News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Interesting Float

Started by Onslow, August 27, 2017, 19:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

This particular beat at this old river is been an area of interest for some time. It seemed to have enough impediments to keep the rec floaters off on the lower section.  Today I spent big, and paid $35 for a vehicle shuttle provided by an area outfitter since I couldn't get anyone to join.  FishWhisper was off to the Yadkin to do a yo-yo float since he had to be back at the house by 2 PM. 

I wanted to try some new approaches.  Topwater deer hair, and a clawdad.  The clawdad seems to be a mighty fine producer on smaller flows, and thought perhaps I could duplicate last weekends results on a larger scale...larger fish.  I flailed for an hour an hour and a half and managed only this.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

While laboring, a deer proceeded to to make a long journey across the river, nearly running over my son as he fished.

After some time, we came upon the bridge that is the take out for most.  I took a break, switched out the reels, and tied on the standard PE, and Intruder.

No need to hate on the thistle.  Thistles, and their relatives produce nectar that makes a fine light honey.

Below the bridge, I thought my fortunes would change.  Worked a couple nice pools, then things got rather skinny.  Thought the eminent rapids would indicate more deep water, and pockets, but no such luck.

I couple things became apparent at this point.  One, I should have been fishing for Carp.  Secondly I had misread the sat. imagery.  Too much damned skinny until we came across Double Shoals.  Not sure why it is called Double Shoals.  There are four distinct rapids between. The first is quite the humdinger, the second is pretty straight forward.  The third is complex.  The main flow runs upon a cluster of rocks shoving current every direction on the compass.  This drop required a right eddy turn, and an off-side ferry to catch an unobstructed tongue of water.  The last rapids wasn't too technical. Thankfully the water was low.  I suspect this area is a screamer at 3000 cfs. This complex of rapids that extends for over a mile requires much more skill to navigate than Foster Falls.

I could have stopped to fish more along the way, but I did have concerns about my son getting in trouble in the rapids and needing help.  I kept him within eyesight down this section.

The middle of the first rapid

Some random shootage between the top of Double Shoals and the lake.  Managed to make a few casts, but was mainly taunted by beautiful gold jumping carp. No tailing pods, just a fish here & there.

The Double Shoals area ain't made for floatin.

Dee-Vo

Good for you on gettin' out. If I can ever assist with a shuttle just let me know.

driver

Purdy water, awesome day for a float. From everyone I talked to this weekend, fishing was poor. And I can attest for that as well.

Michael Toris

Caught some nice eyes and bass in that section this summer. Big ski water too. Wish I could have tagged along.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Onslow

Quote from: DAYUMson on August 27, 2017, 20:51:19 PM
Caught some nice eyes and bass in that section this summer. Big ski water too. Wish I could have tagged along.

If I were to fish this area again, I would take an entirely different approach. and it would not involve downriver floating.  I would plop down in a couple key spots, and hammer the hell out of em.  Out of the 6 hours spent on the river, only 3 were spent fishing at best.

DRIFTS

Glad u got through, my ole lady and I were up there Sat. to see what the ramps looked like, and after seeing this...I'll pass  0:0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Onslow

Quote from: DRIFTS on August 28, 2017, 05:16:06 AM
Glad u got through, my ole lady and I were up there Sat. to see what the ramps looked like, and after seeing this...I'll pass  0:0

You can take out at the bridge, but it's just a two mile float. 

There is a fairly new access at Rt 100 you might want to check out.  I think you'd do fine running Foster Falls ~1500 cfs.  It is fairly unobstructed, and the rest of the trip is very nice.  The Foster Falls > Rt 100 has many ledges that resemble giant reptile jaws which tend to be snaggy, particularly at  Big Bertha.  Many areas below Foster are super risky to wade...some of the nastiest water I've seen anywhere.

Dougfish

The phone rang, but it won't happening. Good on ya.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Have you ever caught the spring Walleye run there?  Is it legit or a joke?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Michael Toris

Quote from: The Dude on August 28, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Have you ever caught the spring Walleye run there?  Is it legit or a joke?
I feel as if we should discuss this via pm or text.

RiverbumCO

This dude floated the gnarest of our water and didn't concede council first.  I could have told you it would suck.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.