Smith River and Generation schedule

Started by Larry, March 27, 2007, 09:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

The generation schedule on the Smith River is terrible. I can't remember when the schedule was so bad for fishing during the week.  It would be really nice if they would only generate in the morning or the evening and not both. Does anyone have any influence with these people? I attended the meeting on the Smith 216 study and it seems that they did not hear what everyone was saying. Is there anything we can do and anybody we can write to let them know what we think? For anyone that doesn't know, they are generating from 5:00 A. M. until 12 Noon and them from 5:00 P. M. until about 9 at night during the week and have had the same general schedule for the past two weeks.

cpranger

Dominion Power Company controlls the generation schedule not the Corps.

Al

Quote from: cpranger on March 27, 2007, 09:43:53 AM
Dominion Power Company controlls the generation schedule not the Corps.

It is not that simple. Has to do with water available, and opportunity to sell it at peak rate to users of the electric grid.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but someone who does monitors these forums and may step in to clarify how they decide when to generate.

I agree the generation schedule has not been very fisherman friendly lately. Makes one wonder how much water they still have upstream of the dam.

Larry

According to the brochure they gave out at the meeting, "due to severe flooding for many years, Congress authorized the construction of the Philpott Dam to tame the Smith River".  If the brochure is correct, the primary reason for the construction of the dam was to control the flooding.

I was at the meeting and did hear all that was said. I wondered later why some of the other representatives did not speak. I also had to wonder how much of a vested interest the gentlemen that did provide all of the responses has in the power grid.

Last, I don't understand how you get 7+ hours of fishing out of their schedule. They generate from 5:00 A. M. until 12 Noon and start back at 5:00 P.M. That is 5 hours according to my math unless you want to run down stream to stay ahead of the flood.  My other point was that it would be nice if you could fish sun rise or sun set on occasion.

phg

Are they generating on weekends too?  I know several people were thinking of going up there on a Sat of Sun.  It's a bit of a drive for most of us NC fishermen....

Woolly Bugger

They ran water last w/e, but the current announcement doesn't mention the w/e plans, it only through Friday,

o-o :P :o

Wish they would make the announcement consistent.

Call Friday and see if they've updated, and then call Sat before leaving home....

276 629-2432
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: bowsreign on March 30, 2007, 07:36:48 AM
Fresh rainbows were stocked in the lower section on Thursday(3/29). Rainbows were also stocked in the upper and lower sections on 3/15. Should be plenty left. If you get up there this weekend, do the Browns a favor and remove a limit of those rainbows.

I took care of a cooler full of them today, getting read to fry them up in a little bit. I had to take a little nap after I got home. That fishing is hard work.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Nice bottle of Jager  ;D ;D ;D ;D 0--0

You use the trout for bait?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.