News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Man On a Mission

Started by Yallerhammer, June 23, 2021, 17:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

*Trigger Warning: May contain non-elitist fishing activities, death, and violent destruction of sacred fishes. May also contain non-wild fake trout and non-pristine settings. Six trout were harmed in the making of this report, and a couple dozen more trout and non-game fishes were probably not happy afterwards. I also was dipping Red Seal snuff while fishing, and was likely half-intoxicated. And probably said some decidedly non-Christian dirty words when I snagged rigs on the bottom or tree limbs.*

I haven't posted anything in here in awhile, so I figured I'd write one up. Nothing special or exotic or philosophical this time, just a morning trip near home for a couple hours on some non-pristine water.

I was assigned a mission the other morning. My wife told me she wanted grilled trout for supper. Oh, the unsavory and unpleasant things a man has to do to keep a woman happy. But, she swings a pretty mean frying pan, so out of fear and love, I reluctantly agreed that I would go catch some trout. I guess somebody had to do it. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy, and all that.

My wife snatched up the dog and headed out with it somewhere to get its toenails chopped off. Sounds silly I guess, but I think it's a great idea, because the dog is a mean, vicious little critter and likes its toenails just like they are. It bites me when I chop them. It has very sharp teeth and strong jaws. I do not enjoy dog bites any more than I enjoy frying pan wounds. Let somebody else at the dog-chopping place get bitten. At least they're getting paid for it.

As she drove away with the suspicious dog, I loaded a nymph rod and assorted paraphernalia into my truck, and five minutes later, I arrived at the far-off, exotic destination of a creek just up the road. This is not a pristine stream. It has some nice parts, but other parts flow through cow pastures, cornfields, and trailer parks. There are things like junk cars, tires, plastic pipes, and barbed wire in it. But, it is also slap full of fish, both wild and stocked. It's one of my favorite little creeks that I fish very often, and have been doing so for over forty years. I could almost fish it blindfolded from one end to the other, and still call most of the strikes.

You cannot view this attachment.

The state is pretty much done stocking this year except for a few popular streams, but I knew there would be plenty of wild fish and still some holdover stockers left in out-of-the-way stretches, plump ones that have been in there long enough to get firmed up and act and taste like trout. These were the fish I was after for supper, specifically about six fat holdover rainbows in the 10"-12" range.

Like this one. Just exactly like this one that hit on my first cast.

And another couple like this that came from the next couple runs.

In between these, the wild browns were hitting good. They were not what I was after for supper, so I enjoyed catching them and turned them back to make more wild browns.

This nice butter-bellied 14" brown took the dropper, then lassoed himself with the point fly during the tussle.

To be continued.....​

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

The hornyheads were hitting good, too. There were hornyhead nests all over. Pretty amazing. They carry pebbles one by one in their mouths, and pile them up into big piles that they lay their eggs in, along with big swarms of shiners, darters, and other small creek fish. This one was about the size of a bushel basket, a lot of pebble totin' for an 8" fish:

I caught several of them. They are interesting little fish with funky tubercles on their head, big lips, and a taste for nymphs. I started to take about three of them home and tell my wife these were her fish for supper, but, then again, I dislike frying pan wounds.

After awhile, I came upon this neck-deep run. There were fish stacked up like cordwood in it. I caught eight trout from this one hole, and kept three, including one 13" brown that got hooked in the gills and probably wouldn't have lived.

I had my six fish I needed, and had caught a bunch more to boot. It was starting to get hot, so I broke down my rod and started on the perilous five-minute journey back to home.

My wife was happy, especially after I cooked this up for her:

So, fun was had, and no dog bites or frying pan wounds.

Oh, and thought of the day: Fuck! All y'all trashy lazy, mentally deficient littering lowlifes, quit leaving crap like this out there for me to have to pick up. If you toted it in full, you can tote it out empty. It won't kill you. If I can carry it out and throw it away, you can too. I have faith in you. I hope you get warts in your unmentionable regions.

Fin.​

Phil

Trout Maharishi

Pagen music, dead stockers, horney heads, night crawler containers :bow You should have been down there to the Cove Creek Baptist church getting your heathen ass saved :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 23, 2021, 17:38:55 PMPagen music, dead stockers, night crawler containers :bow You should have been down there to the Cove Creek Baptist church getting your heathen ass saved :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh: Those first few pics were maybe a mile and a half from it. I got saved one time, and baptized in that same creek about a mile upstream from where I started, in that big hole below the arn bridge. I don't think it took.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Trout Maharishi

Rode by it hundreds of times, never fished it, big mistake.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 23, 2021, 17:52:28 PMRode by it hundreds of times, never fished it, big mistake.

Yep. Everything from big browns to specks in the headwaters.

Dougfish

Good whacking!
They do taste better after they get off those pellets.
 'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 23, 2021, 17:38:55 PMPagen music, dead stockers, horney heads, night crawler containers :bow You should have been down there to the Cove Creek Baptist church getting your heathen ass saved :laugh:

And besides, I'm already a member of the Owl Creek Gap Church of Universal Harmony.  :laugh:

greg

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 24, 2021, 05:22:38 AM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 23, 2021, 17:38:55 PMPagen music, dead stockers, horney heads, night crawler containers :bow You should have been down there to the Cove Creek Baptist church getting your heathen ass saved :laugh:

And besides, I'm already a member of the Owl Creek Gap Church of Universal Harmony.  :laugh:
you and Tewksbury

Big J

I concur with your final ending statement. People can be the worst.  Your TR was not however.  Nicely done. d:b

brownhunter

Nicely done Yaller!!! Most excellent post and I enjoyed reading and perusing the pictures while I am at work. Nice getaway though!
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Very nice.   Several familiar words – "hornyheads", "stacked up like cordwood".    That Appalachian fluency paying dividends.

Appreciate the fried trout, a threatened and maybe endangered species, but I must ask why you decapitated the brown before cooking? 

Loved the hornyhead photos.  Boss needs to use this fish for some member labels as a replacement for steelhead, native brook trout, etc.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 24, 2021, 09:11:49 AMVery nice.   Several familiar words – "hornyheads", "stacked up like cordwood".    That Appalachian fluency paying dividends.

Appreciate the fried trout, a threatened and maybe endangered species, but I must ask why you decapitated the brown before cooking? 

Loved the hornyhead photos.  Boss needs to use this fish for some member labels as a replacement for steelhead, native brook trout, etc.   

Simple. It was too long to fit in my fish grilling basket that I set on the grill. :) Same with one of the rainbows.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: greg on June 24, 2021, 06:06:20 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 24, 2021, 05:22:38 AM

you and Tewksbury
Si, da.  :laugh: