Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

"Merica .... the land of stupid...

Flag confusion - Norway or Confederate?

B&B chooses to remove Norwegian Flag -- dozens confused their flag for the confederate battle flag...

The owners of a US bed and breakfast have removed a Norwegian flag from outside their business after being accused of promoting racism from people who thought it was a Confederate flag.

You cannot view this attachment.

The Nordic country's flag had been hung opposite the American flag outside The Nordic Pineapple in St Johns, Michigan.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/31/norwegian-flag-mix-up-sees-us-b-b-wrongly-accused-of-promoting-racism

video interview of B&B owner,,,

https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/video/flag-confusion-norway-or-confederate/5726600/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

VMI Will Keep Its Confederate Statues

>>>The Virginia Military Institute will keep its statues of Confederate soldiers -- including Stonewall Jackson, who taught at VMI -- and preserve the names of building that honor them, J. H. Binford Peay III, the superintendent, announced last week. "We do not currently intend to remove any VMI statues or rename any VMI buildings. Rather, in the future we will emphasize recognition of leaders from the institute's second century. We will place unvarnished context on the value and lessons to be learned from the Institute's rich heritage, while being mindful of the nation's challenges and sensitivities to being fair and inclusive to all," he wrote in a letter to VMI students and alumni.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/08/03/vmi-will-keep-its-confederate-statues
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Magnolias, Beer Cans and Football: Mississippi Is Designing A New State Flag

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

In reversal, ornithologists yank Confederate general's name from bird

>>>Last week, another Confederate monument fell. The monument, in this case, was taxonomic: McCown's longspur—a grassland bird native to the central United States—will henceforth be known as the thick-billed longspur, the North American Classification Committee (NACC) announced on 7 August.

The decision comes nearly 2 years after a graduate student in ornithology first proposed renaming the bird, which was dubbed for John McCown, a Confederate general in the Civil War. NACC initially rejected the proposal, with some members citing McCown's "legitimate contributions to ornithology" and noting that "it is widely known that judging historical figures by current moral standards is problematic, unfair to some degree, and rarely black-and-white." But amid the recent social reckoning ignited by the May killing of George Floyd, the panel gave the proposal a fresh look and decided to join other scientific disciplines in stripping the names of racists and eugenicists from species, buildings, and prizes in their fields.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/reversal-ornithologists-yank-confederate-general-s-name-bird
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>As the country's debate over their modern value rages on, Confederate monuments at Gettysburg National Military Park will soon be paired with interpretive panels telling visitors how and why each came to stand on that hallowed ground.

Plans are underway for the National Park Service to put up panels with historical context near 12 Confederate monuments on Seminary Ridge: the state monuments for Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, and the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors monument, according to Jason Martz, a local spokesperson for the National Parks Service.

https://www.publicopiniononline.com/story/news/local/2020/08/12/gettysburg-confederate-monuments-get-panels-historical-context/3354401001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Dozens of Confederate symbols have been removed since May. How many in North Carolina?

>>>RALEIGH — Fifty-nine Confederate symbols across the United States have been removed, relocated or renamed since the death of George Floyd in May sparked protests calling for an end to racism, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Of those, the group says 40 symbols were taken down by officials or protesters, with no plans to bring them back to their original locations. Another five were relocated, which means they got new homes.

In North Carolina, the SPLC tally includes 10 symbols that were removed and three others that were relocated from places where they had stood for decades. But an analysis from McClatchy News found a higher count, with 19 Confederate statues coming down so far this year.

https://greensboro.com/news/state/dozens-of-confederate-symbols-have-been-removed-since-may-how-many-in-north-carolina/article_b9be958c-de5e-11ea-a03e-2338b3958866.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Rut ro!

You cannot view this attachment.

d:b  d:b

#lawsmatter #statuesmatter
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Gettysburg's First Confederate Monument

>>>The current of debate concerning Confederate monuments in the United States continues to rage and now flows to the country's national battlefield parks.  A resolution recently approved by the US House of Representatives calls for the removal of Confederate monuments and placards from the Gettysburg National Military Park landscape.  This resolution has, of course, generated a great deal of conversation.  Those who oppose Confederate monument removal in all cases are critical of the decision of the House.  There are those, however, who support removal from local communities but are advocating for maintaining Confederate monuments on battlefields. The National Park Service recently announced that interpretative panels will be added to provide context for the battlefield's state Confederate monuments.  While this debate progresses, it is worthwhile to look at the first Confederate monument dedicated on the Gettysburg battlefield and the reaction it generated.

2,000 veterans and civilians gathered at Gettysburg on November 19, 1886 to witness a historic moment.  On this day, the first Confederate monument on the Gettysburg battlefield was unveiled, the 2nd Maryland Confederate Infantry Monument.  Captain George Thomas had the honor of giving the dedicatory address.  Citing the "bitterness and heartburning" of the Civil War, Thomas noted the incredibility "that the men of the South could be here to perpetuate by monumental record the memory of their own achievements."  As he neared the end of his forty-five-minute speech Thomas contended that history of Gettysburg now belonged "to no section, and to no time" but was, rather, a "joint heritage of the North and of the South."

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/177125

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Confederate statues would be removed from national parks under new push in Congress

>>>WASHINGTON —  The Georgia Monument at the Chickamauga portion of the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park features an obelisk with a Confederate soldier at its top.

Near Andersonville, a monument stands to honor Henry Wirz, commandant of the stockade of Camp Sumter, a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp where inhumane conditions led to a high mortality rate and the post-war execution of Wirz.

And at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park, a tribute to the 14 Georgian generals who led forces there includes a marker that says: "Success of an army is but a reflection of the skill, leadership, courage and inspiration of its generals."

The push for the federal government to get rid of Confederate statues and memorials in national parks is a new campaign that is gaining some traction this year as opposition to the public display of Confederate symbols grows.

https://georgiarecorder.com/2020/08/31/confederate-statues-would-be-removed-from-national-parks-under-new-push-in-congress/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>Another city has taken the initiative to remove a public reference to the Confederate Army that fought against the Union during the U.S. Civil War in defense of slavery.

The city council of Lexington, Va., voted unanimously on Thursday to approve the name change of the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery, the Associated Press reports.

The cemetery will henceforth be called Oak Grove Cemetery.

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Woolly Bugger

I see no point in removing this monument!

n!n  :wave

Fairfax County votes to remove marker of Confederate death

>>>FAIRFAX, Va. — A northern Virginia county has voted to remove a monument marking the spot where the first Confederate soldier died in the Civil War.

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors voted 9-1 at its Tuesday meeting to remove the stone marker and two cannons placed on either side of it on the grounds of the county courthouse.

The monument marks the spot where Capt. John Marr of the Warrenton Rifles was killed in the Battle of Fairfax Court House on June 1, 1861.

The six-ton granite monument was unveiled in 1904 and bears a simple inscription noting that it marks the scene where Marr died.

The monument will be placed in storage. The county estimates the removal cost at $20,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fairfax-county-votes-to-remove-marker-of-confederate-death/2020/09/16/eb73b014-f838-11ea-85f7-5941188a98cd_story.html
me -There's a season?

Al