The Boy’s First Wild Stream (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, October 15, 2017, 16:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Today presented itself with no viable option for myself to get in the backcountry as I normally would. Brainstorming took place early on. My only option was to peruse my fishing log book for a bit to determine the easiest access into a wild stream. I've kept a detailed log of every wild/native stream I've spent time on. Today, my son would tag along. At 2.5 years old, he's been in a couple of rivers swimming and playing, and he's fished a pond many times for bass and bluegill.

This creek was a fine choice for access and hiking enjoyment, however it takes a bit to get to the trout. We never got that far. A couple chubs would suffice. Surprisingly, he did great on the 1-2 mile hike. After a bit, he was hungry and I felt bad for not having snacks, only water.

#learningcurve

He immensely enjoyed the huge rocks and moss and logs and stream. The next outing will be very easy access right on top of trout. I have places in mind.

On the ride home we stopped at a country store for hotdogs. Time is flying.

#prouddad

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Great trip report. I wish someone had taken me fishing way back when I might have learned to bait a hook a lot sooner.

Dougfish

Go, Dad. Win.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

BrookieHunter

Hell yea!!  'c;
If your not dead set on fly fishing you can always put him on some easy trout opening day of delayed harvest in June. I've been taking my ten year old for a stringer of stockers every year since he was two and he loves it.

Devinsdad

Good on ya Dad!!

Some of these guys remember the endless photos and trip reports I posted long ago on another forum.  They are my most cherished memories now that my youngun is almost 20 years old.   Savor every trip and take lots of photos.  Brag ....  damn time flies....

itieuglyflies

Trout not required for a special adventure with a little guy......even if you had caught a 15 in. brookie his memory would likely be of the hot dog he had or bug he saw along the way.....good stuff dad.

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

hcrum87hc

Great stuff!  As the father of a 7 month old, I can't wait to get her adventuring with me. 
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

Doin it rite

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Onslow

Enjoy him while he's young and agreeable. I hope you can get him to enjoy a little fishing.

Dee-Vo

Agreeable? In the "enjoyable" sense of the word, yes. In the "willing to agree" sense of the word, definitely not always.  -0-