News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

ASU and Boone, NC

Started by Rog 1, November 29, 2011, 15:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog 1

My son came home at Thanksgiving and informed us that he has become dissatisfied with his first choice of schools and informed us that he is contemplating transferring to Appalachian State next year.  While this will end up costing us more money since he is a non-resident I immediately saw the silver lining in this dark cloud.  I have never been to Boone but have read posts over the years by several members who were in school there.  I was just wondering what this area has to offer in the way of local trout fishing and where to go for some reliable information on those occasions that we are up there visiting.  Now I just have to work on locking all my gear away when the time comes for him to head north....thanks.

franzenangler

When you visit let me know, I know the area and streams like the back of my hand
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

Transylwader

Quote from: franzenangler on November 29, 2011, 16:10:13 PM
When you visit let me know, I know the area and streams like the back of my hand
You be tellin any Watauga/Ashe Co blueline secrets, I will find you and ship you in a card board box to South Africa >:D

FoulHook

I graduated from ASU this past summer. Lived in Boone for the 4 years I was there. I know a few streams, and the DH program around the area is pretty good.  I would recommend going to Appalachian Anglers on HWY 105 near Valley Crucis as well as Foscoe Outfitters on HWY 105 in Foscoe (about 15 minutes from Boone) and talk to some of the shop employees. Also get a map.  The Linville area isn't too far away and has a number of good streams (which I unfortunately haven't gotten to fish yet so can't verify that).  If you have any questions about the school, town, off-campus housing, or anything, send me a PM, I'd be glad to help you. I'll be there next weekend for the NCAA playoffs too!

Franzen lives pretty close in Lenoir, so he is probably much more familiar with the local waters than I am.

PS: Basin Creek  :P
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

franzenangler

Quote from: Transylwader on November 29, 2011, 16:13:22 PM
Quote from: franzenangler on November 29, 2011, 16:10:13 PM
You be tellin any Watauga/Ashe Co blueline secrets, I will find you and ship you in a card board box to South Africa >:D

Haha I wouldn't mind that, then I could go catch huge smallmouth bass, rainbows, yellowfish and huge browns    -0- -0-.  You know me though I don't give away my bluelines, only streams everyone knows bout like the ones where every time you go there is someone else fishing.

franzenangler

franzenangler

Good deal man! Ill be sure to let alan know

Grannyknot

Lived right downtown behind Mast for a while after college.  Very cool place.  Shitty if you are looking for a job though.
Lots of opportunity for outdoor activity.  I spent a lot of time backpacking and mtn biking in the Wilson Creek area.  There are no fish there though.  ;D
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.