  -+;