News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What happened to Big J?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, December 18, 2020, 10:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: driver on December 26, 2020, 09:27:17 AMI was given this book as a Christmas Present yesterday. I found it mind blowing what is actually edible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1604694998/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4B05FbZ1EFWQQ

I bet my wife's cooking ain't in that book. 

An interesting thread might be the "odd" foods we recall (or still consume) from our rearing, or youth.   

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on December 26, 2020, 09:27:17 AMI was given this book as a Christmas Present yesterday. I found it mind blowing what is actually edible.

https://amzn.to/2WLPznB

Let us know which ones you try...

In Eric Rudolph's story he claims to have processed acorns, leaching the tannins, and storing them for use throughout the winter but I have my doubts to the truth of his story of survival..

Has anybody here eaten acorns?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 26, 2020, 10:22:14 AM

In Eric Rudolph's story he claims to have processed acorns, leaching the tannins, and storing them for use throughout the winter but I have my doubts to the truth of his story of survival..

https://www.organicfacts.net/acorns-edible.html

Hot Water Leaching
Hot water leaching is a rapid process, but it doesn't result in as high-quality of an acorn, nor will the resulting flour be as effective, if your intention is to make a nutrient-dense flour with the nuts. However, hot leaching can be done relatively quickly.

Step 1: Fill a pot with the acorns you wish to leach, filling no more than 1/3 of the pot.
Step 2: Pour water into the pot to the 2/3 mark and bring to a boil.
Step 3: The water will turn brown as the acorns are boiled.
Step 4: Dump the water and re-fill the pot with fresh water.
Step 5: Repeat the boiling and dumping process at least 3-4 times, until the bitterness is removed from the acorns.
Step 6: In some acorns, this can take 8-10 rounds of boiling.
Cold Water Leaching
While cold water leaching requires a bit more effort, experts and those who cook often with these nuts say that this is how to get the highest-quality acorns for cooking. If you are planning to use the nuts and grind them into a flour, the cold leaching approach is the best. There are two main approaches to cold water leaching – one using a toilet tank, and the other using a jar. [7]

Toilet Tank

Step 1: Empty the back of your toilet tank and scrub it thoroughly.
Step 2: Add the shelled acorns to a cheesecloth and tie it.
Step 3: Hang the acorns bag in the toilet tank so it is submerged when the tank fills up.
Step 4: Each time the tank fills and flushes, it will leach more and more of the tannins from the nuts.
Step 5: This could take days or weeks, depending on how often you use your toilet.
Jar Method

Step 1: You will need to grind the acorns into powder using a hand mill or food processor.
Step 2: Add the powdered acorns into a large sealable jar.
Step 3: Fill the jar the rest of the way with tap water.
Step 4: Shake the jar and place in the refrigerator.
Step 5: Wait 24 hours and then slowly pour out the tannin-filled water.
Step 6: Repeat this process 3-4 times, then taste the acorn meal.
Step 7: Some overly bitter acorns will require 6-7 rounds of this process.

Woolly Bugger

@Onslow, I know how it's done, Eric described Hot water leaching... I know he had a lot of "free" time on his hands, but he was building fires all the time, or so he says...

p.s. I have no desire to eat acorns..
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 26, 2020, 11:42:20 AM@Onslow, I know how it's done, Eric described Hot water leaching... I know he had a lot of "free" time on his hands, but he was building fires all the time, or so he says...

I tend to agree with your gut feeling about his supposed years in the wild.  I suspect he was living in someone's basement, and cooking acorns in the backyard due to boredom when not smoking weed.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on December 26, 2020, 11:49:18 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 26, 2020, 11:42:20 AM@Onslow, I know how it's done, Eric described Hot water leaching... I know he had a lot of "free" time on his hands, but he was building fires all the time, or so he says...

I tend to agree with your gut feeling about his supposed years in the wild.  I suspect he was living in someone's basement, and cooking acorns in the backyard due to boredom when not smoking weed.

Then again he did have all that dynamite stashed all over the woods

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/eric-rudolph-new-evidence/

I don't know if they ever found any huge caches of food at the many camps he describes in his jailhouse writings
me -There's a season?

Big J

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Had to go to Blacksburg to pick up a bassinet for the new addition and just had to stop.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 19, 2020, 09:19:15 AM
Quote from: Big J on December 19, 2020, 08:55:20 AM
Quote from: driver on December 18, 2020, 19:31:24 PMFatback Soul Shack! This sounds amazing.

It's pretty darn good. If you ever are coming up 81 thru Blacksburg it's right off 81 there. Worth a stop. The collard greens is what got Hiner.

Yes, they serve very good greens.  I have not had the Shack's greens since I left the area in 2016, but they reminded me of my grandmother's, and one of many regrets from my youth.

My granny would take her grand kids to pick all sort of greens around the farm.  We'd carry the basket and she'd pick.  I should have paid attention.  The only green-like stuff I remember picking is watercress, likely because it only needed a good rinsing, then slapped on a bread with potted meat for instant satisfaction.
My mom and grandma were big on wild greens. They were always out picking something, and had me helping them. No watercress around here, but we ate tons of branch lettuce (brook saxifrage.) Also poke sallet, creasy greens, sochan, yellow dock, dandelions, stinging nettles, ramps, and a bunch of other similar stuff.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 26, 2020, 10:22:14 AM

Yes. Edible after a lot of work, but certainly no gourmet fare.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff